Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2007, 06:49 PM

Max, Boxer and Rimadyl

My OH had Max down to the vets at teatime today because his limping in the mornings has become worse. (Last time we took him down, the vet advised us to keep an eye on his hips and hindlegs and take him back if there was any deterioration) and Max is a bit unsteady at times too (just on his rear legs though). He is almost twelve years old, male boxer, 32 kilos.

I had to stay home because my two oldest were due in from school and when hubby came home the vet has prescribed him 50mg of Rimadyl a day and to keep an eye on any possible side effects. He is also on Vivitonin 100mg 3 times a day which he has been on for the last couple of years at least (I have to up this to one extra tablet a day if he needs it).

Sorry for droning on but I have heard of Rimadyl before and my first reaction was 'oh', I have searched the web for the side effects of Rimadyl and keep finding horror stories! Am I panicking for nothing?

Would like some info from the peeps on here who are more wise and experienced than me, thank you!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Generally Rimadyl is a very safe and is extremely widely used. All my dogs have had it at some point and I am always boarding dogs of all ages and descriptions that are on it. Speaking only from personal experience, but I think you'll find its one of the best on the market, as will ALL drugs, there will always be a small number of animals that respond badly.
Dawn.
Alison2006
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-10-2007, 07:53 PM
My last dog was on it. Like you I had heard all the horror stories. My vet did regular checks (inc blood tests) to ensure that everything was ok.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Rimadyl is a commonly used NSAID and is one of the best ones around along with Metacam in my opinion.

As with all drugs, you will have some animals which it just doesn't agree with. Your vet will probably advise you to keep a look out for any vomiting or diarrhoea, and if any occurs, stop the meds and call the vet to let them know.

However, the amount of animals who react is minimal compared to the amount who do really well on it.
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks so much for your replies.

Max is my first 'own' dog so alot of these meds are new to me especially as he is an oldie now. The reason I asked for and was searching the web was because he has a 7 day initial treatment and his supply came in a wee brown bottle with none of the normal tickets with side effects that are usually inside (want to say my vets are great btw) its just because I wasnt there when he was prescribed. Vet explained the side effects to my hubby (who bless him isn't the greatest at giving info back or remembering) so that explains my initial panic

We have to monitor Max over the 7 days, no side effects then he will be prescribed it, any mild symptoms the vet said will mean half dosage every two days and then judged again or severe symptoms he will be taken off Rimadyl.

Thanks a lot, you have put my mind at ease (aren't these internet searches wonderful! ) Thats why I posted here because I knew I would get balanced and experienced opinion.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Shanik View Post
Thanks so much for your replies.

Max is my first 'own' dog so alot of these meds are new to me especially as he is an oldie now. The reason I asked for and was searching the web was because he has a 7 day initial treatment and his supply came in a wee brown bottle with none of the normal tickets with side effects that are usually inside (want to say my vets are great btw) its just because I wasnt there when he was prescribed. Vet explained the side effects to my hubby (who bless him isn't the greatest at giving info back or remembering) so that explains my initial panic

We have to monitor Max over the 7 days, no side effects then he will be prescribed it, any mild symptoms the vet said will mean half dosage every two days and then judged again or severe symptoms he will be taken off Rimadyl.

Thanks a lot, you have put my mind at ease (aren't these internet searches wonderful! ) Thats why I posted here because I knew I would get balanced and experienced opinion.
Hope Max gets on well with the Rimadyl let us know how he gets on, hopefully you should see a difference in him shortly
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi everyone,

The Rimadyl doesn't seem to have helped at all, Max had a bad day yesterday, his limping was very pronounced, I took them for a tiny walk in the afternoon (only round the street) to see if it would help loosen him up a little but he was so slow and so tired, it was the worst I have seen him, even Carrie's playfulness didn't interest him. He spends most of his time sleeping and when he is up and about it is intermittent and he doesn't bear weight on his off hindleg. He has muscle wastage in his hindquarters too and because he is a big dog it must be hard for him. I had to lift him our two front doorsteps twice yesterday.

I am so scared, I don't want to lose him, and I am desperately clinging onto the good days he has compared to days like yesterday. He has the vet again this afternoon for a re-assess and although he is eating quite well, I have this awful horrible feeling inside of me and I am trying to stay strong even though I feel teary a lot of the time.

Is there anything else that may help him? Or ease things for him? I must sound like a dreadful clingy person but he is worth his weight in gold and I love him so much.

Thank you.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Hi Shanik
So sorry to hear about Max. I am facing similar with my old (almost 11 and a half) cross breed, Biff, who was prescribed Rimadyl in place of the metacam he was on. He is also starting to suffer from a little muscle wastage as he has arthritis, but the vet now thinks there may be something neurological at work as well. He sounds very like your boy so I have every sympathy and appreciate what you're going through.

I think you are doing what you can. I have heard that hydrotherapy can help, there are special trolleys dogs can have to help them move around on, their rear end fits in them and there are harnesses with handles on top that can help you help the dog to support himself. I would also be interested to know if there are any other medications that can be tried.

Wanted to offer a big hug, totally appreciate what you're going through. x
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2007, 10:07 AM
Our old rottie was given Rimadyl but after two weeks of treatment she started to take seizures so we took her off it, she made a full recovery later.
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Thank you Ramble and Nero. Ramble, my sympathies for you too and Biff and thanks for your kind words. I have to go out now but will pop in later and let you know what my vets advise.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >