View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Master-Dog
New Member!
Male 

31-05-2014, 04:29 PM
I meant I wanted to train him to be like a house protection dog, but it's just like a bonus for me, because obviously he would be protecting my house.
But I know he's smart enough to be a service dog, and I want to train him since I have family members that are visually impaired. I've been researching and it seems impossible to train him myself, I'll need to take him to professional trainers, I guess.
Im going to a dog training school, but I just started and I only train obedience, so I dont have enough knowledge and experience to train my dog for something so serious.
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Wise choice, and most dogs will put off people entering the house just by being there. Sophie barks like a machine gun, Callie has a bark like a constipated cocker spaniel but one look at him and the burglar would break through a wall to get back out
You might want to look into schutzhund. I know several people who enjoy it as a sport with their dogs.
-
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2014, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by Master-Dog View Post
I meant I wanted to train him to be like a house protection dog, but it's just like a bonus for me, because obviously he would be protecting my house.
But I know he's smart enough to be a service dog, and I want to train him since I have family members that are visually impaired. I've been researching and it seems impossible to train him myself, I'll need to take him to professional trainers, I guess.
Im going to a dog training school, but I just started and I only train obedience, so I dont have enough knowledge and experience to train my dog for something so serious.
So I was not that far out after all! Being a service dog for someone who is visually impaired is like my dog being an untrained but automatically knowing how to be a service dog helping me as I am hearing impaired.

And how to help me physically by allowing me to use her strength to help me get up at times.
Master-Dog
New Member!
Male 

06-06-2014, 06:19 PM
It's crazy how some dogs are so smart and intuitive without training! That's great!
My dog is pretty intuitive when it comes to helping my aunt who is partially blind, but he has been around her for a pretty long time, so i guess he gets used to what she needs him to do, like leading her, going around obstacles with comfortable enough space for her, and stuff like that. That's one of the reasons why I even went to master dog training school to be a trainer, because I've been surrounded by smart dogs like that my whole life.
I guess I'll bring my dog to school for a couple classes to see how it goes and what he needs to learn, and go from there. I don't know how much the program would be though. Have anyone taken a service dog training program? ALmost every website i check doesn't provide prices.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Master-Dog View Post
...[snip]...It's crazy how some dogs are so smart and intuitive without training! That's great!
My dog is pretty intuitive when it comes to helping my aunt who is partially blind, but he has been around her for a pretty long time, so i guess he gets used to what she needs him to do, like leading her, going around obstacles with comfortable enough space for her, and stuff like that.
Yes, it is great, but just because a dog is smart and intuitive without training for one thing - like your dog helping your aunt and my dog helping me, does not mean that they can easily be trained for other things.

You say your dog has been around your aunt for a fairly long time, so he has obviously picked up on her impairment. Just as my dog has figured out that I am hearing impaired even though she has only ever known and accepted me as physically impaired . That she grew up with and as she grew up she automatically let me use her for leverage if necessary.

Regarding my hearing loss, she seemed to pick up on that before I did. So she warns me if someone is coming down the path, is at the door, if the telephone rings, when the alarm clock goes for her medication etc.

But no way would she be suitable for "proper" training. She does what she does because she obviously wants to. And I would never ask her for anything else.
Master-Dog
New Member!
Male 

13-06-2014, 05:22 PM
I just want him to learn obedience, and some service training just so my aunt can feel more comfortable when she walks with him, so she can rely on him more.

I took him to the school that I go to for dog training, and they did the evaluation, showed me couple of methods they use for service training, and I they told me they would give me a discount if I train him there. I mean I really like the school and the trainers, so I'm thinking about it... Or maybe I just wait till they teach me everything and then I can train my dog myself hehehehe=)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

13-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Good luck, but being offered a discount if you train him there would make me run a mile. If I could run, ofcourse!
Master-Dog
New Member!
Male 

15-06-2014, 06:59 PM
Thanks! I guess I'll go for it, we'll see what's gonna happen! I'll share the results, of course
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2