Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bfetterman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2012, 11:56 AM

Worms?

Hey all. I'm feeling a bit embarrassed because I thought I knew more on this subject

I think my pup has worms. Yesterday he went out for a poo and I'm pretty sure there was an adult worm in his poo. My husband and I did some research and think its a roundworm, but he doesnt show any signs of having them. His poo has been normal except for a spout of diarrhea (lasted a little over a day) and there havent been any white specks in his poo. He does not have a pot-belly, his weight has been going up steadily, and his appetite has stayed about the same, no sudden increases. We're taking him to the vet tomorrow to start on de-wormer just to be safe (something which I also am uneducated about ), but could it be something else? And will the de-wormer make him sick if he doesnt actually have worms?

We're also concerned about us contracting worms from him, especially my husband since Elric always gives him puppy kisses all over his face whenever he gets home from work The whole subject is making me a bit nauseous
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Worms............

The most common two worms with dogs are roundworms and tapeworms.........what you saw, if it was rather like an earthworm only narrower, was a roundworm. Tapeworms shed segments which appear in the poo, and these are the white bits you see if there is a problem with the little nasties.

A quick dose of Drontal, or similar, as prescribed by the vet will soon sort it out, and in any case, your pup should be wormed regularly. Again, the vet will advise you on the time scale. Dogs rarely show physical signs of having worms, unless the burden is quite high, so the fact that your pup is not pot bellied etc. is no real indication. The indication is that worm that you saw, and the situation needs dealing with before it becomes worse.

My husband always kisses dogs too!!! Looking at the size of him, he could do with a dose of worms