View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Explosive diarrhoea after op. - am I doing the right thing?

Molly had an operation a week ago today on a luxating patella. She came home last Wednesday and was on a 5 day course of antibiotics (now finished) and a daily dose of meloxidyl (6ml).

She didn't poop at all for three days after coming home, when she did eventually poop, it wasn't very pleasant (diarrhea) but put this down to the operation/stress/having not pooped for three days. She didn't poop again for another two days, when she did, it was again, not very nice and she seemed a bit uncomfortable about it (not surprised!).

I told the vet who said to put her on a bland diet (chicken, rice, pasta) and to reduce the meloxidyl (6ml to 3ml), both of which I did. However, she didn't poop at all over the weekend and when I took her out last night, everything came out in a massive stream and she seemed very uncomfortable and sorry for herself The same happened this morning although she seemed less stressed about it.

I rang the vet and got through to the vet nurse who has told me to starve her for 24hrs and then start her on the bland diet and reduced meloxidyl again. Is that the right thing to do? I'm worried because everything has basically left her system two days running now and all she had for breakfast this morning was a bit of chicken. I'm just worried!

Also, she has had meloxidyl before (before this op and when she had the same op back in October) and didn't have any issues with it.
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2011, 05:19 PM
It is the usual procedure to starve for 24 hrs. following diarrhea to give digestive track a rest and a chance to recover.You still need to provide water.Then after 24 hrs. give several small bland meals. Hope things pick up soon.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 05:34 PM
I agree, I'd go with the 24hrs without food and see how things go. It's surprising the difference it can make, it's like hitting a reset switch for the stomach.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
It is the usual procedure to starve for 24 hrs. following diarrhea to give digestive track a rest and a chance to recover.You still need to provide water.Then after 24 hrs. give several small bland meals. Hope things pick up soon.
Ah I didn't realise that was the reason for it! That makes sense, hopefully it'll work

Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
I agree, I'd go with the 24hrs without food and see how things go. It's surprising the difference it can make, it's like hitting a reset switch for the stomach.
I'll definitely stick with the 24hr thing then I'm really hoping it does work, she seems so miserable at the minute
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Perhaps a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel for her tummy might help ease some discomfort. I know it works for me when I've got tummy ache.

Don't leave them unsupervised with it though.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 07:07 PM
I hadn't thought of that actually, might give that a try this evening! Supervision isn't a worry really as she's stuck in a crate in my room for two weeks so she can't escape my supervision