Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2006, 04:39 PM

Blondi's Progress and "Oooh my Back".

Well done me. At some point over the past few days I've managed to hurt my back. Not even my lower back, but right in the bloody middle. I can't say that I'm in pain, so much as sufficient discomfort to keep me aware that all is not well in the lumbar region.

What's my solution? To order some weights! It's occurred to me recently that I'm starting to feel my age, and need to fight back. I used to do a lot of weight-training in my younger days, and so it made sense to try that again, as I really quite enjoyed it.

In the meantime, I'm trying to take things easy, in the hope that the discomfort will quickly pass. I was so tempted to not take Blondi for her "hell" training today. Alas, I sat there and thought, no, must keep on with the training, and so spent thirty minutes pounding the courtyard outside, and up the street.

She is getting much better by the day, and so to lose a day seemed to be a little suicidal really. We're now able to cover the courtyard, turn a corner, walk up a street, and stop at the bottom of a bridge without any pulling whatsoever. I chose that bridge, as it's quite low-level distraction. You get cars and people passing, but nowhere near as many as we would get actually going over the bridge. My plan is to maintain this for two twenty-minute sessions per day for the next week, and then extend it to over the bridge for another week, and so forth. Eventually heading into the town centre, turning off towards the vet, where there is, logically, likely to be greater exposure to dogs, as they come in and out of the vets.

She did her twenty-minute stay today! Hoorah! She sat there as good as gold, and didn't even attempt to lie down. So, as of tomorrow, we crank the pressure up a little, by moving a little away from her. It's also now been three days without being mouthed! Hoozah!

I'm now going to update on her progress each week for the next month, as obviously, not a great deal changes from day to day, but week by week, that's something else!

And now, to go rest my weary back. The issues of growing older....
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Wow, you're doing really well with her, I'm really impressed with the 20 minute stay.
Hope your back feels better soon.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Well done Blondi! She's certainly a quick learner Hope your back gets better soon too.
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Well done you for putting such great effort and work inot Blondi Hope your back feels better soon.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Well done with your progress with Blondi, she's certainly coming along very nicely
I also admire your commitment to her training, as most people may lapse for a day or two when they have an injury..
Hope your back gains strength and recovers ok.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Great stuff, Blondi seems to be coming on in leaps. Good work both of ya. Take care of the back though
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks. I've booked an appointment at the doctor's for tomorrow. Given the location of the pain, I just want to be sure I haven't done something really stupid. I've had lower pain back before, but this is right on my spine, about half way up. It can't be too serious, as I think I'd be in far more pain if it were. (Famous last words perhaps...)