Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 10:53 AM

Diarrhoea on and off...

I've got Mya booked in at the vets tomorrow evening but just wondered if you guys had any experience of this.
Over the past few weeks Mya has had diarrhoea on and off, she is very sensitive anyway but I know the things that upset her so I'm v strict at what she gets treat wise etc.
So about 3 weeks ago, Mya had diarrhoea, she pood in the night which she never does, it was smelly, normal colour but a bit slimy. took her for a walk that morning and she stopped about 10 times to poo, straining, dripping bits of watery poo with mucous and a tiny drop of light blood. I had some pro-kolin paste in (keep it in just in case) gave this for 3 days with bland diet of pasta/mash/fish and she seemed fine again, introduced normal food, everything fine for 4 days, then same thing happened again. I'd given them a fresh marrow bone (marrow scooped out as this gives them trots) I always freeze before giving but I thought this might have given her loose stools so binned the bones, bland diet for a few days and everything fine again. Yesterday, gave her a raw hide treat, poos were fine all day yesterday (I'm a poo watcher)... then got up this morning she'd pood again, not as smelly as last time but she'd been about 4 times, loose, not watery at all, some mucous and a tiny drop of blood in one of them. took her for a walk and again she stopped about 10 times, straining and tiny watery poos, she is very gassy whilst doing these poos, farting as she walks before she squats if that makes sense. They were both wormed 2 weeks ago with drontal, at first I thought this might have been why she had the trots but now I'm not so sure. I've given her some pepto bismol and she's had some pasta this morning. She is absolutely fine in herself, always is when she gets this, is never ever off her food, bouncing around like normal. Fed wafcol salmon and potato, poos are never solid solid like they were on vitalin lamb and rice but always well formed.
Any ideas and do you think I should take a poo sample with me?
Sorry for the long post!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I think I might take a poo sample, if I were you, to be on the safe side.

I've had a similar problem with my Bailey recently. Never have poo problems but Bailey has had slimey poo on and off since Christmas. The Vet has checked him over thoroughly and the only thought he can come up with is that it is because my girls have been coming in season, one after the other since just before Christmas (he's not been 'done') so Vet thinks it may be stress. I thought it was unlikely at first but, as each of the girls have hit their fertile time, he's been off his head and got all 'pooey' again. It isn't mucusy or anything, just very soft and unformed if you know what I mean (errrrrr)! Vet has just told me to continue with the Pro-Kolin Plus and to book him away somewhere for next time my girls are in season!

So just wondering if your girl could be stressed about something and maybe that is causing the problem?

Hope you get the matter sorted out

By the way, whenever mine have an upset tummy, I always give them a teaspoon of live goats yoghurt for a day or two and this seems to help
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 11:09 AM
thanks for that, I've never taken a sample before so I presume I need to get a pot from the vets? Also when is the best time to do this? first morning poo? Lovely subject
She recently got attacked (3 weeks ago ish) so this might have stressed her but she's been fine meeting other doggies since. Weird really. Freddie our other boxer is fine, he's got lovely formed logs!! I thought if it was a bug as such that he would have caught it too?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 01:03 PM
We've had something similar with Stumpy since we had her, though fingers crossed it seems to be under control now.

In Stumpy's case it seemed that something would initially inflame her intensitines leading to runny poos, mucus etc. After that it would seem to settle but then flair up again.

If you are pretty sure that it is nothing she has eaten, Mya may have an infection which hopefully the vet will be able to diagnose and treat.

However, some dogs can become allergic to foods which they had previously been ok with, particularly if they have them day in and day out.

Hopefully your vet will be able to diagnose the situation.

As for the sample, I'd give the vet a ring and ask them whether one would be useful.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 01:23 PM
thanks for that. Glad Stumpy is on the mend.
I'm wondering if it was the rawhide bone she had, hopefully the vet will be able to confirm whether it's this or an infection
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 02:05 PM
It sounds like it could be giardia to me, which is an intestinal parasite. I would take a fecal sample along to the vets.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2009, 02:21 PM
funnily enough, I've just been reading about giardia, it does sound similar, I will definitely ask the vet about this tomorow
Kalaztra
New Member!
Male 

28-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Hi,

Ours had a similar problem usually around lambing time because apparently the ewes when they give birth also give out ecoli, something I learnt from a sheep farmer aqaintance and this can get into the water course. Pregnant woman are told not to handle ewes around lambing time because it can effect the foetus. Also on one occasion we suspected Clyptosporidium and not only were the dogs effect but so were we and we discovered that a previous resident of our property had been diagnosed with this. It happened after the waterboard had been messing about with the pipes, after that we only gave our dogs bottled water or you can alway install a filter system but it has to be pretty effective to prevent the giardia and clypto filtering through, think there is a site that tells you all about it if you google it but I know it has to be a lot more effective than conventional filtration systems.

BUT in the case of a dog who is "sensative" it could be gluten intollerance, especially if the poo is slimy so should not be eating anything containing preservatives or anything containing wheat. Pretty easy to avoid once you get used to it but we have a dog who became litterally cripled and screamed out in pain until we found out what the problem was.

Best regards Chris
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 01:35 PM
Just taken the woofs for a walk and guess what - we have normal poo?! it looks like it was definitely the rawhide that irritated her. I'm waiting for the vet to call me as I'm not sure I need to take her in now, I will keep her on a bland diet for a couple more days though just in case
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2009, 02:58 PM
When we first got Tilly she started with bloody mucus in poo - and after asking about it on here & at the vets - I was told there's such a wide range of things it can be. 2 anti biotic jabs cleared it up - but we had it tested anyway & turned out to be campila bacta.......... found in raw meat - which she's never had - so no idea where she picked it up - she's only been in the garden so far.
Well worth having a test done for peace of mind I think.