Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:02 AM

Help with cocker spaniel

Right bear with me as this is quite long and complicated!

Im at my witts end with this dog, hes not mine, hes my OH's sisters but lives with my OH's parents who we live with (untill the end of march) and as much as I try to I cant just forget about him and his issues.

Hes a 4year old golden cocker (i think american X english as he is rather tall and not like the english cockers i walk)He is a very very screwed up little dog and I really think that in the right home, with the right training he could be a lovely dog as he does have his good moments.

He barks and whimpers all day, he HATES new people in the house (although he will now tolerate people who have come in once or twice before with only a growl when they come in thanks to me working my backside off with him) but he has bitten before.
He is VERY possesive over anything he steals, toys, food etc even if you walk past the other end of the hall to where he his he will growl if hes guarding.

He pees and poos in the house, doesnt matter where or when, if hes been let out or even if the door is wide open. He's pee'd on the dining room table, up agains the curtains and even on our bed. There is nothing medicly wrong with him and i know he is able to hold it over night as he has done when it was just me and my OH for a few days he was dry every night.

He doesnt get walked. I used to walk him daily with my stafford untill I mentioned that he needed some proper behavioural work and now apparently (according to my mother in law )my walking was making his behaviour worse so I stopped about 4 months ago and he has been taken out TWICE since then by my OH sister who actually owns him ( she moved out when he was 18 months leaving him behind and totaly abandoning all routine, but apparently he barely got walked when he was little anyway.)

I just dont even know where to begin with this dog.
He has first let out and breakfast at 6:30/7, and then access through a dog flap to the garden all day. Dinner is at 6:30/7 pm and i make sure they both go out for at least a pee at about half 10/11 then the dog flap is shut. There is pee and poo every single morning from Roger. I cant help but think maybe its a nervous thing? Hes a very worried dog and gets wound up quite easy (mind you so would you if you had been in the same house for 4 bloody months )

I really dont even know where to start or even if i should cause were moving in a month and i know it wont be continued. Every bit of me says REHOME HIM! unfortunatly hes not mine to make that desicion for....

(Sorry for the essay, im tearing my hair out here!!)
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:13 AM
This sounds like a really bad situation for the dog Pawsonboard, but I am not sure how much more you can do for him. You say he is not your dog and you are moving out next month, so your influence is going to be restricted. I think I would work on his owner/s and persuade them he is not happy and in the wrong home because he needs so much more input than they can give him. You don't say if you would be willing to take him with you when you go, but this could be a solution if you wan't to take him on.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
This sounds like a really bad situation for the dog Pawsonboard, but I am not sure how much more you can do for him. You say he is not your dog and you are moving out next month, so your influence is going to be restricted. I think I would work on his owner/s and persuade them he is not happy and in the wrong home because he needs so much more input than they can give him. You don't say if you would be willing to take him with you when you go, but this could be a solution if you wan't to take him on.
I know he needs to go to a different home, unfortunaly the last time i tried to bring it up there was a massive argument which almost resulted in us being chucked out. Im not prepared to take him on as I dont feel like I could give him what he needs. I am quite busy and in an out an awful lot. My staff comes with me 99% of the time and I wouldnt feel happy having roger at home with me. (Plus an un houstrained very barky dog in a rented house probably wont go down very well lol)

To make matters worse my OH's dad has a new job and now is away from home from monday to friday. In the summer my OH's mum goes down to there caravan on the coast.... so.... if weve moved out, shes down at the caravan for weeks on end and my oh's dad is up near b'ham during the week, please tell me what theyre planning to do with this poor poor boy? Because the only answer i get at the moment is 'Oh we'll sort it out when we get to it'

Im not even angry, im just upset that they care so little for this dog.

EDIT : Please call me Sam =]
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Hes a 4year old golden cocker (i think american X english as he is rather tall and not like the english cockers i walk)

Americans are usually smaller than English

He is VERY possesive over anything he steals, toys, food etc even if you walk past the other end of the hall to where he his he will growl if hes guarding.

This is an extremely common problem with cockers, they will guard objects, locations, food, people etc.

What are they waiting for?

This dog needs a new home for its own sake and the owners not to mention yours.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Hes a 4year old golden cocker (i think american X english as he is rather tall and not like the english cockers i walk)

Americans are usually smaller than English

This is an extremely common problem with cockers, they will guard objects, locations, food, people etc.

What are they waiting for?

This dog needs a new home for its own sake and the owners not to mention yours.
Ah, I wasnt sure about the cockers, maybe he could be springer x or something? I'll try and find a pic of him. Hes scared of cameras...

I know he needs a new home. It breaking my heart to know that if he went to a quiet couple in the contryside he would have 100% better life than he would ever have here. Do you reckon it would be worth contacting a breed rescue? Maybe if there would be a foster for him that might spur them on to making the right desicion?
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Would they release the dog to your care and give you total responsability? If so, I know its harsh but you could then hand him over to a rescue. I don't really know what you can do to be honest, I'm just glad he has you to care
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Yes there are some very good breed rescues for spaniels.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by pasiphae View Post
Would they release the dog to your care and give you total responsability? If so, I know its harsh but you could then hand him over to a rescue. I don't really know what you can do to be honest, I'm just glad he has you to care
To be honest, after the whole 'me walking him makes him worse' scenario I think they would be very reluctant to sign him over to me. Plus its also my OH's sisters dog, so it really comes down to her. Did I mention shes a 24yr old spoilt brat?! The entire family avoid talking about issues like this... the same as they avoid talking about my OH's mum having a massive drink problem (which im pretty sure triggers rogers anxiety as she shouts all the time)

Everything is hush hush and it drives me up the wall!!

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Yes there are some very good breed rescues for spaniels.
Ok, might be worth having a chat with some and seeing what they would be able to do with him. Im not sure how he would cope with kennels really. Maybe the routine would be better for him even? On the other hand he could be too vaunerable and nervous to cope with a high stress situation like that?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2011, 12:37 PM
not all dogs go into kennels, many go into foster homes to be assessed.