View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:13 PM
But the temperament and health even of a rescue pup can be questioned. Development starts in the womb and if the bitch has been stressed/illl in preganancy it can have a long lasting impact on the health and temperament of the pups.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:24 PM
i've had a dog from breed rescues before and they've been returned for aggression towards my kids and my OH even tho i was told they were ok with people.
on returning them i found out that a behaviourist had reccomended the dog NOT be homed with kids or men.
i lost faith

the 2 dogs i've had from dodgy rescues have been great. 1 was 3/4yrs old and lived till he was 14yrs old, the other 'royal highness' is with me now.

Hector is my first pedigree. i wanted a Leonberger from a pup so he could grow with us. 2 yrs of research paid off. yes he cost a bomb but thats my business. i dont hold with the snob value as people have pedigree knowing what the dog will eventually become.

also with rescue centres policies being so strict on young families wanting a pup and refusing them makes you wonder why PF's and BYB's do such a good trade.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by hectorsmum View Post
also with rescue centres policies being so strict on young families wanting a pup and refusing them makes you wonder why PF's and BYB's do such a good trade.
Totally agree with that.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Personally I would prefer to home an already established adult dog who has been assessed and proven to be safe around children, than rehome a puppy who could grow up to 'turn' on one of the kids -
So, on that assumption, so can a rescue dog 'Turn' ............. so maybe most people want to make sure they can 'prevent' that with a puppy, than 'take the risk' with an unknown !!
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
No Colin they don't 'have' to at all. It's up to them and most will return the paperwork to the Kennel Club, or seek advice from the breed club about returning them.
I have just spoken to the owner of the Dobermann rescue centre where I got Onyx from to clarify the situation once and for all, and she has told me that legally all paperwork received with the dog should be handed across to the new owner, but alot of rescue centres don't do the old owner likes to remain unknown, and as their detail are on the KC certificate it would put them in breech of the confidentiality act.

I guess it depends who you know and what concent has been given.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-01-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Note I didn't actually ask you what your answer would have been
Well, the saying is that a dog is man's best friend...not the trouble and strife
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:33 PM
There are plenty of pups in rescue if someone is concerned about taking on an adult dog.[/B]
I also think that one of the major reasons people go to breeders is that they know the history of the dogs behind a pup, being healthy etc.

You can never know that about a rescue dog and therefore why many avoid taking on a rescue. People are prepared to pay for a dog that has come from healthy dogs that have been health tested, and th majority of dogs in rescuesdo not come from heath testing breeders.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
I have just spoken to the owner of the Dobermann rescue centre where I got Onyx from to clarify the situation once and for all, and she has told me that legally all paperwork received with the dog should be handed across to the new owner, but alot of rescue centres don't do the old owner likes to remain unknown, and as their detail are on the KC certificate it would put them in breech of the confidentiality act.

I guess it depends who you know and what concent has been given.
You have only spoken to Dobe rescue. Like I and others have said, MOST don't

Not that it would make any difference. The reason most want a KC registered dog, is for health, history and quality reasons and as most dogs in rescues are from puppy farmers, you are never guaranteed any of those things, so it wouldnt really matter if they were handed over as the dog would most likely not be good enoug to be shown anyway.,
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:45 PM
So, on that assumption, so can a rescue dog 'Turn' ............. so maybe most people want to make sure they can 'prevent' that with a puppy, than 'take the risk' with an unknown !!
I assume you didn't mean to miss out the rest of my post.
Personally I would prefer to home an already established adult dog who has been assessed and proven to be safe around children, than rehome a puppy who could grow up to 'turn' on one of the kids - one of the many reasons for young adolescent dogs ending up in rescue, dogs who've originated both from BYB's and Reputable Breeders.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 07:47 PM
You have only spoken to Dobe rescue. Like I and others have said, MOST don't

Not that it would make any difference. The reason most want a KC registered dog, is for health, history and quality reasons and as most dogs in rescues are from puppy farmers, you are never guaranteed any of those things, so it wouldnt really matter if they were handed over as the dog would most likely not be good enoug to be shown anyway.,
Yep I agree,there are lots of staffies in rescue most don't resemble the breed at all,those that come from good breeders take them back anyway,so that narrows it down plus our breed rescue will not give you any ped,or KC documents.
Page 9 of 23 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »