Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
As with the closing of Walthamstow - the spotlight is on Raynham Park to ensure the welfare of the now redundant dogs.
At least those dogs, will find good homes, and at least the 2 apposing sides are working together on making sure it happens.

You have question this comment - “To them, these dogs were their family so they are treating them that way,” said Raynham Park spokeswoman Amy Lambiaso.

Since when did families re-home their dogs when they were no longer useful?
I can think of a few instances. Not every family, is a good one, to their dogs, or humans.

My guide dog, is part of our family, will I rehome him when he retires, honistly, I couldn't say either way at the moment, if it came to that, it certainly wouldn't be a decision made lightly.

The death of a healthy dog is never preferable or an option - which is why I campaign for the abolition of commercial greyhound racing which is responsible for the continuous and needless destruction of thousands of healthy greyhounds annually.
Can't argue with that.

Personally I think the bookmakers, breeders, owners and trainers should be responsible for their dogs - surplus to requirements - regardless of whether racing continues or stops.
Those who just dump their dogs, should be made to take responsability for their actions, but like has already been stated on this thread, many do take care of their dogs in retirement.

For the record, the bookmakers levy is paid 12 months in arrears – therefore, if it was banned tomorrow, the WHOLE levy of approximately £11 million could and should go to ensuring the welfare of redundant dogs, instead of the thousands spent on tarting up stadium restaurants and paying for research and dissection of these innocent creatures.
Agree, the money should be use for that. What exactly are the dogs used for when they are killed and dissected, what are they hoping to gain from it.
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
At least those dogs, will find good homes, and at least the 2 apposing sides are working together on making sure it happens.
This is very true and good to see.

My guide dog, is part of our family, will I rehome him when he retires, honistly, I couldn't say either way at the moment, if it came to that, it certainly wouldn't be a decision made lightly.
Why cant you keep your guide dog?

Those who just dump their dogs, should be made to take responsability for their actions, but like has already been stated on this thread, many do take care of their dogs in retirement.
Keeping a greyhound once they can no longer race, is not financially viable in commercial greyhound racing. In fact - the industry's Rules of Racing allow for healthy greyhounds to be destroyed, under the guise of being uneconomical to re-home or uneconomical to be treated for minor injuries.

Agree, the money should be use for that. What exactly are the dogs used for when they are killed and dissected, what are they hoping to gain from it.
The research and dissection at Liverpool University is part funded by the racing industry. Greyhounds are used to research bone growth and injuries but many others were used simply for students to practice on.

The Royal Veterinary College also use healthy greyhounds for research and dissection - again - for students to practice on. They still 'order' organs from healthy greyhounds but decline to tell us what these organs are used for.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Why cant you keep your guide dog?
I can't say definately either way, for the simple reason, that his retirement is at least 7 years away. I certainly plan on keeping him, however, when he retires, and say for example I'm out working all day, with another dog, with know human/canine company for him, and he isn't happy, then and only then, would I concidder it, as frankly, his happyness and wellfaire, is far more important than my own wish to keep him, and any moral obligation people may put on me to do so. Rehoming him, is highly unlikely, and the only reason I can't say for definate really, is because I never say never, as you don't know what the future will bring.

The research and dissection at Liverpool University is part funded by the racing industry. Greyhounds are used to research bone growth and injuries but many others were used simply for students to practice on.

The Royal Veterinary College also use healthy greyhounds for research and dissection - again - for students to practice on. They still 'order' organs from healthy greyhounds but decline to tell us what these organs are used for.
Thanks for answering that, and although I'm certainly not anti animal testing, that is quite sad. Reminds me of college, we had a complete skelliton from a whippet I think it was, along with a cat, the corpse of 1 of the snakes we cared for, after it died at the good age of 15, from cancer, kept in a freezer, so that we could practice/learn from it. So, can understand the need for such, but like I've already said, its still sad.

Oh, and forgot to mention, the still born deformed lamb, also kept in a freezer, for the same reasons. Not joking, it looked like a bloody alien.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by galty View Post
Very good post... for putting PETA point of view.

At least you admit not like some on this board who because of said negitive thinking on topic title are only are interested with the Greyhound dying out, while you think that all pet animals and the owning of ALL pet animals should be banned because one person WILL abuse that said animal so they should die out, PETA have said that for the last 20 years

One must respect your view as you said that All animals are abused that the owning of all pets should be banned unless they are from rescues after being sterilised so that breed dies out and the only ones left(if any) are wild.

That is the PETA policy and I respect your view and not like some who have denied it after saying the same.
... i am so confused... did you even read my post properly?? where did you get that i think pets should be banned?? seriously, would i have a dog if i thought that! and also, where did i say ALL animals are abused... i said they CAN be, meaning its not just greyhounds that are!!!!

I thought she said breeding should be restricted more, not banned, that was how I read it anyway. I don't think restricting breeding will solve the issue alone, the numbers of dogs in rescue will drop, but only because the over all population of dogs, will have dropped. Most likely, the percentages of dogs ending up in rescue, abandoned or abused will stay the same, just relative to a decrease population.

Whilst we are on the subject of peta, I'd say this quote somes them up quite well. As well as, my view of them.

If you can tell, not my favourite group of people.
thank you, i was saying breeding should be resticted, not banned.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-12-2009, 09:34 AM
2. On the subject of over breeding and dogs being put into rescue, abandoned or abused/miss-treated.

If we are going to use the argument that, commercial racing should be removed on grounds that greyhounds are over bred, dumped into rescue, abandoned and abused, then perhaps people should look at the number of pet dogs that are over bred, abused and abandoned or put into rescue every year, before deciding to use that one in their anti argument. As lets face it, a non dog owning member of the public, could easily say that dog ownership should be banned, using those same points.

There is good and bad in everything. It is important to remember, that when striving to remove the bad you do not demonize the good along with them. For it will be them who will implement any change. After all, change in anything, most often comes from within.
I can only presume from this that you also believe there is good and bad in puppy farmers and that too should not be banned then?

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I can answer that. The money side is part of it, its a business for most, but not for some (like me.) When you make money it becomes your aim to do so, its your living. Still, there are a FEW that dont play by the rules as there are in every single business in the whole wide world.

Get used to it Spot, its a business and people are there to make money from the dogs, thats what we (me) do isnt it? I mean we board dogs for money, we profit from dogs and cats, and guess what? there are "some" that dont do it properly too! Like I have said with racing, if I see wrong I will say so, and I have.
Well at least you said it whereas most on here are saying its nothing to do with the money! Again as above how can you then slate puppy farmers, thats their aim, to profit from dogs and cats.

But, and you knew there would be, no Dawn I will not get used to it. I hope I never get used to animal abuse, I hope I never get used to dogs being dumped because they are too old, I hope I never get used to people thinking its fine to have a healthy dog pts and I hope I never get used to people seeing dogs as nothing more than a slab of meat, I hope I never ever get used to any of it enough not to try and do something about it.

As I have said what others see as wrong some see as fine and nothing wrong with it so it appears have nothing to speak out about.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Well at least you said it whereas most on here are saying its nothing to do with the money! Again as above how can you then slate puppy farmers, thats their aim, to profit from dogs and cats.

But, and you knew there would be, no Dawn I will not get used to it. I hope I never get used to animal abuse, I hope I never get used to dogs being dumped because they are too old, I hope I never get used to people thinking its fine to have a healthy dog pts and I hope I never get used to people seeing dogs as nothing more than a slab of meat, I hope I never ever get used to any of it enough not to try and do something about it.

As I have said what others see as wrong some see as fine and nothing wrong with it so it appears have nothing to speak out about.
good post, and i agree! well said!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I thought that here might be the place to put this but....
I know of someone who works with a woman who they have recently found out breeds and races Greyhounds with thier husbands, and I might actually get the chance to help out with the dogs in the kennels and at the track, although this isn't set in stone yet I just thought that they would share, as if I am able to help out I may have more of a chance to find a local place through one of the people there where Lurchers can actually be coursed , I might not, but theres always hoping, and I will get some good experience too.

P.s. talking to the woman she was saying that even if they 'wanted' to dump a Grey somewhere there is a paper trail on each dog, and it would be near impossible for them to do, even though they don't or won't do it
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Go for it Chaz, come back and report.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Don't worry I will lol. The best thing is that normally when I'm doing something that I want to with animals its between 1-2 hours away, this woman and the track is only about 6 miles away, so it will be a lot quicker. And I will be getting hands on experience doing something that I haven't yet done, which could only be good
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Don't worry I will lol. The best thing is that normally when I'm doing something that I want to with animals its between 1-2 hours away, this woman and the track is only about 6 miles away, so it will be a lot quicker. And I will be getting hands on experience doing something that I haven't yet done, which could only be good
Yes I agree, look forward to hearing how you get on. I saw one of my trainer friends today, he has 2 fabulous yearlings, they were quite "amused" by a tiny Border terrier puppy.
Page 92 of 157 « First < 42 82 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 102 142 > Last »