Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2011, 06:26 PM

Prob a silly question but...

how can i slow my 11yr old springer down? (well hes 11 tomorrow) hes usually on lead walks but we do go to the forest a few times a week but all he does is run! yes i know springers all run but after a few days of running hes limping.
hes never been a dog that plays with toys so cant interest him in toys to play with and be near me when were out. he just off the lead and runs non stop.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
how can i slow my 11yr old springer down? (well hes 11 tomorrow) hes usually on lead walks but we do go to the forest a few times a week but all he does is run! yes i know springers all run but after a few days of running hes limping.
hes never been a dog that plays with toys so cant interest him in toys to play with and be near me when were out. he just off the lead and runs non stop.

Oh dear I sort of know how you feel as my 11 year old Weimaranr broke a toe a couple of weeks ago; fortunately she healed extremely quickly and had her cast off in two weeks instead of four!

Is he enjoying himself? Would you really want to curb that joy and enthusiasm just because he pays for it?

I know that I am old and creaky now but I would hate it if someone stopped me from doing what makes me ache.............

Is your dog on any supplements to keep him mobile such as:

glucosamine
chondroitin
fish body oil + vitamin e
vitamin C
MSM
Green Lipped Mussel
bromelain
Ginger
Turmeric
Devils Claw
Cetyl-Myristoleate?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 06:45 PM
I think I tend to agree with Smokeybear. I used to have a 3-legged springer who was the same. She was still beating when she was 11 - that was her last season though as it did get too much for her. She used to struggle a bit the next day but I really couldn't take away that day from her. We just used to accept she might be a bit crockity the day after and just let her enjoy it as we really didn't know how long she had - she died at just under 13.

Helen
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

I know that I am old and creaky now but I would hate it if someone stopped me from doing what makes me ache.............
Good heavens - i thought you were about 29!
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:17 AM
yes hes on green lipped mussle and no i dont want to stop him having fun but he pays for it a few days later,ill just have to cut down the time hes out i think as he will go on for hours.
my husband walked them the other day and a lady with a gsd said oh my old boy wont run too fast cos hes old he was 10 she was gob smacked when she knew how old ace was running like a puppy
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 08:08 AM
Pops is getting to be the same 9. She had a mega long walk yesterday, and then had a mental play session with the other two, and she is struggling to do the stairs today...poor babe

Will I stop her? hell no!