View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 08:42 PM
I am not a catholic, but I did enjoy seeing the Pope come here today, Id like to think he were treated with the same respect our head of the CofE (Queen) is when she visits other countries, they pay for her on her "official" visits too!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2010, 09:27 PM
the queen is invited as head of state not head of church.

personally, i dont think the pope should be invited as head of state

regardless of whom this pope is, the whole notion and concept of a pope is just rediculous anyway!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

regardless of whom this pope is, the whole notion and concept of a pope is just rediculous anyway!
In your opinion, I happen to like him and that he is here.

Regardless of "invitation" she IS the head of the church of England, and because of that and her being a monarch is paid for by the countries she visits and by us of course.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2010, 09:44 PM
i know what she is, but her trips abroad are as head of state, not head of church.

ditto this pope's trip.

so thats why we should pay for it.

and therefore why he should have come as head of church.

im not concerned whom the pope is, i think the position itself is odd and rediculous, even within christianity.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Now this is just what drives me insane! Why should you have to play this silly game just to get your daughter into your local school? Apparently studies of the demographics of church attendance show time and again a spike in attendence by families with kids about to start school or go to high school. It's so obvious what is happening!!! Is this what those churches want? People going through the motions of faith solely to get their kid into a school?

And why are church schools often higher achieving? Because they get to select their intake!!! Argh! Give me strength!

And why should they get to discriminate against my kids just because they have honest atheist parents??? For all they know my kids could be raging theists ... which they probably will be when they are teenagers just to press my buttons.

My son is in Year 6, can you tell? This is an especially sore point for me right now.

J.
Because they are voluntary aided schools - which means the families contribute towards the buildings costs - and so are able to employ their own admission rules and since they are of a faith, they are entitled to decide that children of that faith should have the right to be educated in an establishment that teaches and practices that faith.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post

I thought that he was invited as a head of state by the previous Government and Queen, not head of Church.

The fact that you find the concept of Pope" ridiculous" is pretty irrelevant. All religions have a 'leader'.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2010, 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I thought that he was invited as a head of state by the previous Government and Queen, not head of Church.

thats what i just said

The fact that you find the concept of Pope" ridiculous" is pretty irrelevant. All religions have a 'leader'.
true, and they all possess their own levels of rediculousness.
the pope trumps them though, as the word is he actually 'god on earth'.
hence why you have the spectacle of some funny little man walking around like a deity.

you dont quite get that with the archbishop of canterbury.
even from a christian point of view the position of something called a pope is very strange indeed
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-09-2010, 06:16 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
If you are not interested, just say no, what's wrong with that? If they persist then ignore them, shut the door, walk on by, but just say no thanks, end of. They are only people.

At the end of the day, whether it is real, or misguided or they are totally delusional and you think they would be better off in a padded room with their hands tied behind their backs, they have found and believe in a sense of overwhelming and unconditional love, strength and security within their lives and misguided or not, it will no doubt have helped them overcome life's various difficulties, illness, bereavement, depression, hopelessness, heartbreak, insecurity, loneliness and the reason they are knocking on your door, or stopping you in the street, is because they want to share that with you. They don't want you to feel alone in times of need, as merely a fellow human being, despite all you may/may not have done in your life, they don't want you to struggle or be sad.

Now you might think they are trying to brainwash you, you are entitled to think what you want, and believe what you want, as are they, but just remember, whatever they believe and however wrong, misguided or totally insane you may think they are, they are just people, like you and me. They have families and jobs and pets and hearts.

And no, I don't believe in this overly 'evangelical outreach', I roll my eyes when they knock at my door, or are shouting verses from the Bible in the street but I don't judge. I just say no thank you, and carry on.

*steps off soapbox and awaits the obligatory stoning*
great post

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t see that they are forcing people to become members of their faith. No more than double glazing salesmen or Avon ladies. We have the benefit of choice. Be grateful for it. In some countries you don`t get choice.
exactly!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Because they are voluntary aided schools - which means the families contribute towards the buildings costs - and so are able to employ their own admission rules and since they are of a faith, they are entitled to decide that children of that faith should have the right to be educated in an establishment that teaches and practices that faith.
Actually the church/families contribute a very small percentage of the costs the rest being funded by our taxes.

So this relatively insignificant contribution means they have a disproportionate amount of control and are allowed to discriminate against children on the grounds of their parent's faith/religion/lack of it? And this is fair and equitable how?

Also they are a divisive force in communities, how does it help communities to work when all the kids are segregated on grounds of religion. See how well that's worked in Northern Ireland.

I very strongly believe that you do not have the right to expect the State to pay for your (I mean anyone's, not aiming this at any individual or any particular faith) child's religious education, that should be a personal matter for the home. Church and State need to be separate, especially in education.

J.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Now this is just what drives me insane! Why should you have to play this silly game just to get your daughter into your local school? Apparently studies of the demographics of church attendance show time and again a spike in attendence by families with kids about to start school or go to high school. It's so obvious what is happening!!! Is this what those churches want? People going through the motions of faith solely to get their kid into a school?

And why are church schools often higher achieving? Because they get to select their intake!!! Argh! Give me strength!

And why should they get to discriminate against my kids just because they have honest atheist parents??? For all they know my kids could be raging theists ... which they probably will be when they are teenagers just to press my buttons.

My son is in Year 6, can you tell? This is an especially sore point for me right now.

J.
Totally agree, when my brother went into year 7 he went to the local faith school, though back then, all my parents had to say was that they were believers and that was it, they didn't have to prove it I don't think. Think that may have changed now though. The fact that parents have to lie to get their kids into a school with good results, is imo a infuriating disgrace.

Btw, he's not religious in the slightest, he thinks its as much a load of crap as I do, one of the few things we actually agree on.
Page 9 of 20 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »