Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-01-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Wow, I had no idea there was such a range. Makes sense about the working colours but a shame with so many colours to choose from that they are not all represented in the show ring.

Interesting - wasn't quite what I was expecting I thought I would really like the liver & tan, but I'm not sure - it almost looks like someone has tried to die the coat and the black is still coming through!

Some people do show the blues and blacks but they have to be really good to do anything in the show ring.

Just an example of whippet colours I have

Angel is black brindle
Owen, Tegan and their daughter Jude are fawn brindle
Bandit is Orange brindle parti colour (white with brindle patches)
Freyja is Blue brindle parti
you can also get red brindle, silver brindle all of these come with a white trim or as a solid colour. It is a night mare when trying to decide what colour pups are to register them especially as they do change colour as they get older up to about 6 months
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Found it - here's an interesting site showing both liver/tan and the tri-colour - the liver / tan is quite lovely when they are pups but agree Hali it does look like its been dyed - not at all sure about the tri-Gordon even though that's what they originally were! Also the pictures show European Gordons so very different in shape.
that was so interesting, thanks The liver & tans in those photos looks more like I was imagining, but as you say, they are pups and perhaps the coat changes when the grow up. I quite like the thr-colours, wonder why the white was bred out?

Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
you can also get red brindle, silver brindle all of these come with a white trim or as a solid colour. It is a night mare when trying to decide what colour pups are to register them especially as they do change colour as they get older up to about 6 months
never thouht of that - it does sound a bit of a nightmare!
Irish Setter Mu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2009, 09:21 AM
Found it - here's an interesting site showing both liver/tan and the tri-colour - the liver / tan is quite lovely when they are pups but agree Hali it does look like its been dyed - not at all sure about the tri-Gordon even though that's what they originally were! Also the pictures show European Gordons so very different in shape.

http://www.gambitgordons.net/Gordon%...y%20Colors.htm
Thanks for that - really interesting - love the puppies they look so cute
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Just another note on the liver and tan then I will be quiet on that point LOL well will try to be - it was mentioned before but from what I remember the texture on the liver/tan is very different to that of the black/tan too - alot coarser/harsher than the black.

Will see if can find out why the white was bred out - possibly just the way the genetics went?

Thought it might be good to discuss the English colourings too.

Taken from the KC site:

Colour
Black and white (blue belton), orange and white (orange belton), lemon and white (lemon belton), liver and white (liver belton) or tricolour, that is blue belton and tan or liver belton and tan, those without heavy patches of colour on body but flecked (belton) all over preferred.

At an Open show I saw a bitch take BOB with a heavy patch on her body - one of the other exhibitors was whinging like mad that it was a fault and shouldn't be placed. But it doesn't really say that in the standard looking above?

You don't really see the liver belton or lemon belton much really now - certainly not at shows. But I like the lemon belton too.

Piccies to follow when I can find them!!! Sheree you got any stashed away?

Liver Belton - can't find any pics anywhere so far!

Tri-colour

Blue Belton (Sheree's fave )

Will let her post pic of her special boy!

Orange Belton (my fave colour have to say!)

Lemon Belton (which I must admit don't think are as common but I quite like!)

Can't find pics so far!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Rach

Here's some of my gang:

Fabian (dark tri) and my fave colour, plus this is my favourite photo of him which is why I'm always posting it on here

Leon & Bradley (blue belton)

With regards to the liver belton or lemon beltonI haven't actually ever seen one in the flesh, from memory there is a reason that they aren't "desirable" in the show ring, I think it has something to do with the eye colour or pigmentation. Some breeders have occasionally registered pale orange beltons as liver beltons but I think they have been criticised for just trying to sell something a bit rare...I don't think you'd find one of the top breeders registering anything as liver or lemon belton
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Hi Rach

Here's some of my gang:

Fabian (dark tri) and my fave colour, plus this is my favourite photo of him which is why I'm always posting it on here

Leon & Bradley (blue belton)

With regards to the liver belton or lemon beltonI haven't actually ever seen one in the flesh, from memory there is a reason that they aren't "desirable" in the show ring, I think it has something to do with the eye colour or pigmentation. Some breeders have occasionally registered pale orange beltons as liver beltons but I think they have been criticised for just trying to sell something a bit rare...I don't think you'd find one of the top breeders registering anything as liver or lemon belton
Oops sorry thought it was the blue that was your fave - knew it was Leon though LOL! doh!

Thanks for posting the pics - do love the tri still Jazzy was just gorgeous no digital pics sadly though.

Ah that would make sense re: the eye colouring I guess - it only really occurred to me when doing the post on the colours how rare they are/almost extinct you could say - there are some pale orange pics on the web for sure but they definitely aren't lemon! and no liver belton at all - would be interested to this colouring though!
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-01-2009, 06:39 PM
I really like the look of the dark tri english setters. It's no wonder you keep posting that pic of Fabian - he's stunning, and such an expression on him!
cambkite
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-01-2009, 10:36 PM

http://www.gambitgordons.net/Gordon%...y%20Colors.htm
I'm glad you posted this. I remember seeing a tri-Gordon at a field trial in the early 80's but was beginning to wonder if I imagined it. I remember it as being quite a handsome dog.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-01-2009, 03:42 PM
hey guys ,iv got dogos and they get there white coats from the mix of great perioniess
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Interesting thread.

I like black dogs so I chose a black Miniature Schnauzer, an acceptable colour but less common that the salt and pepper.

Interestingly Affenpinschers in the UK have to be black, the American Kennel Club by contrast say...
Black, gray, silver, red, black and tan, or belge are all acceptable. Blacks may have a rusty cast or a few white or silver hairs mixed with the black. Reds may vary from a brownish red to an orangey tan. Belge has black, brown, and/or white hairs mixed with the red. With various colors, the furnishings may be a bit lighter. Some dogs may have black masks. A small white spot on the chest is not penalized, but large white patches are undesirable. Color is not a major consideration. [my emphasis]
Now although I prefer the black I can't help thinking it would widen the gene pool in Affens (no bad thing for any pedigre dog) if other colours were permitted here.

J
Page 8 of 9 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 >