Our sister sites
Our sister sites
harley quinn
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I'm a little confused as to how your vet would know the content of your policy

In my experience , they ask if you are insured, you say yes. You get your claim form fill your part in, and the vet fills in their and sends it off... They have no reason to read the finer details of your policy, so why would he tell you that you are covered
The vet asked for payment up front for the treatment £879, we said we didn't have it, the vet asked if she was insured, we said yes, so they asked if they could see some proof, so i emailed the insurance company and they e mailed me instantly back with all policy documents, which in turn i emailed to the vet. Harley had to stay overnight, when i phoned the vet the following morning to check on her i asked if the insurance would be ok, and they said absolutely .
On another note, we have always dobermanns, and not one of our previous dogs has attempted to jump a wall, and no i had totally no idea that the wall was dodgy, i have learnt from my mistake and realize now that this dog was more athletic than our previous dogs, and will obviously be more cautious in future
Thank you for your replies

Danielle xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Good luck Danielle xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by harley quinn View Post
The vet asked for payment up front for the treatment £879, we said we didn't have it, the vet asked if she was insured, we said yes, so they asked if they could see some proof, so i emailed the insurance company and they e mailed me instantly back with all policy documents, which in turn i emailed to the vet. Harley had to stay overnight, when i phoned the vet the following morning to check on her i asked if the insurance would be ok, and they said absolutely .
On another note, we have always dobermanns, and not one of our previous dogs has attempted to jump a wall, and no i had totally no idea that the wall was dodgy, i have learnt from my mistake and realize now that this dog was more athletic than our previous dogs, and will obviously be more cautious in future
Thank you for your replies

Danielle xx
I see, have to admit I am surprised they would commit to such a statement, they don't usually give such a committed opinion, due to them getting it wrong and repercussions....

Can you say just how high the wall is ??
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I see, have to admit I am surprised they would commit to such a statement, they don't usually give such a committed opinion, due to them getting it wrong and repercussions....

Can you say just how high the wall is ??
Something I've been DYING to find out too!

I do feel the vet bears some responsibility for their positive statements that OP WOULD be covered.
harley quinn
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2013, 08:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Something I've been DYING to find out too!

I do feel the vet bears some responsibility for their positive statements that OP WOULD be covered.
The wall is/was 5ft roughly,

Danielle xx
Megsy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2013, 08:23 PM
When I had a similar thing, the questions I was asked were:

How long have you had the dog?
Has the dog done this before?
What measures have you got in place to keep your dog secure?
Does the dog have any history of this sort of behaviour either with you or any previous owner?

Put all this in your appeal to demonstrate the freak nature of the accident.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 08:26 PM
The wall is/was 5ft roughly,

Danielle xx
I think a healthy GSD would have no problem whatsoever getting over a 5ft barrier if they were determined to do so.

I had 6ft wooden fencing round my garden with my GSD and put trellis at the top as she had no problems scaling it - it had the cross bar midway and she'd get her back legs on that and sort of 'hang over' the top and just look up and down the lane sometimes - scaring the wotsits out of anyone walking past as it made it look as if she was tall enough to just be 'leaning on it'!

I saw the fence as her 'limit' not something that would necessarily stop her getting out. When my fence blew down in the gales in 1987 she treated the place where it used to be as if it was an invisible force field and wouldn't cross over it! (Bit lucky for me that!)

Don't GSDs in agility scale fences higher than 5ft? Anyway I know from my own personal experience they can get over fences higher than your wall was. But then you obviously didn't have the previous personal experience to know that.

6ft was the maximum height allowed for fences wherever I lived in UK. But you were allowed to add a bit of 'trellis' to that.
harley quinn
New Member!
Female 

26-06-2013, 09:23 PM
I think a healthy GSD would have no problem whatsoever getting over a 5ft barrier if they were determined to do so.

I had 6ft wooden fencing round my garden with my GSD and put trellis at the top as she had no problems scaling it - it had the cross bar midway and she'd get her back legs on that and sort of 'hang over' the top and just look up and down the lane sometimes - scaring the wotsits out of anyone walking past as it made it look as if she was tall enough to just be 'leaning on it'!

I saw the fence as her 'limit' not something that would necessarily stop her getting out. When my fence blew down in the gales in 1987 she treated the place where it used to be as if it was an invisible force field and wouldn't cross over it! (Bit lucky for me that!)

Don't GSDs in agility scale fences higher than 5ft? Anyway I know from my own personal experience they can get over fences higher than your wall was. But then you obviously didn't have the previous personal experience to know that.

6ft was the maximum height allowed for fences wherever I lived in UK. But you were allowed to add a bit of 'trellis' to that.
I have no idea how high my dobermann can jump, due to the fact that none of them have jumped before, if i had any knowledge or experience then yes i could be in the wrong. In my defense i believed with the wall, and the fact she was supervised was reasonable.
My insurance policy doesn't specify a wall height, so what would be classed as reasonable? surely it would be open to debate?

Danielle xx
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-06-2013, 09:45 PM
I have no idea how high my dobermann can jump, due to the fact that none of them have jumped before, if i had any knowledge or experience then yes i could be in the wrong. In my defense i believed with the wall, and the fact she was supervised was reasonable.
My insurance policy doesn't specify a wall height, so what would be classed as reasonable? surely it would be open to debate?

Danielle xx
Exactly my question from earlier Danielle.If insurance policies don't specify a wall height,what is classed as reasonable?wasn't smart enough to word it as good as you
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Exactly my question from earlier Danielle.If insurance policies don't specify a wall height,what is classed as reasonable?wasn't smart enough to word it as good as you
They don't have to specify - you can't expect them to cover every size and type of dog! The onus is on you to make sure it's high enough.

Not in agility - it's 2ft and they are expected to clear it. In working trials it's much higher and they scramble over it.
Page 9 of 13 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »