Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Surely in the case of the dog escaping & getting through the fence to the kitten next door means the fence is flawed and now is the time to either replace it or reinforce it and add height to it at same time?
Believe it or not, its a good blinking fence. I dont know how the little begger did it! (he must have been out there a while to cause it damage!). Its one of those ones where its breeze blocks for the first foot or two and then a wooden fence. Obviously, its the wooden fence he partly ate.

Terriers really are tenacious
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:11 PM
I fail to see the problem.

First of all good fences make for good neighbours and if she has a child she would want a robust fence.

Secondly she can avoid the risk of the dog jumping over by fixing an angled overhang.

Thirdly she can spray the fence with obnoxious substances such as bitter apple, citronella, vicks which will dissuade the dog from going through the fence and disguise the smell of cat.

Fourthly she can put something in front of the fence which will discourage chewing eg netting etc.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:17 PM
re the lady that march hound knows, we had similar problems with the dog over the back of us as was male unneutered staffie and him and bruno were trying to kill each other through the fence,. I ended up lining our side of the fence with sterling board sheets which are quite thick and completely solid, It doesn't look the most attractive but there is no way through it and it solved the problem. Might be worth a try
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I fail to see the problem.

First of all good fences make for good neighbours and if she has a child she would want a robust fence.

Secondly she can avoid the risk of the dog jumping over by fixing an angled overhang.

Thirdly she can spray the fence with obnoxious substances such as bitter apple, citronella, vicks which will dissuade the dog from going through the fence and disguise the smell of cat.

Fourthly she can put something in front of the fence which will discourage chewing eg netting etc.
None of this is going to cure the dogs aggitation? I fail to see the solution.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
re the lady that march hound knows, we had similar problems with the dog over the back of us as was male unneutered staffie and him and bruno were trying to kill each other through the fence,. I ended up lining our side of the fence with sterling board sheets which are quite thick and completely solid, It doesn't look the most attractive but there is no way through it and it solved the problem. Might be worth a try
Thats a good way to prevent him eating the fence but it isnt going to stop him being nuts at the fence and running up and down the garden bouncing in hope he can bounce over, lol.

Re your dogs, did he give up wanting to go to the fence once you put the sheets up, or was the desire still there...?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
None of this is going to cure the dogs aggitation? I fail to see the solution.
I am sorry, I thought I was being helpful, I bow to your superior knowledge and experience in these matters.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
Thats a good way to prevent him eating the fence but it isnt going to stop him being nuts at the fence and running up and down the garden bouncing in hope he can bounce over, lol.

Re your dogs, did he give up wanting to go to the fence once you put the sheets up, or was the desire still there...?
yes he did, once he could no longer see the dog it became less of a problem.. I think because the slats were gone and less smells came through too it lessened the issue, having said that he still barks when a dog at the back does, but he no longer goes for the fence.

I definetly think I would be suggesting this first before going down rehoming route tbh.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
yes he did, once he could no longer see the dog it became less of a problem.. I think because the slats were gone and less smells came through too it lessened the issue, having said that he still barks when a dog at the back does, but he no longer goes for the fence.

I definetly think I would be suggesting this first before going down rehoming route tbh.
I dont want her to rehome him. He is a darling and I dont want him losing his home because a neighbour got a kitten. Its wrong.

I will mention the fence.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Pippam I realise you are very young but posts like this are totally unecessary at best and untrue at worst.
Now, I have no idea how old Pippam is... but, I fail to see how that is relevant. I hate when people assume that younger people know nothing... now, maybe you didn't agree with Pippam's post but her age should not IMO have been brought into it.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
It most certainly is condoned by many. Its "ok" because its a Cat. Well thats disgraceful to me.
I have no doubt in my mind that Jake would kill a cat if he managed to catch one. Do I think it is 'ok' because it is a cat?? No, of course not. Do I think that it is his instinct and a natural thing for him to do? Yes, I do.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Now, I have no idea how old Pippam is... but, I fail to see how that is relevant. I hate when people assume that younger people know nothing... now, maybe you didn't agree with Pippam's post but her age should not IMO have been brought into it.

Age is very relevant in all spheres of life, that is why for example there are specific ages when you can and cannot do something and why there are young persons risk assessments.

It does not matter how INTELLIGENT you are, the fact of only being on the earth a short amount of time means you cannot have the skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience of those who have been around longer.

This is recognised in all walks of life, especially work.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, now matter how uninformed it may be.

HTH

It is also a lot less rude!
Page 9 of 30 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »