Originally Posted by Malady View Post
That crossed my mind too

2 peas in a pod!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-12-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I'm still sceptical as to whether it was actually an accident and the reason for my harshness. I think it was intentional because in the first post the OP says she did everything to keep them apart and they mated on accident, then in her second she said she thought her male was castrated !

If she was under the assumption he was castrated, WHY did she feel the need to keep them apart ?

It doesn't add up.
Firstly this is not the way I read it at all, what the OP actually said was she kept the dogs apart after they mated the first time (the second time she thought the season had ended) and that she was under the impression the dog had been neutered or she would not have left the two alone in the first place. I also get the impression two of the dogs were only recently acquired

Originally Posted by Pixie
the bitch is three years old i did keep them apart after he got her the first time but unfotunatelly when he came back home she sttod for him and i wasnt quick enough to preveent it as i thought her season was finished
Originally Posted by Pixie
thank you for beeing nice about this i would never of left the dogs together if i new the boy hadn't been done but when i brought the 2 together i was told the boy had been done this is why i wasn't sure if she was pregnant or not but the vet has confirmed she is so now i will deal with the situation in hand
Nither have I seen the OP say anywhere that this is the second time she 'has had an accident'.

Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I have made my thoughts clear, so I am not going into it again. What I will say is there is how shocked I am that people say because she has had an accidental once its not possible to have a 2nd "accident". I know there are many people make more than the same mistake twice, not just in the dog world but in all other forms of life....

Also while some feel storngly enough to use "harsh words" remember this, there maybe people who come along here maybe in a situation where they have an unplanned litter wanting advice, they see this thread and feel they may get the same treatment and not bother posting, so remember, it maybe right to be harsh to get your point across, but you must realise it may push others away.
I agree Stormy when I reply to threads I think of the many people who read the forum looking for help and if someone has had accident the best advice I can give to help the unborn puppies to be healthy and it certainly isn't by chasing people away..

It is possible to help people without condoning their actions ......

Edited later to add...
People are jumping to conclusions and misreading posts then adding replies based on their own assumptions .

Many people here have received help from Dogsey members in the past without being judged, how sad they can't return a little of that goodwill in kind by being helpful instead of judgemental .
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 11:54 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Firstly this is not the way I read it at all, what the OP actually said was she kept the dogs apart after they mated the first time (the second time she thought the season had ended) and that she was under the impression the dog had been neutered or she would not have left the two alone in the first place. I also get the impression two of the dogs were only recently acquired
Either way, what I was trying to say was......Why try to keep the dogs apart at all ? if she indeed thought the male was castrated ?

I just read it differently
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2007, 11:55 PM
How many times have people posted on dogsey saying they have learnt so much since joining. Why can't people give advice and try to help instead of being so judgemental all the time. Chasing people away is not going to educate anyone.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 12:01 AM
I truly feel there is a place where a line has to be drawn. If people who allow `accidents` to happen are just told `oh dear, never mind`, it gives the impression that its acceptable to add to the numbers of already unwanted dogs and `ok` to not research carefully, have health tests done, or do any of the other things ethical breeders strive for.

We have to keep in mind, the people allowing `accidents` to happen are grown adults, not children, and as such don`t need anyone to pander or pussyfoot around the realities of it all.

When I adopted my Gremlin, I was told she was already spayed.
The day before I had adopted my Defa who was entire, [ he was in too poor physical health to have been snipped prior to adoption ].
The moment it became evident that Gremlin was not spayed, I took preventative measures - Delvo, antimate, and yes nappies on Gremlin to prevent anything happening, as well as the usual precautions of never leaving them alone together nor one or other being out of grabbing distance at any time, and when having to go out, one of them came out with me and the other stayed at home - closed doors are often no sure safeguard for a determined dog, where there`s a will there`s a way to get that door open...

Had I been lax at any time, Gremlin would have been to the vet for the jab to stop a pregnancy going ahead.

These are such basic things to do, and any adult deemed capable of caring for a dog should be able to take basic preventative measures, and I`m sorry but not knowing a male was entire, that just does`nt fly imo, particularly when, as has been pointed out, an apparent attempt was made to keep them apart which would not have been necessary unless knowing full well that the boy was intact.

The straight talking done on this thread is not about anyone thinking they are perfect, its about plain common sense and not letting anyone reading get the impression that irresponsible breeding is ok, its not, not under any circumstance.

My sympathies are with the girl going through a completely unnecessary pregnancy, the puppies which have to be found homes, and the people who feel they are banging their heads on brick walls against the tide of unplanned litters which usually land on the doorsteps of already inundated Rescues or end up being sold on Free-ads to people looking for a cheap puppy which will probably get bred from as well, and so it goes on
chopperlodge
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2007, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
I have made my thoughts clear, so I am not going into it again. What I will say is there is how shocked I am that people say because she has had an accidental once its not possible to have a 2nd "accident". I know there are many people make more than the same mistake twice, not just in the dog world but in all other forms of life....

Also while some feel storngly enough to use "harsh words" remember this, there maybe people who come along here maybe in a situation where they have an unplanned litter wanting advice, they see this thread and feel they may get the same treatment and not bother posting, so remember, it maybe right to be harsh to get your point across, but you must realise it may push others away.
I'm sorry but I cannot condone Pixidust using the 'accident' scenario. If we adopt the what's done is done excuse then we are in fact condoning all the BYB as they will just turn around and say its an accident.
I have rescued over the years and always gone straight to the vet and de-sexed. I am also a reg. breeder and also de-sex what I do not keep for myself because of this type of thing. I do not want 'accidents' to happen as there are so many dogs needing homes.
Whether she wanted help/advice, all she has done is contradict herself, first it was an accident then it was that she didn't know the dog was intact, give me a break.
Help and advice I'm happy to give but sometimes,IMO, you need to be harsh.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I truly feel there is a place where a line has to be drawn. If people who allow `accidents` to happen are just told `oh dear, never mind`, it gives the impression that its acceptable to add to the numbers of already unwanted dogs and `ok` to not research carefully, have health tests done, or do any of the other things ethical breeders strive for.

We have to keep in mind, the people allowing `accidents` to happen are grown adults, not children, and as such don`t need anyone to pander or pussyfoot around the realities of it all.

When I adopted my Gremlin, I was told she was already spayed.
The day before I had adopted my Defa who was entire, [ he was in too poor physical health to have been snipped prior to adoption ].
The moment it became evident that Gremlin was not spayed, I took preventative measures - Delvo, antimate, and yes nappies on Gremlin to prevent anything happening, as well as the usual precautions of never leaving them alone together nor one or other being out of grabbing distance at any time, and when having to go out, one of them came out with me and the other stayed at home - closed doors are often no sure safeguard for a determined dog, where there`s a will there`s a way to get that door open...

Had I been lax at any time, Gremlin would have been to the vet for the jab to stop a pregnancy going ahead.

These are such basic things to do, and any adult deemed capable of caring for a dog should be able to take basic preventative measures, and I`m sorry but not knowing a male was entire, that just does`nt fly imo, particularly when, as has been pointed out, an apparent attempt was made to keep them apart which would not have been necessary unless knowing full well that the boy was intact.

The straight talking done on this thread is not about anyone thinking they are perfect, its about plain common sense and not letting anyone reading get the impression that irresponsible breeding is ok, its not, not under any circumstance.

My sympathies are with the girl going through a completely unnecessary pregnancy, the puppies which have to be found homes, and the people who feel they are banging their heads on brick walls against the tide of unplanned litters which usually land on the doorsteps of already inundated Rescues or end up being sold on Free-ads to people looking for a cheap puppy which will probably get bred from as well, and so it goes on
So very well put :smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by chopperlodge View Post
I'm sorry but I cannot condone Pixidust using the 'accident' scenario. If we adopt the what's done is done excuse then we are in fact condoning all the BYB as they will just turn around and say its an accident.
I have rescued over the years and always gone straight to the vet and de-sexed. I am also a reg. breeder and also de-sex what I do not keep for myself because of this type of thing. I do not want 'accidents' to happen as there are so many dogs needing homes.
Whether she wanted help/advice, all she has done is contradict herself, first it was an accident then it was that she didn't know the dog was intact, give me a break.
Help and advice I'm happy to give but sometimes,IMO, you need to be harsh.
No one is condoning, but if an accident does happen should we just not bother to help?

No one wants accidents to happen, but they do and thats why they are called accidents.

You do sometimes need to be harsh, but like I said(the bit you seemed to have missed) that may push others looking for advice away and them going it alone and having problems that may harm the pups and what for, all for the sake of being "harsh".
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
How many times have people posted on dogsey saying they have learnt so much since joining. Why can't people give advice and try to help instead of being so judgemental all the time. Chasing people away is not going to educate anyone.
Yes, you are right that Dogsey is a very educational place - but preventative measures need to be part of it too.
Its too late for the OP to be educated about litter prevention, a litter is already underway, [ possibly a second litter to that OP ], but for anyone coming across this thread, if the comments make them be just that bit more careful than they might have been, and prevents their dogs having an unplanned litter, then the educational side will have played its part in a very important way. If the comments here can prevent just one unwanted litter which might have otherwise happened, then every poster concerned has played part in preventing that unplanned litter.
If anyone already in the same situation reads it, the advice on what to do next is also within the thread which means they are going to be helped on that side of it as well.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-12-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Yes, you are right that Dogsey is a very educational place - but preventative measures need to be part of it too.
Its too late for the OP to be educated about litter prevention, a litter is already underway, [ possibly a second litter to that OP ], but for anyone coming across this thread, if the comments make them be just that bit more careful than they might have been, and prevents their dogs having an unplanned litter, then the educational side will have played its part in a very important way. If the comments here can prevent just one unwanted litter which might have otherwise happened, then every poster concerned has played part in preventing that unplanned litter.
If anyone already in the same situation reads it, the advice on what to do next is also within the thread which means they are going to be helped on that side of it as well.
preventative measures should be a part but does this mean they have to be said in the manner they have been used here, no and what about like i said the people who maybe in trouble who may walk away because of the harsh tone used here. should we just forget them or try and be more polite and help people, just like the old days.
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >