Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Mixed emotions

we went to Lincolnshire for the day today, we took Hen to the beach at Skegness for the first time in his life...he was a bit scared of the sea as it lapped around his feet, then he decided to try and drink it

We had the morning by the sea and then drove inland to look at some properties we were interested in, not to go inside but to get our bearings and see if the area etc., would be suitable for what we want. As it's over 3 hours from home to get up there we need to see these areas before making appointments once our house has sold. I'm obviously familiar with Boston, Spalding, Holbeach etc., but even though I lived up there for 10 years you can never possibly cover all the villages that are there.

Anyway, we came home via Snowdrop Cottage, you wouldn't recognise the place, all the wonderful trees that the dogs spent hours birding under have been removed, all that is left is just turf and wooden fencing, they have also built on the back of it, full height, removed the hedging from around the drive and just made it so clinical, rather than the sweet little cottage that was once our home. It brought a tear to my eye remembering all my darlings that once lived there in total bliss with me

Anyway, we have decided that anything North of Boston is too far up for us, we will look for Boston, Spalding, Quadring and across to Wisbech and the Norfolk/Cambridge border. Rural is the name of the game, and no neighbours, we don't mind having an hour or so drive to the beach on the off occasion that we want to go there, we would rather be in commutable distance to my parents down in Essex and Clive still has some good clients that he needs to service here in Buckinghamshire.

I was so excited to be going back to Lincolnshire today, but I feel a bit deflated now having been passed Snowdrop and also realising that Skegness is going to be too far
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-04-2011, 07:22 PM
It always hard going back and looking at a favourite home.

There is one house like this for Gorden and me. Must say though we were pleaed they left all the trees we planted and nurtured so to see what you did must of been very sad.

Also like you say it was where you were with all your babies.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 07:25 PM
That must have been very sad to see somewhere that obviously holds such happy memories has been changed so much. But what ever has been done to the house, no one can remove your happy memories. They will stay in your heart for ever.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Have to admit I always go and see a house we lived in 23yrs ago dont ask me why if your looking for nice property try Suffolk wasnt somewhere we first thoght of but its really lovely we have a nice big bungalow, and a nice big garden on the edge of a lovely village and we are only 5 mins from the A14
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 07:52 PM
Awww Sheree,It must have been bittersweet for you seeing Snowdrop cottage again after all this time,you put your heart and soul into it didnt you,I still remember the photo's.Seems like yesterday.

We went up to Frithville in Boston a month or so ago,Boston's just round the corner really from Peterborough but one of the main roads was closed so we ended up going all round the houses to get there and it seemed like quite a way,This place was right out of the way with no direct neighbours,it was lovely
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Its nearly always heartbreaking when you step back in time to somewhere where lovely memories are to be found and see that others have changed it all, I know I went to my birthplace and it had all changed.....but I could still see my Dad (in my mind) walking out to the car (a A35 ) but he would of been so sad if he could see that they had ripped out his wonderful Rhododendrons and replaced them with wooden fencing they were his pride and joy and of course my Mom's name is Rhoda so they were from him to her
I know all the places you mentioned as my Mom has been in Lincoln now for 9 years she lives in Moulton seas end....and my sister is in Moulton
Hope you find somewhere
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Thanks so much everyone

We were chatting last night and we are going to concentrate our search on South Lincs and the Wisbech area, there are some lovely remote places there so I'm sure we will find our dream home. There is a strong possibility that Clive will have to work down here a few days each week so will stay overnight, meaning I will be on my own, we really want deserted so that anyone venturing nearby will be doing so for a good reason. As much as I love Hen I don't think he will be much of a deterrent if we have intruders

Only 2 weeks now until our open day, so although there has been significant interest in our house, until it's sold we can't really do much.