View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2006, 09:25 PM

How can i get pup to "see off" strangers?

Hi
I have a 3 month old SBT he is very friendly and i have had him for just over 2 weeks.When someone comes through the door he picks up on it straight away but even if he doesnt know them he still wants to just play.How can i teach him to be wary of strangers coming through the door?Is it too soon to try and teach him this?
thanks
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 09:37 PM
Presumably the people coming through the front door are people you're letting in yourself? If so, I don't really get why you'd want your dog to be wary of them, it's your job to filter who does or does not come in If you want your dog to be wary of people breaking-in, then you're talking about an entirely different set-up, and chances are your dog would respond differently anyway when he's grown-up. Don't get the two mixed up, or you'll turn your lovely, friendly staff into an unmanageable thug, who goes for your guests!
charlie092
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2006, 09:42 PM
hi
i dont think i explained it very well,im tired thats my excuse
What i mean is he doesnt really bother to get up and have a look who is coming into the house or anything at the moment i just want him to know the difference between a welcome and unwelcome guess but dont want to find out the hard way if he will react or not, how can i be sure?is there a way to test him or something?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by duboing
Presumably the people coming through the front door are people you're letting in yourself? If so, I don't really get why you'd want your dog to be wary of them, it's your job to filter who does or does not come in If you want your dog to be wary of people breaking-in, then you're talking about an entirely different set-up, and chances are your dog would respond differently anyway when he's grown-up. Don't get the two mixed up, or you'll turn your lovely, friendly staff into an unmanageable thug, who goes for your guests!
I agree,
Staffords are very people friendly and love loads of cuddles and fuss,they adore human company,especially children and i think, they think they are half human.
Kazz has done a great article on the sbt it can be found under breed notes in articles.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by charlie092
hi
i dont think i explained it very well,im tired thats my excuse
What i mean is he doesnt really bother to get up and have a look who is coming into the house or anything at the moment i just want him to know the difference between a welcome and unwelcome guess but dont want to find out the hard way if he will react or not, how can i be sure?is there a way to test him or something?
In that case, really play up the positive meetings. Get your visitors to give the pup a food-treat or play a game with him as they come in and he'll soon start to take an interest in what goes on over the doormat
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 09:50 PM
I think it would be a big mistake to even try to encourage your puppy to guard you and your home. It can only cause trouble in the long run.

You are lucky to have a relaxed laid back puppy, you should be glad he isn't aggressive.

Dawn R.
lizdll
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey
I think it would be a big mistake to even try to encourage your puppy to guard you and your home. It can only cause trouble in the long run.

You are lucky to have a relaxed laid back puppy, you should be glad he isn't aggressive.

Dawn R.
i totally agree
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 09:26 AM
hi

i agree with the others

To be honest staffies are so people friendly that even if a burglar did come in the staffie would let him, invite him up on the sofa for a cuddle and generally revel in attention like they do with everyone else.

Staffies are not guard dogs and make the worst kind of guards so think you would get nowhere trying to teach them who is ok and who is not?

I think i know what you are getting at but to be honest I dont think you can expect your dog to differentiate between good and bad people and they will ultimately go by instinct so if someone did break in or attack you etc they would probably defend you anyway - but its not something I believe you can teach him to do.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 09:46 AM
Oh Dear totally the wrong breed to be a "guard"dog Staffies are way to much "people dogs"ever to be good "watch"dogs

In the current climate I wouldn't what to change your dog at all-don't forget someone only has to be frightened(in their opinion)by your dog even if your dog is in your own home, for the DDA to be brought into play & your dog put at risk
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog
To be honest staffies are so people friendly that even if a burglar did come in the staffie would let him, invite him up on the sofa for a cuddle and generally revel in attention like they do with everyone else.
You wouldn't want it any other way
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >