Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
A Malinois is more suited to the environmental conditions in South Africa and of course they do not just track, unlike Bloodhounds!
Yes I understood that, but it was the fact they said that the Mali can track faster than a bloodhound that I wondered about. As has been said, probably due to the fact they are a smaller, more athletic animal.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I thought the Mali's in the programme were gorgeous. They were clearly very hard working dogs with great social temperaments. Just how working dogs should be.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Only watched the first 20 minutes or so and very disappointed in the BBC for airing this piece of crap.
  • Choke chains - being yanked HARD (I bet the prongs were hidden - or might appear later?)
  • Pack leader macho talk nonsense
  • And the two total idiot owners taking part

Big thumbs down from me - maybe I'll change my mind if I watch more of it later.
The voice over described the dogs in Africa as being the "dangerous" ?????? They were doing what they had been trained to do.

Only watched a few minutes couldn't stand the guy banging on about being the pack leader etc etc etc
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Same here At least the programme makers had the sensitivity to point out that choke chains are not considered suitable in Britain, and if the South African trainer used any other more aversive means to train his dogs, we weren't shown it. Whew.

I loved seeing those Malis work - I also loved seeing how the kids slowly cottoned on to the idea that they could really work with dogs as a human/canine team.... something that would never have occurred to them otherwise.

They seemed so dislocated from the working dogs (as with their own 'pets') but when the penny dropped it was great to see.... One moment when the dog looked up at its handler asking a question, I thought That's it! You got it!

There was someone in this household who probably enjoyed it more than me... She was transfixed for most of the hour (probably more of her kin than she's seen in a long time!), and this was when they were doing the bitework...

Looking forward to next week's but I think it's going to be a tough call..... The kids are sent to a very busy and distressing shelter in Australia.
Dylan sat and watched this as well !
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I didn't have a problem with them showing the use of check chains etc, as that is how this guy trains his dogs - and it wouldn't do the programme justice to hide such things.

Just because we don't always agree with things, doesn't mean we should turn a blind eye to them or pretend they don't happen?
I didn't say a thing about turning a blind eye, or pretending things don't happen.

I just don't see the point in advising people against something, but then showing it anyway...

It just shows the programme is purely for entertainment.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The voice over described the dogs in Africa as being the "dangerous" ?????? They were doing what they had been trained to do.

Only watched a few minutes couldn't stand the guy banging on about being the pack leader etc etc etc
Yeah, I think he irritated me the most - more than the 'contestants'

Cos he should have known better.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Just watched it on the iPlayer.

Not a fan of the yanking of the choke chains, but arguably there are some cultural differences and I think the trainers heart is ultimately in the right place.

Thought the guy with the Staffie was a total plonker. Letting it loose on a train track, road (narrowly being hit by a bus) and run into a school...so selfish and dangerous. He did improve as the program went on though and hopefully he has seen the error in his stupid ways.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 03:45 PM
He used "Pack leader" but he probably used the word "Boss" more. Call it what you want - to do that sort of job I imagine you'd need to be the one in charge/control - and my own dog has probably given himself a firmer jerk by spotting a feline when I didn't.

Dogs also looked happy, well trained and enthusiastic and not beyond playing up the Newbie
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Tbh, I quite enjoyed it and will continue to watch the series until I don't or it ends. At the end of the day, both participants are better dog owners with safer, happier dogs.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 04:44 PM
I also liked the fact that he mentioned building up a relationship with the dog before expecting them to obey you "just cos" and when to really praise them when they get it right (the dogs that is) and how to use your voice when needed. learning to read your dog, how important a leash is for safety.

Tbh although not a big "yank 'em" fan I do think the guy had a balance and that there were lots of positives too.
Page 9 of 43 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »