Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-05-2006, 03:57 PM

Can diet affect behaviour ?

My 4 year old rescue Collie is inclined to be rather nervous. I feed her mainly on dry food with table scraps. It may be my imagination but she seems to be more tense when given Arden Grange than, for example, Pal. One is told that certain items are likely to make children over-excited and difficult to control e.g. some food colourings, chocolate etc. although I am not aware that any of these ingredients are included in commercially produced pet food. Even so, is it possible that diet can have a significant effect upon the mental state of dogs ? If so, there must be alternatives which are likely to induce calm rather than anxiety. Perhaps there are things to be avoided. If you have any practical experience on this subject I would be most grateful for your views.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-05-2006, 09:43 PM
It is as well to steer away from any commercial foods and treats that contain artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives as they can have an effect on behaviour.

Vitamin B is reputed to have a calming effect.
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2006, 10:40 PM
We used to give our Yorkie Yeastvite tablets to calm his nerves - worked a treat!
Sansorrella
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Yes an awful lot of commercial dog foods contain artificial colourings, flavourings and preservatives. Steer clear of anything with E numbers, chemicals and derivitives.
Paul G.
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Thats interesting, I'll try it. How much did you give ?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Definitely. Some people swear a raw, more natural diet works wonders compared to a commercial diet. Some people go for high protein, some low - it can be a bit confusing as there are so many different opinions out there.

Other calming herbs are said to be valerian and skullcap, and Bach flower remedies such as Rescue Remedy and B complex.
whoami
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I would agree that diet has part to play in a dogs' behaviour. I have seen many 'excitable' dogs calmed by more exercise, mental stimulation and diet change.
Rescue remedy was another good suggestion, it has helped my Estrela when the fireworks are going, she is very nervous then