Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ali_and_Poppy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2011, 01:36 PM

Puppy acne at almost 2 years old?

Hi all,

Poppy has had this problem practically all her life (she is almost 2). Ive lost count of times I have taken her to the vets who has prescribed several creams including fuciderm that havent really helped. We have had a couple of different antibiotics tablets, but only one type clear them up (Therios.) However a week or so after completing the coyrse, the spots come back. Each time she has gone back to the vets she is given these tablets on repeat prescription. I'm concerned as I dont want her to constantly be on antibiotics all the time.

We are repeatedly told she has puppy acne and will grow out of it when she is 2 - she is 2 next month.

Some people have suggested shampooing etc, but im concerend as the spots tend to form around her eye lids aswell as her chin and skin fold on her nose.

Just some other bits of info:
- On advice of the vet, we feed her eukanubu restricted calorie dry food
- We clean her face and nose on a daily basis with a warm cotton pad
- We have tried a small amount of sudocrem on the affected area but this did not help
- Recently she has been itching her face quite a bit and im not sure if this is aggrivating further.

I would really appreciate any help

Thanks
Ali and Poppy xx
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Teagan gets acne (she's 7), and with molossor breeds, people tend to call it 'bully boil'!
I use Sudocreme or Savlon when i've washed/dried it, and that helps to clear it up
(she likes to rub it on the carpet though, so gotta watch out for her doing that and stop her!)