View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 10:26 AM

Best type of brush for a long haired GSD?

As the title says...whats the best type of brush for a long haired GSD, that moults LOADS all the time?

Thanks
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 10:57 AM
As an owner of three of them and a beaded collie X and up until last year a malamute...I'd say it's not so much the brush you use but an untiring arm Seriously though I must have tried every bruch on the market over the years and while some have been better than others, I'd have to say persistence and a really good diet has proved the best plan!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Lol! You're right about the arm there Megan!!! I use those metal type brushes first to get the worst out. Then I use a rake, and then I finish with the body brush. Don't forget they've got a downy undercoat to get out when they're moulting, and the rake is very good for this. I've found a nice soft body brush for my sensitive longer coated bitch, which has got some plastic spikes with bobbles on the end, and she actually likes being brushed with this! The fur catches in the body type part of the brush and I think the bobbly bits give her a nice massage! Although my white dog has a coarser coat, I could use anything on him, and the rougher I am the better, he just loves it, but then he's an itchy dog. I think gsd's moult permanently too, that's what I've found with all my longcoats! Sad but true!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Lol! You're right about the arm there Megan!!! I use those metal type brushes first to get the worst out. Then I use a rake, and then I finish with the body brush. Don't forget they've got a downy undercoat to get out when they're moulting, and the rake is very good for this. I've found a nice soft body brush for my sensitive longer coated bitch, which has got some plastic spikes with bobbles on the end, and she actually likes being brushed with this! The fur catches in the body type part of the brush and I think the bobbly bits give her a nice massage! Although my white dog has a coarser coat, I could use anything on him, and the rougher I am the better, he just loves it, but then he's an itchy dog. I think gsd's moult permanently too, that's what I've found with all my longcoats! Sad but true!!
Completely agree with the choice of brush/rake Helen BUT my longcoat rarely moults Honestly! I am not kidding! You can brush plenty of undercoat out of her, but I hardly ever find her hair around the floor etc. Now my collie is a different matter ...
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 04:49 PM
I have a metal comb and metal brush with a soft bristle side, think I'm gonna invest in one of those rake thingys, sounds just the job.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Completely agree with the choice of brush/rake Helen BUT my longcoat rarely moults Honestly! I am not kidding! You can brush plenty of undercoat out of her, but I hardly ever find her hair around the floor etc. Now my collie is a different matter ...
Same as Cassie, it's all the undercoat that comes out of her never her top coat. Flame must have the same long soft fur as her. Completely the opposite of Georgie's who's is quite coarse. Cassie's coat is more like a rough collie's coat, all shiny and soft! In fact, it's a bit like human hair! Lol! I keep telling myself that dog is human!!!