View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:22 PM

Do Dog's Grieve? (after losing a litter/or a mate.)

I know this has been done before but do dog's grieve after losing a litter, but when she is rebred does that grief carry on,? Is she over protective toward's her new litter? Is she not bothered and instinct tell's her to look after them as normal.?
I have seen bitches being over protective to the point of injuring the new pup's.And in that case my vet asking about her behaviour after the death of the last litter.
I have seen mare's of new foal's waking them up not letting them sleep because they have lost foal's.
Come on guy's what do you think.?
If dog's are not bothered and they just live for that day and for that litter then someone please give me a explanation.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:26 PM
A close friend of ine recently had to have a bitch pts and she insisted on taking her home to bury and to show her litter mate that was still with them . Apparently he went and had a sniff, howled for 10 minutes and then settled down, she says when the previous litter mate died at the vets and they left her there the other two cried and looked for her for days and it was heartbreaking.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:35 PM
When we had tigger pts last august, her sister and best friend Rusty climbed into the boot of the car and tried to wake her, she was pawing at her crying, in them few months since rusty is only 6 and has gone a grey as can be and will howl, now she never ever howled.
When My old Zoey died, the foster bitch we got to help with her babies was one of our homebred girl's, and we had, had Zoey in the car bringing her home from the vet's and the foster bitch wouldnt get in the car, her owner's couldnt understand it, as she traveled every were with them.
My wee bitch who lost her babies carried her babies around her bed, and injured 2 she was licking them constantly, but then I always say the less messing about with a newborne litter the quicker the bitch settles, but with her lost litter We had to intervene as they were early and she had no milk, xx it was so sad.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2008, 10:53 PM
When our old girl died, we buried her at the bottom of the paddock.. the others didn't watch my dad bury her, but when they were let out into the paddock, they paid lots of attention to where she was buried and tried to dig her up.. they were very unsettled and whiney for a few days and were very affectionate.. with our eyes, we could perceive this as grief, but i'm more inclined to think that the dogs were confused as to where Cass had gone, and were suffering from the loss of their matriarch..
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Years back our late JRT had pups, all healthy except one who was 'still born', she sat on him for ages washing and nudging it. Eventually I took it away, and buried it up the garden under a beautiful bush. Thinking all was ok, she had another live four to keep her busy.
We let her out late on the night for a wee, and once done we all settled down to bed.
The next day I was hanging out the washing, kids had gone to school, Sally was in her box under the stairs doing her Mother bit, when suddenly I noticed all the ground under the bush had been dug up, just leaving a large hole.
I rushed in telling my Ex-hubby 'A fox had had the pup's body' etc etc.,not really understanding why as we had buried it deep, as your instructed to do.
We were so upset.
Later when Sally came out for some food, I peeped in the box..............there was the body and she had wrapped it up in a blanket!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Two more times I tried and with the same results, eventually my parents buried it in thier garden.
How strange, she wanted all five.....not just 4
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 07:52 AM
I took my Winston to the vets when Milly died to see her body as I thought it would help him understand why she wasn't there any more but it made no difference. He still sat on her blanket and cried (with me) and looked for her behind doors etc. Took about a month for him to settle again.
Becky
standardnuttydo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-04-2008, 08:01 AM
When I had to have my poodle pts the vet came to our house to do it. The other dogs sat on my lap with Jo while he went to sleep, the vet said to let the others be with him so they can say their goodbyes. I have tears flowing just thinking of it. Anne
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 09:10 AM
I have seen a mixture of emotions over the years that has demonstated to me that they do grieve.

Animals do live the moment, different to humans.

When a member of the paw family has passed away, they always come home and we all say our goodbye's. I feel this helps them to understand.
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 01:12 PM
When my Lady had her litter she lost thre babies ,She had a large litter 12 in total and three of them were just to poorly to make it ,She losttwo of them over a period of three days , she became very subdued in herself always searching the whelping bed and whining , I called the vet out immediately as i was deeply concerned by her behaviour the vet could find nothing physically wrong with Lady , Then one of her other puppies became ill with scepticimia and died at 2 weeks old , The first two pups were just too weak to survive , The autopsy results showed natural causes , The third pups autopsy results showed scepticimia , Then when Juke became ill Lady fussed over him like a mother hen, And when he went to the bridge Lady sat by his grave every day endlesly I had to physically remove her from his final resting place , She moped around the house for weeks , She refused to eat or go for walks , she was getting painfully thin and her health was declining fast at one point I feared I would lose my precious girl aslo , So imo yes they do grieve for lost puppies and there doggy pals xxdk
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:27 PM
When my first basenji, Caspar passed on we let Moet see him, it was like a light went off in Moet, he was never the same dog again, he definitely grieved. We bought Fiji (Moet's neice) to keep him company it made little difference to him. When Moet passed on Fiji wondered where he was but she didn't grieve for him, I would say some do and some don't.