Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rottyneo
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2009, 12:52 PM

Stiff hips and supplements

What are you using and where are you buying it from?

Are you getting good results?

Any you wouldn't recommend?
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Benson is on cod liver oil and Vetzyme High Strength Flexible Joint tablets as a supplement.

However, he also takes Metacam daily so I don't know if the Metacam or supplements help with his stiffness.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-01-2009, 01:29 PM
We were giving Kali Tesco's "Joint Care" chews, but puppy Thorgeir kept stealing them

So, now, we get him tablets from here:
http://www.healthspan.co.uk/pet-heal...188-c3182.aspx
which can be secreted in a bit of sausage!

They contain the usual substances (glucosamine and chondroitin).

He has only been getting them for a couple of days, so can only say that he seems pretty mobile for his 15 years!

Snorri
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 02:31 PM
We were recommended devils claw (herbal shop) for human and dogs, as my mum and the duchess have stiff joints
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 02:51 PM
My arthritic cross breed gets:
Vetri-Flex - these come from the vet and are covered by his insurance but they are basically green lipped mussel & glucosamine which I would switch to if it ever becomes necessary.
Vitamin E
Ester C
Fish Body Oils (omega 3)

This combination manages his arthritis (both knees severely affected) extremely well and he does not currently require any prescribed pain/anti-inflammatory medication. He shows no signs of pain/stiffness/lameness and exercises normally, including regular swimming. He is a 50kg Chow X Rottie, by the way.

*edited to add* I can highly recommend products from www.healthspan.co.uk Everyone in this house uses them, human and canine. Very good quality products, competitive prices and great service.
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Rusty my middle Setter has been taking Vetzyme High Strength Flexible Joint Supplements every day for several years and he is doing well. I have also recommended to some friends and they have had good results too.

I don't know if it is all in my mind or not, but Rusty has been a jointy dog all his life - but he has been a lot less problematic since taking the supplements (he will be 9 this year).

They about £13 for 90 tablets and are available at PAH & on the net. He has one tablet a day for his 32kg body weight.

I did try Flexadin (which is another supplement which has got Devil's Claw in it and has very good write ups). The only reason I went to this was I was having difficulty at one stage getting the Vetzyme supplements. Flexadin looked OK - you started at a higher dosage and then worked your way down.

Good luck!
Karen
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Arnica 30c and Rhus Tox 30c from Boots is a good combination for dogs (or people) with stiff and sore joints, muscles and tendons. I would recommend them. I also give Loki EPA and DHA Fish oils which are a natural anti inflammatory.
rottyneo
New Member!
Female 

26-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Thanks i shall try the glucosamine and chondroitin supplements first and see how we go from there.

He has Metacam but the vet felt he would only need it if he seemed in pain, which he doesn't. He has had a broken leg in the past that has been left to heal on its own in a very wonky position so he moves mainly on 3 legs sothe good leg gets a lot more work and because he runs on the wonk he's making his hips stiff
munchkin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Joint Aid for dogs is good, my old dog was on it for 5 years before she passed on. It contains Glucosamine and Condroitin and is formulated for dogs, although my old dog was large she eventually went onto the horse strength. It is made by Grow well feeds and can be purchased from Countrywide Stores.
munchkin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2009, 10:40 PM
Gosh reading that back I'd make a good sales person, maybe they should offer me a job!!!!!