Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 03:50 PM

Swallowing raw hide chew!!!!!!!!

Samson just swallowed a thumb sized raw hide bone will his tummy acid disintergrate it or is it a vet visit???
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:44 PM
He should be fine. Just keep your eye on him.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi Zoe, I can't answer that other than to say watch him closely and if he shows any signs of a blockage or discomfort phone your vet. Was it a thick chew or one of the very thin single skin ones, or one the sharp slivers that fill the larger bone shaped ones?
I stopped giving my two rawhide after one of them started choking, but fortunately I managed to pull it out of his throat. I only give mine stagbars now as they don't splinter and are too tough to be chewed up in large pieces.
I hope Samson is OK but do watch him really closely in case it gets stuck further down and then swells.
Keep us informed.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Hi and thanks I spoke to the vet nurse she said he should be fine but to keep an eye on him to see if he has any problems, it was entirely my fault as they were small bone shaped ones he had when he was small, my daughter found them at the back of the cupboard and I let her give him it without thinking about how much he'd grown since he last had 1 they were just plain small thumb sized ones with a knot at either end not sharp at all.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Do keep a close eye on him, because those rawhide chews (and pigs ears) can and do cause blockages if swallowed in large chunks. We nearly lost our last dog when she demolished a pigs ear too quickly, and never fed them to her again.

Having said that, from what you say it was a fairly small piece so all should be well
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-04-2012, 09:06 PM
mine chew them often,and i do keep an eye on.they do soften up but,like the others said ,to be is not good.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Fingers crossed should be ok.

I do not feed rawhide chews a) because they can cause blockages and b) there is no way of knowing what animal they come from or what chemicals have been used to bleach them.

They mostly come from China.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

This is why I no longer give rawhide. It all seems to come from China and considering they can't keep contaminants out of baby formula I don't have much faith in their pet food or treats.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Fingers crossed should be ok.

I do not feed rawhide chews a) because they can cause blockages and b) there is no way of knowing what animal they come from or what chemicals have been used to bleach them.

Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
This is why I no longer give rawhide. It all seems to come from China and considering they can't keep contaminants out of baby formula I don't have much faith in their pet food or treats.
Thanks all seems good so far, never thought about the origins before it's just something that dogs had at home from when I was a kid so kind of blindly carried on? He has plenty to chew on anyway so will not buy again
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 07:30 AM
That sort of size will hopefully pass through if not digested. Cain once got a cocktail sausage size chunk of plastic off of a nylabone obviously that wasn't going to digest. It passed through about 3 days later. Vet advised to feed oily fish with all the oil to lubricate the digestive tracts.

Once gave Cain on of those cigar shaped rawhide which he inhaled. Five mins later he started retching and threw it up soggy but basically whole I don't feed rawhide now.

Hopefully it'll pass through without incident
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >