Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
In what way is the problem solved? Dogs will still be docked for working purposes. Or are you happy for them to be docked as long as you don't have to look at them?
I am not happy for them to be docked at all----but as I said half a loaf and all that.

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Then you are penalising those dogs that were docked before the ban
When they were docked is academic really (IMO). Deliberate mutilation is deliberate mutilation regardless of the date of that mutilation.

Isn't it a bit like saying that dogs that were bred to fight should have been allowed to continue fighting if they were born before Laws were passed to make dog fighting illegal?

The Law to stop docking was brought in on animal welfare grounds. A change of date does not make it any less of a welfare issue before rather than after the date changed.

As a matter of interest, do those thinking that docking is right also think that ear cropping/de-barking is ok too?
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh dear----they haven't and they are allowed to work their dogs docked but the LAW says they can't be shown where people pay for entry. So they have to choose which aspect is more important to them.

rune
But those docked before 2007 (correct me if im wrong) can still be shown can they not?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:30 PM
In what way is the problem solved? Dogs will still be docked for working purposes. Or are you happy for them to be docked as long as you don't have to look at them?
It takes away the argument of the thread purpose (or have I got it wrong again?). If the problem is docked dogs being allowed at some shows and not others then banning docked dogs from all shows is just as much a solution to the problem as allowing them at all shows

As for your last question, no, I'm not happy for dogs to be docked as long as I don't have to look at them. I've seen so many problems relating to the docking that I believe the practice to be of major welfare concern.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:30 PM
[QUOTE=Ripsnorterthe2nd;2103332]I don't understand why you would want to introduce such a thing? What problem would it solve? These dogs already work, that's why they're docked. Or is it more so that you can see the proof for yourself?

You really don't understand what the law says do you? Funny as it is you who is saying no one understands!

If you make the showing part of a working test you are comforming to the law---and you could show your working dogs with docked tails. Problem solved.

Nothing to do with what I want. I am not the one moaning about it and I don't need proof. I am suggesting a way of getting round the law.

Sorry, who are you?!

Any credibility you had in this thread has just disappeared following that comment The fact that you don't even know the difference between the English and German Pointers just goes to show how little you know about gundogs and HPRs and shows to me how little you know about docking these dogs and the reasons behind it.

Thats why I asked. The question was answered. I still think cutting bits off a dog stinks----but I am kind enough to suggest a solution for you. I think the campaign is a loser but I expect it'll keep a few people busy for a while

No problem. It's a shame you can't see the link, the bit under "campaigns" shows some of the dogs that are docked for working reasons and denied entry at certain shows because of it.

There's a already a split between Lab and Spaniels, did you mean to put HPRs etc?

I've been following the campaign as I'm a member of one of the groups myself, I've just never posted for some reason!

rune
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Oh dear----they haven't and they are allowed to work their dogs docked but the LAW says they can't be shown where people pay for entry. So they have to choose which aspect is more important to them.

rune
The Law is quite clear in this respect
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Laura-Anne View Post
But those docked before 2007 (correct me if im wrong) can still be shown can they not?
Yes they can.

rune
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

rune
Oh dear----you've misread what I've posted. They haven't broken any laws by having their dogs docked for working purposes, so why should be excluded from showing where people pay to go in? What's the difference between having a docked dog exhibited at a show where an entrance fee is applicable to one where it's not (aside from the current law stating so)?

This law was created as an attempt to prevent docked dogs being shown, but it's fallen flat on it's face as the majority of entry fees have been removed so legally docked dogs can be shown. It's about time they changed the law so that all dogs are equal, if they're lawfully docked then how can it be unlawful to show them?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Oh dear----you've misread what I've posted. They haven't broken any laws by having their dogs docked for working purposes, so why should be excluded from showing where people pay to go in? What's the difference between having a docked dog exhibited at a show where an entrance fee is applicable to one where it's not (aside from the current law stating so)?

This law was created as an attempt to prevent docked dogs being shown, but it's fallen flat on it's face as the majority of entry fees have been removed so legally docked dogs can be shown. It's about time they changed the law so that all dogs are equal, if they're lawfully docked then how can it be unlawful to show them?
They are lawfully docked to WORK----not to show! Choice----work or show or----best one DON'T DOCK.

rune

rune
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-11-2010, 05:36 PM

Thats my thoughts. I find it even more confusing they allow dogs before the ban to be shown there just doesnt appear to be any logic in my mind.

I wouldnt see a working test as a bad thing after all they are conforming to a breed standard set for working ability.
Page 13 of 29 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »