Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Foxy
Hi Jeanette

The older computer had a recovery CD with it but the newer ones now are ones that are just built in the computer and you get to it by pressing F10 when the computer is starting up at first. Have you got your users manual because mine which is a Packard Bell computer has a bit at the back of the users manual that tells you how to take it back to factory settings. You can either do a partial recovery or a full recovery (which wipes all your photos, emails, music off so be careful to copy these first if you want to save them)

How old is your computer?
Hiya

Its just 1 year old. I have a users manual at home.. Might try and read a bit.. Its just so boring, so I end up falling asleep

Mine's a Fujitsu Siemens..

Will try to read up, when I come home

J
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Hiya

Its just 1 year old. I have a users manual at home.. Might try and read a bit.. Its just so boring, so I end up falling asleep

Mine's a Fujitsu Siemens..

Will try to read up, when I come home

J

Yes if its a relatively new computer then you should be able to take it back to factory settings yourself by doing a partial recovery or full recovery if nothing else is working. It doesn't take long to do at all. I never read the manuals either - except when I have a problem
pamngeoff
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-11-2005, 12:41 PM
if you do a recovery it will ask for recovery cd if you registry is corrupt be careful Geoff
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by pamngeoff
if you do a recovery it will ask for recovery cd if you registry is corrupt be careful Geoff
Some of the newer computers have the recovery bit built in them Geoff - you just have to press F10 or F11 (can't remember which it is now ) when the computer starts and this gives the choice of system restore, partial recovery or complete recovery. My old computer had a recovery cd and I put it in and hadn't a clue what I was doing and knackered it
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi all..

Ooh maybe I should just try the F10 or F11 then... I cant be allowed to do a restore, so maybe a recovery....
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Okay...

I just tried to put the recovery cd I (apparently) have with service pack 1 in the computer to install XP...

It says the version on the computer is newer than the one on the cd and files and things could go lost..

Now is it possible for me to install via this cd, and then download the update Service pack 2 via windows update???

Marie, I think I've kinda erased that file, Tom is mentioning in his post
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2