Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bronaghxo
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2008, 12:15 AM

My dog is snapping and trying to bite.

My wonderful dog Maxi died 3 months ago. We waited 2 months and we got a new dog, Junior. He is 6 months old and is a collie/dashund. Today i was sitting on the sofa and his basket was beside my feet, he was chewing on a bone, i moved my feet a little and he started growling then i noticed he tried to snap at my feet. I told my dad and he said let me see.. so he sat were i was sitting and put his foot near him, he didnt do nothing so he moved it a tiny bit closer and suddenly Junior growled and tried to bite my dads foot. So my dad shouted at him and put him out the back. We have only had him 5 weeks but the past week he has been very snappy. Any advice on what we should do? My old dog was so gentle so we are new to this. Thanks.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 12:26 AM
Junior needs basic training. Teaching ''leave'' swops, No etc., and keep it up until he learns that when you move he has nothing to worry about.
5 weeks isn't long for you with his training and he is 6 months, so you haven't had him from being small. However he is after 5 weeks settling in and finding his feet....this is where bad habits surface. Is he a rescue, if so do you know any past history.
Training classes sound a great idea IMO this will give him some time to learn a few manners.

Good luck.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 09:39 AM
If he's food possessive, leave him alone when he's eating..... especially something as prized as a bone.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Have to agree Vicky, I would not go looking for trouble either, make sure he takes his food or treats in an area away from young members of the family (cage is ideal) and leave him alone to eat.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2008, 10:07 AM
if he is from rescue centre have you rung and told them and asked to speak to their behaviour people?
bronaghxo
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Hes a rescue dog. He bite my mom this morning, she had to go hostipal. She went to lift his lead and he just bit her arm. We rang the kennels and they said he was give away because the family said they couldnt cope with him and a dog warren had to go out and get him so they think he was give away because of his biting but we werent told that when we got him.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 01:26 PM
What are going to do now? He doesn't look suitable, does he. Sorry.....

Can you return him?
bronaghxo
New Member!
Female 

22-11-2008, 01:29 PM
We give him more than enough chances so i guess hes goina have to go back. The people at the kennels said he is not suitable and he shouldnt be around kids. Im actually scared of him now. My dad said hes going back tomorrow. I just wish i had my old dog back
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

22-11-2008, 01:30 PM
sounds like he is defensive, nervous aggressive even?

which rescue?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2008, 01:41 PM
This is so sad to hear What will happen to the poor thing now. Will he be re-homed in a house with not children do you think?
Sorry you have had such an awful experience with rescues, but I beleive that the rescue centre should have made this clear to you. Will you look for another dog?

By the way...how long have you had him?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >