View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Thanks Elaine, always there with your support, and I've needed a lot of that of late haven't I! xxxxxx

One day at a time June, she needs this kibble to slow down that growth (apparently! ) Funny how dogs in the wild just grow right anyway and yet they don't get special kibble to slow down their growth do they??!!!! I think when I've just got Zena and she's an adult, I will be switching, I've always liked the thought of doing it, and I remember our very first gsd when I was only a kid of 10, he used to get thrown a bag of raw meat every night and he NEVER went to the vets!!!!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
As a Raw Feeder, I have to say it.....Ditch The Kibble!!!! Feed the chicken raw along with turkey necks, landywoods best mince beef, turkey wings, pureed veg, and she will be fine!!!

Runs and Hides........
yes run tawneywolf run
goodevening helena54 and zena.x
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-07-2009, 08:12 PM
You are correct in that Mrs Wolf does not go into her cupboard and bring out a bag of kibble for her babies
Kibble actually contains carbs, which dogs are not equipped to deal with, hence the fact that some dogs cannot cope with it
As you know my girlies come from 5 generations of raw fed dogs, that is raw fed from the minute they go onto solids and my 2 grew slowly, because that is what raw feeding is all about, they do not grow too fast. They did not finish growing until they were 3, when all of a sudden I noticed they were growing outwards and looking a trifle porky Despite the amount of activity they do, they do extremely well now on half the amount they were eating as pups. I cannot recommend the regime enough, mine have only ever had one tummy upset ever, when they were just 1 year old on their first Christmas Day, so they had bio yogurt and a homeopathic remedy until I was able to get them to the vets the day after Boxing Day. That is the full sum of their veterinary visits apart from the yearly vax and health checks. It could well have been the cow pats, it may well have been the old bones, but many dogs bury their bones and only dig them up to enjoy them when they are a tadge high!! The only thing I can think of re the cow pats, I know horse droppings can sometimes cause tummy upsets in dogs when they are eaten because there has been a wormer used, wonder if the cows had been administered with some sort of herd meds or something?? My vet actually said to me at the time the girlies had tummy upsets that it could well have been wormer in the horse droppings, which Lona still enjoys despite the guilty looks she gives me, as she knows it is 'norty'!!!
Hope Zena has now turned the corner and tomorrow she is back into kissy and cuddle mode, Norties look forward to a lengthy chat about her experiences when she is feeling better
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

07-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Aw Helena I do hope you get good results. What a worrying time for you - and your purse!! I would claim for Georgie no matter how little, better in your purse than the insurers!!

I hope the meds kick in now and Zena has taken hers.

Good job you acted so quickly Helena.

Cows pat is bad!! I am always fearful of Loki eating it when we are up at the field. Fortunately, the field isn't used that much by the cows!

Hugs and cuddles to Zena and Georgie from me, Loki, PJ and Soochie xxxx

Take care.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
yes run tawneywolf run
goodevening helena54 and zena.x
Good morning Tupacs2legs, I bring good news today!

Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You are correct in that Mrs Wolf does not go into her cupboard and bring out a bag of kibble for her babies
Kibble actually contains carbs, which dogs are not equipped to deal with, hence the fact that some dogs cannot cope with it
As you know my girlies come from 5 generations of raw fed dogs, that is raw fed from the minute they go onto solids and my 2 grew slowly, because that is what raw feeding is all about, they do not grow too fast. They did not finish growing until they were 3, when all of a sudden I noticed they were growing outwards and looking a trifle porky Despite the amount of activity they do, they do extremely well now on half the amount they were eating as pups. I cannot recommend the regime enough, mine have only ever had one tummy upset ever, when they were just 1 year old on their first Christmas Day, so they had bio yogurt and a homeopathic remedy until I was able to get them to the vets the day after Boxing Day. That is the full sum of their veterinary visits apart from the yearly vax and health checks. It could well have been the cow pats, it may well have been the old bones, but many dogs bury their bones and only dig them up to enjoy them when they are a tadge high!! The only thing I can think of re the cow pats, I know horse droppings can sometimes cause tummy upsets in dogs when they are eaten because there has been a wormer used, wonder if the cows had been administered with some sort of herd meds or something?? My vet actually said to me at the time the girlies had tummy upsets that it could well have been wormer in the horse droppings, which Lona still enjoys despite the guilty looks she gives me, as she knows it is 'norty'!!!
Hope Zena has now turned the corner and tomorrow she is back into kissy and cuddle mode, Norties look forward to a lengthy chat about her experiences when she is feeling better

Lol, I think they've already been chatting June, coz Zena jumped out of the car window this morning Thankfully the car was stationary, but silly mummy pressed the wrong button when we arrived at the carpark, and I couldn't bring the window back UP coz she was already hanging out of it, before I could leap out of the car, but is was too late, she had already landed!!! She's fine, but that is not what I want her to do at this tender age is it!!!

Originally Posted by Brandykins View Post
Aw Helena I do hope you get good results. What a worrying time for you - and your purse!! I would claim for Georgie no matter how little, better in your purse than the insurers!!

I hope the meds kick in now and Zena has taken hers.

Good job you acted so quickly Helena.

Cows pat is bad!! I am always fearful of Loki eating it when we are up at the field. Fortunately, the field isn't used that much by the cows!

Hugs and cuddles to Zena and Georgie from me, Loki, PJ and Soochie xxxx

Take care.
Yes, I thought it might not be too good Rose, but she ate a big chunk of it before I could stop her These are wild cattle allowed to roam up on Cissbury Hill, they're not farm type cows, so I would imagine apart from the nasties they might be carrying, I would be safe from any wormers or ab's but you just never know!

Now, I have very good news to report today! Zena's first poo of the day was lovely and big, lovely and dark, and fully formed!!!!!! I was ecstatic and Dave firmly believes I need help when he saw me running back indoors! Georgie's although firm is still very yellow, but I'm about to give them lunch with the 2nd dose of Panacur (well, it's not actually Panacur I just noticed on the packets, it's called Granofen, so I'm gonna have to look that up!).

Both are fine in themselves, and Zena is really back to her old self, and I should imagine this might have been going on for a couple of weeks, and probably came to a head at the end of last week. Still no results back from the vet, I thought I might have heard about the Giardia by now coz she said that would be pretty quick?!

We've just been on a glorious 2nd walk of the day, sun is shining but it's not hot, it's quite cloudy on and off, but I took Georgie which I never normally do on the 2nd one, but he seemed to want to join us and although quite puffed out, I'm sure it did him good! Don't know if I told you but he has lost the grand sum of 5 kgs in a month so a big pat on the back for me the vet said! Only another 10 to go and he'll be spot on a 45 for the onslought of Zena at around one year old! Bless his heart
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Great news babe, I'm soooo glad they seem to be okay now and are over the wose.

Big Hugs all round

x x x x x x x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks Shane, I'm gonna be paranoid about giving them 2 more wormers now that they seem so much better, I'd hate for them to go back downhill by something I have caused, but it must be safe to do this, otherwise the vet wouldn't have prescribed it, but 8 months is so young to shove all this into them isn't it! Hey ho, I'll bite the bullet and do it in half an hour when they've finished their little kip! xxxxxxxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Good morning Tupacs2legs, I bring good news today!

[/B]

Lol, I think they've already been chatting June, coz Zena jumped out of the car window this morning Thankfully the car was stationary, but silly mummy pressed the wrong button when we arrived at the carpark, and I couldn't bring the window back UP coz she was already hanging out of it, before I could leap out of the car, but is was too late, she had already landed!!! She's fine, but that is not what I want her to do at this tender age is it!!!

Yes, I thought it might not be too good Rose, but she ate a big chunk of it before I could stop her These are wild cattle allowed to roam up on Cissbury Hill, they're not farm type cows, so I would imagine apart from the nasties they might be carrying, I would be safe from any wormers or ab's but you just never know!

Now, I have very good news to report today! Zena's first poo of the day was lovely and big, lovely and dark, and fully formed!!!!!! I was ecstatic and Dave firmly believes I need help when he saw me running back indoors! Georgie's although firm is still very yellow, but I'm about to give them lunch with the 2nd dose of Panacur (well, it's not actually Panacur I just noticed on the packets, it's called Granofen, so I'm gonna have to look that up!).

Both are fine in themselves, and Zena is really back to her old self, and I should imagine this might have been going on for a couple of weeks, and probably came to a head at the end of last week. Still no results back from the vet, I thought I might have heard about the Giardia by now coz she said that would be pretty quick?!

We've just been on a glorious 2nd walk of the day, sun is shining but it's not hot, it's quite cloudy on and off, but I took Georgie which I never normally do on the 2nd one, but he seemed to want to join us and although quite puffed out, I'm sure it did him good! Don't know if I told you but he has lost the grand sum of 5 kgs in a month so a big pat on the back for me the vet said! Only another 10 to go and he'll be spot on a 45 for the onslought of Zena at around one year old! Bless his heart
you are the bringer of 'great news's
granofen is just a different brand name,dont worry.im not sure why the giardia test is taking so long,we do ours inhouse! but to be fair its best to worm her as if just to cover all basis. i too am one of those strange people that examine poo woo-woos to zena and a hug to you
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Shane, I'm gonna be paranoid about giving them 2 more wormers now that they seem so much better, I'd hate for them to go back downhill by something I have caused, but it must be safe to do this, otherwise the vet wouldn't have prescribed it, but 8 months is so young to shove all this into them isn't it! Hey ho, I'll bite the bullet and do it in half an hour when they've finished their little kip! xxxxxxxx
helena worming is very safe,you cant prevent them ,all you are doing is treating the worm burden at that time.the protozoa and parasites cause much more dammage than the wormers will.please dont worry.x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Well in that case, I will ring them and see what they have for me, coz this is an RCVS Hospital, so they must do them in-house surely? Can't wait!!! I told the vet on Saturday I had strong suspiscions that it was Giardia and she agreed, so why oh why didn't she just prescribe me these Panacur wormers along with the ab's and we could have saved more trauma until Tuesday when I had to revisit with those samples! Woo's woo's duly passed on thanks and thanks for my hugs

2nd dose just gone in then! I have a knack with these granules now. They get mixed with goat's yoghurt, then mixed into the cooked fish and mash and it's gone in 60 seconds or less! Perfect! There I was, thinking this is going to be a nightmare the same as the ab's but strangely not so! Perfect!
Page 9 of 15 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »