Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Help needed - reseeding grass?

Right you gardeners can anyone please tell me what do with my garden!
The back lawn was a right mess, full of weeds and very uneven. I hired a rotavator and it's now just like a ploughed field. What do I need to do now?
I have no idea when it comes to gardening and wish I had left well alone!

Please help me so we can actually use the garden again!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:50 AM
In my very little experience, chuck a load of grass seed over it, a layer to grow, a layer to blow & a layer for the birds to steal, rake it in with some sand & water daily. It takes a couple of weeks to germinate......... and don't walk on it. My garden is all patchy, when we finished having the walls & patio done there was no money left to re turf so I just chucked seeds over the top & it resembled grass in a couple of months.

Someone with more experience may offer wiser words
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:54 AM
I would rake it first and remove the stones and large clods.
Then scatter seed and keep watered. You will need to keep dogs etc off it while it`s sprouting. If you want a tough lawn, look for seed that says hard wearing.
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:58 AM
If you've just rotivatored the weeds and all and you had dandelions and stuff then they'll grow through anyway. Make sure you cover the area in a really good weed killer (we used Verdone extra - super powerful - kills everything!). Give it a week or so and make sure you rake it all over so it's really flat, stomp on it to squash it all flatter then rake it again. Then sow your seeds and watch the pigeons flock!! Like Tillymint says, keep it well watered and watch all your hardwork grow

Good luck -it's hardwork but worth it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Also look online for grass seeds, you can find them cheaper than the big boxes in garden centres. I bought a small bag off Ebay for a whopping 99p - OK, it's only 2 metres coverage but it'll fill in the patches in the dog's bit of the garden (I hope!)
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Also look online for grass seeds, you can find them cheaper than the big boxes in garden centres. I bought a small bag off Ebay for a whopping 99p - OK, it's only 2 metres coverage but it'll fill in the patches in the dog's bit of the garden (I hope!)
I'm always filling in dog patches & holes that I fall in
I'm glad we didn't re turf now, it would have been ruined.

Spanish grass is lovely - I don't know what it's called or if you can grow it over here, but it's thick & a little spikey though not uncomfortable on bare feet & is like walking on sponge!
I've heard Canadian grass seeds are very good too.