View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-04-2008, 04:43 PM
dominance in dogs has not been subject to much scientific research.
did like this line as a lot have said that it does not happen
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
I'd just like to add that I do not think it matters whether I rehabilitate dogs myself. I don't think that is a defense for your opinion because I have been to see trainers and volunteered with dogs and I know that just because you have a job working in this area does not make you more knowledgeable at all times.
I was just curious because you seem so very strongly pro Milan, I wondered if you'd used his techniques professionally is all

She was downright rude the entire time and told me everything I or anyone else did was stupid,
Well that's not on for a start, no point making people feel bad when helping them to train, I'd agree with you there
This woman actually had her own club! And people actually went!!
I know, there are too many people like this - no people skills and not any real dog training skills.
Some dogs don't have a clue how to interact with their own kind- something which I've read Turid Rugaas talking about.
Yes, I agree, I think somewhere (I have absolutely no idea where! ) I mentioned that, but can't remember the exact context.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post

I agree with it in many ways- that the expression of the dog, with it's ears back and eyes looking nervous are deliberate.
Designed to communicate

My dog does it all the time, like when I pick up her dog bowl to put it down, because she wants it really bad and so is acting submissive or 'good.'
I don't understand some of what you've written about your dog, it sounds as if you are thinking her reactions/commumication is like a big pretense? I'm sure I'm reading it wrong.

It also makes complete sense that the dog, like a spoilt child will fight and get upset if someone tries to stop them doing what they want, because that's what they're used to and they will overcome most people with their hyperactive and insolent attitude.
Too anthropomorphic! dogs are dogs, period. They do what they do - and they communicate pretty honestly. CM strings some of them up and pins them down, of course they fight him!

If you were choking and being made to walk with that person, and your parents just stood there letting it happen, what would you do? I'd flipping well fight him for my life.

That's why they struggle,
No it's not .... sorry...it's really not.

it doesn't mean they're scared. All the force is on the half of the dog usually,
Because it's afraid...

Cesar is just restraining it while it's going nuts, but people interpret it as him doing all the grappling.
He's not grappling much and he's calm - but he's still using tight collars and choking and the rest. I could hold a dog calmly and still cause it much distress and fear, I could slowly choke one to death in that way, I'm sure you could too.

The dog is making it a fight, Cesar's only asking it to do something natural and polite- to submit.
I'm finding this more and more difficult to read.

If anyone's going to win this fight, in the interests of the dog and it's owners, who should it be? Once it realises it can't get away by having a tantrum it is usually easily put on it's side and it calms down.
Much debate over whether the dogs are calm or actually in a state of learned helplessness. I see the latter unless the film goes on for some time after, then we may see a calmer dog which is very relieved.

Then the dog's eyes lighten up and it actually seems happier. And when it's calm Cesar rewards it with a scratch or a massage.
No doubt the dog's eyes light up because he is grateful for the lesson in manners and not having a tantrum
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Ben McF - there was nearly a tidal wave when I had that flash of inspiration
I think it wasn't too far off really
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I don't like the clip or the way the dog had been dealt with previously, but CM can't be blamed for what went before. I haven't seen the entire program just several differing clips, which is a bit odd,
I've only seen the same clips posted on different sites

The episode that jonbee is in is actually on sky 3 this thursday 24th april at 6pm. If you don't have sky then maybe someone could record it for you and then you would have a chance to see the whole thing? No idea if that channel is available on freeview?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I think it wasn't too far off really
I was quite proud of it

Colliemad, Sky 3 is on freeview
colliemad
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
I was quite proud of it

Colliemad, Sky 3 is on freeview

thanks sarah, wasn't sure!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 05:39 PM
Mish: I've just been trying to catch up on this thread ... starting from page 50, but I've actually had to give up because of a head and brain ache!

However, there was one comment from you that I must address because I would hate to think that I was getting at you. I had said something like "someone had said such and such". This "someone" was actually yourself, and you seem to have taken grave exception at it, assuming that I was winding you up. I promise you I wasn't, what it is is this. I get flack like you would never imagine from OH whenever I come on Dogsey, so I have very little time indeed to make and read postings. I wasn't sure whether it was you, Patch, Colliemad or someone else who had made the statement I was quoting, and I just couldn't trawl back through loads of posts looking for it. It was just quicker to say "someone". Sorry, but that's just the way it is, so apologies in advance if anyone is ever offended by my lack of smiley thingeys, or blurred references, I just don't have the time to play for too long between (supposedly) working !!

By the way mishflynn if it was you who suggested that a pro CM-er should video themselves working with their dog, then I think that is a brilliant idea. We have got an ancient video camera somewhere, when the weather is a bit warmer I will certainly get OH to film me controlling Tai off lead whilst walking past the chickens that are loose on the set aside (grrr, it really annoys me this, the owner freaks when a dog gets one of his chickens yet he makes no attempt to keep them in his garden. The damned stupid things hide under the hedge, so you think they are all in the garden, and then just when the dog walks past, they all go bananas and start running around like the headless chickens they are very soon about to become!). One of my most pet hates at the moment. We now have a dog fox hanging around, so when he gets into the garden and kills them all, doubtless Tai is going to get the blame
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
By the way mishflynn if it was you who suggested that a pro CM-er should video themselves working with their dog, then I think that is a brilliant idea.
I posted a vid yesterday of my dog doing retrieval. It's titled 'Retrieval Practice'.

It's very funny
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by colliemad View Post
I've only seen the same clips posted on different sites

The episode that jonbee is in is actually on sky 3 this thursday 24th april at 6pm. If you don't have sky then maybe someone could record it for you and then you would have a chance to see the whole thing? No idea if that channel is available on freeview?
Thanx, I'll record it on sky+ they're series linked anyway so it will do it automatically.
Well I've seen two different ones both on this thread I think, which is what I was referring to, don't ask me to find them though.

oh good job I went and checked, I record the ones on tuesdays at 6pm on sky 3 not the thursday, but I've now set it to record it.
Page 90 of 102 « First < 40 80 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 100 > Last »