View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Stephanie, thank you, I think you are right, I will stock both to be on the safe side. Thank you for letting me know.

Hi Het, sorry that Isla had a similar experience, at least you know what it is to prevent it from happening again - thank you for your kind words, Fern sends doggy kisses over
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi MC glad Fern is better today ..it is very scary when dogs have a severe allergic reaction to something and you should always be aware that in a few dogs the reaction can be very serious.

I would talk to the vet about having a quick acting antihistamine with you in case it is needed and you would be well advised to have a veterinary medication not a human one...did you read Christine's link below ? Many human preparations contain a coating that dissolve at a different rate in a dogs tummy and so the reaction can be delayed or unpredictable, also Histamine is not the only mediator of inflammation in the dog, and so human antihistamine medications are not as reliable for dogs as they are for us, so unless it is a dire emergence it is always wise to get vet advice before giving a dog any human medication ...

Christines link http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/sho...4&postcount=12

I use Atarax (hydroxine) which is on the list but your vet will be able to recommend what is best for Fern
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:26 PM
So pleased Fern is better today MC, what a night you had...Give him big big cuddles from me, and a slobbery kiss from Mollie...xxx
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Ingrid poor Fern, and how scarey for you. Im just releived he is getting better and the swelling is going down
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Mini, absolutely brilliant link, thanks for bringing it to light, and thanks Christine for originally posting it.

x

Originally Posted by Minihaha

Christines link http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/sho...4&postcount=12

I use Atarax (hydroxine) which is on the list but your vet will be able to recommend what is best for Fern
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Just seen this thread about Fern - poor lad You must have been going out of your mind with worry MC. I am so pleased he is feeling a bit better now. Flame once had a slight reaction to a wasp sting, but nowhere near as bad as your poor boy. As everyone else has said, I would make sure you have some antihistamine in your cupboard from now on.

Also, just a thought, you said you couldn't get in touch with your vet due to the time of night and that there was no message on their answerphone with an emergency number to contact. This would worry me, and so I would speak to your vet about where you should call in an emergency.

Hugs to the gorgeous Fern.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Just found this thread

I'm really glad that he is better and that you have a much happier healther puppy this morning ! I've been lucky that my two have never had a swollen face, will maybe get some Piriton for my cupboard maybe.

Once again glad to hear he's ok and give him a big hug from me
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2005, 01:34 PM
glad to hear Fern is a lot better today you must have got a fright last night.
Olly
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 01:41 PM
hi mc hope you dont mind me butting in but seeing that pic of poor fern reminded me of a dog we had years ago that was stung by either a wasp or bee we were actully on holiday, so our vet was out of reach and luckily a another camper was "dogwise" and advised batheing her face with a cold flannel at least till we got to a vet (we didnt at this time know it was a sting) anyway when we got there the vet said it was exactly the right thing to do, as a precaution, and in our case no further treatment was needed, hopefully fern will be as easily sorted, try not to worry too much ,i think dogs are really resillient.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2005, 02:01 PM
Glad he is OK MC, hard to keep a good dog down for long.
Dawn.
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >