Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EmmaJane
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2010, 09:00 PM

How do I stop my pup biting?

Hi,
I have a 12 week old Sprocker Spaniel called Asha and she is a brill pup but she just wont stop play biting, when ever I try and play with her she gets very mouthy and although she doesn't mean to cause any pain its really starting to hurt as she is growing!
I have tried saying no using a stern voice etc. to her and also when she starts biting I stop playing straight away and leave the room for a few minutes, when I leave the room she wines and I leave her to quiet down until I go back in but then as soon as she sees me she starts jumping up and biting again!
I have also tried replacing my hand (or what ever she is trying to bite at the time) with a toy but this only seems to encourage her to bite even more!
She is also biting on her lead a lot which is making walking such awkward because if she isn't chewing on her lead she wines constantly.

Any help or if anyone has found an effective way to put a stop to the play biting it would be so helpful to me

Thanks
Emma & Asha
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-05-2010, 09:28 PM
this is the training programme you need:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...lQebKxdab7ky8w

the bite stops here by ian dunbar
EmmaJane
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Thank you that link was helpful, I think maybe my "ouch" wasn't loud enough! Will try this method out and will hopefully see some improvement
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Ian Dunbar is great

One thing
You are saying your pup is so young - and you have tried lots of great methods
Any one of those methods will work - but not right away, you have to be consistent - pick one method and stick with it
I like ignoring them, leaving them alone for a moment - yup they may be as excited when you come back - go out again, and again, and again
It takes a little while for their puppy brains to figure out that their behaviour is causing you to stop being fun - its really hard to think when you are excited - so pup has to learn to think when hyper everything takes time
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-05-2010, 02:25 AM
There is no quick, easy way to do that. Young Labs, which I know best, and other puppies tend to very bad about biting. You see a litter of them, and all the ones that are awake are biting another one or themselves. I am not even sure they realize that when they are alone, if they quit biting, they would quit being bitten. At 3 to 4 months they are getting their adult teeth, and it seems they spend every waking moment biting or chewing. One thing you can do at that stage is to knot and wet a piece of cloth. Then freeze it. The cooling will soothe the gums. Only let the puppy have it when you are there to watch it. I maintain a Lab's favorite chew toy is another Lab. Otherwise they settle for any person they can. They keep hoping to find one that won't yelp, jerk their hand away, and leave.

You just have to keep on correcting them, hundreds of times, not dozens. Provide sturdy, safe toys such as Kongs and Nylabones. Avoid things they can chew pieces off and choke on them. Keep them away from electrical cords. Crates are essential for most young Labs and other dogs.
gyalis_star
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-05-2010, 02:56 PM
i think youve done very well at such a young age your dog is proberly still teething and will try to wrap its mouth around any thing try those pedigree jumbones and sumething bitter on the lead to stop it getting chewed up i think the ouch method works especially when done with the walk away method
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-05-2010, 07:42 AM
I have pretty much stopped my puppy from doing it. I issue a loud 'owwww' and or redirect it onto a chew toy. Simple as that.

Some trainers recently advised a woman to use water spray but i wouldn't recommend that. And tapping on the nose can turn into a game which is often what the puppy is mouthing for.
Bo's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Hi,

I agree with the other posts here. It seemed to take a while for Meg to get the message that "ouch" meant "that hurts, stop it" when she was very young (13 - 14 weeks). Now, at 21 weeks, she seems to understand. So persistence and consistency is key I think.

I found it helpful for my mind to realise that a lot of it might be teething and would eventually stop with the right persistence!

Good luck!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2010, 07:54 AM
i feel your pain, i'm fostering a 15 week old Springer pup, and he is just starting to come out of this "ouch" works for him, however when Meg was a baby i had to leave the room, have to admit i spent more time stood in the dining room than sitting in the living room for a couple of months. Take heart they do grow out of it, although at the moment thats no consolation i know, puppy teeth are sharp!!!
weevle21
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-05-2010, 08:39 AM
As long as you are constant with your 'No' or 'ouch' and move them away or get up off the floor when they are doing it they generally grow out of it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >