Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-12-2009, 03:12 AM

How long are your dog's toe nails ?

This may seem a strange question but how long are your dogs toe nails ?

I used to be shocked by how long some dogs toe nails were.

Growing up in a town 'long nails' smacked of dogs that didn't get walked much but now I question that........

We live in the country and my house backs onto rural tracks and woodland. As a result my dogs don't get a lot of road walking so (and I wonder if this is why) they have long toe nails.

I know a lot depends on the type of dog and how they walk or pull on a lead but I often feel a bit ashamed as Skye has big long toe nails that make a 'tippy tappy' noise when he walks on a hard surface ???

Breagh chews her nails and Fingal just grinds his down through his own activity but I always feel a bit bad when I hear the sound Skye's feet make.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 03:20 AM
I never have to touch Mack's, as he does to keep them short, Meg's I use the dremel once in a blue moon, but neither of them are that long, and they don't have that many road walks these days.

Tess even though she was road walked quite a lot, hers would grow and make tappy noises on the tiles, so then I'd trim them.

I think different dogs seem to grow them quicker???
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 07:20 AM
The only ones on Missy we've had to have cut were her dew claws. Hers do grind down naturally. But our first dog who had the same amount of road walking, we had to trim hers a couple of times a year. I suppose every dog is different.
We had the tip tap of feet on our wooden floors with Spotty - I told my mil to listen well, it was the only time she was going to hear the patter of tiny feet from us
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 07:30 AM
I road walk all the time and still have to trim my dogs nails every 4-6 weeks or else she makes the tippy tappy noises too. I think part of it is some dogs feet are shaped differently to other dogs as far as where the nail is positioned in relation to the toes and the ground. So its probably just due to skye's paw shape that his nails seem to grow longer.
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Boris's are long and seem to grow at an incredible rate. Walking on the pavement seems to make no difference. They're also black which makes it hard to cut them short as I worry about hurting him so I trim the tips off by doing a couple a week as it's a bit of a performance to even do two.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Tassles seem to get long really quick - and teh quicks ar elow down which doesn't help.
I have done Sirens dew claws but she hasn;t needed the others doing yet -

Jaspers used to be OK - but he has 'old dog' nails now! I have to really watch they don't get too long or he started slipping.

Trip and Gabes get quite long - but again - the quicks are low and the nails are black...which I hate!
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2009, 09:44 AM
my puppy can't be walked yet, as he has only just had his second injection yesterday, but his nails were very long, and i mentioned this to the vet before and he agreed and trimmed them.
I trimmed them again last week, as there was plenty of white showing. His nails really are sharp.
I don't think i will have to cut as many nails as alot of people do as my dog is missing some nails on his back feet lol - the vet has never seen anything like it before.
This does not seem to bother the pup, and im sure he will be ok as an adult - bless him xx
lakeland_lass
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
I have a terrier and his nails are placed high up on his feet and they are black making it hard to see the quick. Never trimmed them yet as vet and groomers said it's not needed.
He also makes a tapping sound on my wodden floors but it a good thing as i always know what he is up to!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Maggie has long toe nails, would love to cut them but the quicks come right the way down so I'm not risking it. Vet said that's just how she is and he won't touch them either. Only ones I can trim are her dew claws.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Phil, When it comes to cutting nails it's the one and only no no for me - just cant do it

So I purposely walk the boys on the pavements and at the beach where they can run over the stones.

If our route changes/ like during the summer, we often do the river walk and then I start to notice the nails growing
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >