Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 09:33 AM

Possible stomach issue?

Hello,

Bruno has over the last few days had the most awful wind ever, so stinky like something is rotting. gross.

We havent changed his food at all and he is currently fed on wainwrights wet mixed with a little of the wainwrights dry mix too ( salmon and potato)

NOw about 4 nights ago, I woke up in the morning to discover that Bruno had been sick ( just bile), and poo'd all over the living room during the night, TMI - but it was practically liquid and was very dark indeed.

He has never ever soiled in the house in 7 years so this must have been very unusual and he was just unable to hold it in.

I starved him for the day and then fed him a little cooked chicken and pasta that evening, and he ate it fine and has been fine since, although his poos are not really firm like normal, and he has this terrible wind.

I am not sure what has caused the stomach upset, as he has been offlead more in the last few weeks due to the snow etc and being off work we have been at the fields everyday so he could have eaten something we havent seen.

HOwever I am now getting a bit concerned that its something more serious, he has been drinking quite a lot anyway. I was going to pop him to the vets this week as I want his nails trimmed anyway, so thought I would book him in for an MOT, but what should I be asking them to check - If they took bloods etc woudl this bring up anything sinister stomach related etc??

I just think something might be wrong. Bruno will be 9 in march.

any thoughts ?
thanks sorry for the poo post !!
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:00 AM
Only thing I can offer is that when my old Springer used to have tummy upsets (mainly caused by diving under water in the canal) for a few days after he used to have to the most horrendous smelling wind, known as Sam specials in this house

Hope Bruno is feeling better soon.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Oh poor Bruno..you must be beside yourself Dani, when Leon had his blood tests because of his tummy problems they could tell that all his organs were working fine and that his problems were being caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the gut...they also did faecal tests but these were inconclusive.

They can tell so much with blood tests and even just by feeling they can usually tell if there is a blockage or something a bit unusual.

I've got everything crossed that its just one of those bug type things and that he is back to normal very soon xxx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Only thing I can offer is that when my old Springer used to have tummy upsets (mainly caused by diving under water in the canal) for a few days after he used to have to the most horrendous smelling wind, known as Sam specials in this house

Hope Bruno is feeling better soon.
thanks, I had thought it was just a wee tummy upset, but with the extra drinking and its gone on for 7 days now. He does get quite bad wind if overfed but has been fine in recent months so just not sure what it is

Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Oh poor Bruno..you must be beside yourself Dani, when Leon had his blood tests because of his tummy problems they could tell that all his organs were working fine and that his problems were being caused by an overgrowth of bacteria in the gut...they also did faecal tests but these were inconclusive.

They can tell so much with blood tests and even just by feeling they can usually tell if there is a blockage or something a bit unusual.

I've got everything crossed that its just one of those bug type things and that he is back to normal very soon xxx
thanks sheree, thats what i was wondering, whether just by a blood test they could tell about his organs etc.
I think the older they get the more I watch him to make sure he is ok. BUt this just seems very unusual and for him to poo in the house there really must be something wrong as he just isnt that dog...he has held it for more than 12 hours before just because he wont go out in the rain, so for a period of 6 hours overnight its just not right.

thanks
will call the vets and book him in tommorow.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Oh Dani, poor Bruno... maybe he has eaten something whilst out? I know Jamie has a sensitive tum and he picked up some sausage once whilst offlead and he had a bad tummy for a while... Not sure about the trumping as both Remy and now Deacon can let a few corkers go and they were/are fed raw with cast iron stomachs...
I hope the vet can get it sorted for him and put your mind at rest too
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Oh Dani, poor Bruno... maybe he has eaten something whilst out? I know Jamie has a sensitive tum and he picked up some sausage once whilst offlead and he had a bad tummy for a while... Not sure about the trumping as both Remy and now Deacon can let a few corkers go and they were/are fed raw with cast iron stomachs...
I hope the vet can get it sorted for him and put your mind at rest too
thankyou, he has always been a farty dog, staffies generally can be, however its room clearing stuff at the moment, and normally his tummy isnt overly sensitive unless he eats lots of rubbish food.

It will settle my mind if he is checked, and he needs his nails cut anyway.

Just as an aside he is overdue his wormer tablet, as I forgot to give him last month - I didnt want to give him it when he had a dodgy tummy, but is there any likelihood that its down to that ? Could he have worms that could be causing this - would I have seen that in his poo if he did ???
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 10:25 AM
poor bruno and poor you. dylan is a super sensitive dog and if he has a change in diet it results in an indoor accident and the most horrific wind. chappie is the only food that keeps his tummy calm and us able to stay in the same room as him!! he's definitely got worse as he's got older and i have to be very careful in giving him treats too often. it's sad because he is so food driven but it's not worth the discomfort for him.

i hope bruno recovers quickly from whatever has upset him. xxxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
thankyou, he has always been a farty dog, staffies generally can be, however its room clearing stuff at the moment, and normally his tummy isnt overly sensitive unless he eats lots of rubbish food.

It will settle my mind if he is checked, and he needs his nails cut anyway.

Just as an aside he is overdue his wormer tablet, as I forgot to give him last month - I didnt want to give him it when he had a dodgy tummy, but is there any likelihood that its down to that ? Could he have worms that could be causing this - would I have seen that in his poo if he did ???

I know that I wanted to worm Leon when he was poorly but the vet wouldn't let me as he said it could make his tummy worse. I would think you would see worms if he had them, the fact that he brought up the bile and was unusually dirty in the house makes me think it is possibly something similar to what Leon had, or a nasty bug, which the vets did think could have started Leons problems...a bug that took a hold of him, (he is 9 years old too).

When Leon had his second bout of trouble he brought up bile in the house, he didn't have an accident but I sat up with him for 2 nights and was in and out of the house every 5 minutes so he may well have done had I not known he was poorly...these things can come on so suddenly.

I think you're right to get him checked over..you're like me, when they reach a certain age I'm paranoid about the slightest change in them. At least the vets will be able to put your mind at rest. xx
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm sorry Bruno is feeling poorly I think you are absolutely doing the right thing by getting him in for a vet check. As you've probably seen with my post, I though Moon had a simple tummy upset and it turned out to be something far more sinister I'm sure Bruno probably just have a tummy upset, but always better to check and it will put your mind at rest too. Definately worth the trip. Good luck and let us know how he gets on
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 12:15 PM
Oh there are just so many things it could be I wouldnt hazard a guess, sounds like a trip to the vet will be the best course of action, sorry to hear Bruno is not feeling well, heres hoping it is just an upset stomach
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >