Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
so when a little girl is mauled and disfigured by the dog the owers recieve a bo**ocking - and? its too late - so from a breed that is aknown killer - pit bull - it should be destroye d before it does anything......

Ok - why were pit bulls banned??? your telling me collies are as bad - dont make me laugh

a pit can do far more damage to someone/thing than a collie can because of their build and power

Of course every breed has the potential to cause damage - theres not douby of that - but its the extent of damage that the breed causes

You do a line up of pits x's and staffys and i could point out a pit - easily - poliece need to be better trained and be allowed to have the authority to seaze and destroy a dog they think is a pit
Think isn't good enough Suze.Why put an innocent dog to sleep because it might bite.The same can be said for every single dog of every breed.
I know lets ban all cars because they kill more kids than dogs do every year.Lets ban all Drivers under the age of 25 as they pose more of a risk and cause more accidents than others of a different age group.
Sound pathetic,so whats the difference?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
By banning something i.e the Pitt it makes it more apealing to the wrong sort.It drives people underground,breeding indiscriminatly which makes these dogs even more unpredictable,it's harder for the authorities to flush out these people.As for reducing attacks would it,I'm not so sure.A breed that was banned killed a little girl the begining of the year,will it be the last attack by that breed on a child,Sadly I very much doubt it.
Yes I know Sal, but the "wrong" sorts, you mean scum dog fighters? I say again, when was the last time you heard of a FIGHTING PB responsible for an attack on a human?
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I know Sal, but the "wrong" sorts, you mean scum dog fighters? I say again, when was the last time you heard of a FIGHTING PB responsible for an attack on a human?
You got me there Dawn,without researching I wouldn't have a clue.But these people wouldn't tell you it was a fighting pitbull would they.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 12:46 PM
We'd see the evidence for ourselves. Dog fighters are very careful, they cant have dogs that bite people, I dont think these are the dogs we see on the streets, which is more worrying really, because they are probably bred in homes from "pets"

The PB is a breed I have always liked, I love Staffies, always have, but I am concerned for the severity and increase in these attacks. I dont want to see dogs wiped out anymore than you do, but I cant see a way forward with these things happening more and more frequently.

I agree its down to irresponsible ownership in many cases, but not all, and when you read "pets" who have previously showed no signs of aggression before, KILLING people, it makes you wonder whether these dogs are suited to family life for the most part.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 01:03 PM
sal - you cant keep comparing these dogs to differnet breeds theya re too differnt!!

as for driving - the limit should be higher - younng drivers LIKE MYSELF are classed asa liability and imo i think people should be 25 before they can drive (and i passed at 17 and yes i think im far too young to be driving) having siad that i have never smashed up my car *touches wood* or had a bump

back on topic

pits- bred to fight - therefore the instinct is still there - did you read the post a while ago about a dog that was trained by a highly skilled trainer - and never showed signs of aggresion for years - etc fine with dogs, people kids etc - and then one dag for no reason whatsoever it atttacked this dog - leaped over a fence and ripped it to shreds - why???? because at the end of the day thats what they are designed to do!!!!!!!!

like colllies - you cant breed the instrinct to heard out of them - collies are bred to heard - thats their job!! e.g - our pup nick years ago was bought - never ever seen sheep in his life - never taught to heard, when he was a pup he hearded things!!!! he hasnt really grown out of it and he's now 11!!!!!

why do certain breeds of dogs chase birds?? gundogs?? ive seen spaniels chase birds and then a i dont know,,, germanshepherd not...... why??? because spaniels have that instinct

why does the police use shepherds as their MAIN police dogs - ????? becauase they have something about them that gives them the drive ....!!!! so they pick up on that - same with pits again - they have something in their blood that you cant breed out that makes them fight!!!!!!

certain types of dogs - some hounds etc - cant be let off their leads etc - why?? because their desire to chase is too strong...!!!!!!!! can you teach them otherwise??? no!!!! but good luck trying!!!!!

terriers!! what is their obsession with chasing things small?? their instinct

am i making my point?????????? no matter what you say - at the end of the day the pit has a natural instinct to fight - it may be ok with a kid or dog for years/months then suddenly turn on them....
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I'm surprised that this question would even be raised by someone in the UK. Surely, this past decade or so with the DDA has taught you something?

If you outlaw the breed, it makes that breed all the more appealing to the sort of people who would own a marauding aggressive pitbull to begin with. The pitbull is hugely popular, in the U.S. and all over the world. You aren't going to be able to put a breed to extinction that 1) isn't even a breed and 2) is so hugely popular with both the general population and the seedy underbelly of society (to wit, since when has said seedy underbelly cared or conformed to any law?)

Not all Pitbulls bite, not all pitbulls attack humans OR dogs. In fact, the vast majority of all pitbulls are big soft lumps of dogs. I'd pick a pitbull temperment over a labradors anyday. I work with pits EVERYDAY. Unlike most of you, I actually know first hand what a pitbull is really like. They aren't the monsters the media make them out to be. A very small percentage of these dogs attack and kill, so for the .01% of dogs that go bad, you would kill off the entire breed?

A Siberian Tiger attacked and killed someone at a Zoo this week? Should be wipe the Siberian Tiger off the face of the planet now? Surely, if it takes a human life, the supreme being, then it has no RIGHT to life of its own (Insert sarcastic smiley here). Please. In the U.S. most violent crimes are committed by black people (according to your precious statistics) So by your logic, we should eliminate the black race from the planet, to save some lives and make people feel safer in the world? What about terrorists. Many Terrorists who have killed lots of innocent people are of middle Eastern decent. Perhaps we should just perpetrate genocide in that part of the world, for the good of the whole you know. I would hope you agree that those anhialating an entire race of people is a bit extreme. Is what you propose any different? I think not. Destroying the pit bull as a breed is like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Not only is the idea of totally breeding out the pit bull ridiculous, its impossible. Face facts, the pit bull is here to stay. The very idea of this is nothing more than a cheap ploy by someone with nothing better to do, than start an argument on a dog forum. Now lets have a truly important discussion about how to best address the problem of irresponsible and negligent animal husbandry in the world.

exactly my thoughts!!!!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Suze it's seems we are going around in circles.

From what I can make out you don't fully understand the APBT or the legislation that was introduced in 1991.Dogs give off signals before attacking,it's us that don't recognise them.

As I said before my son was attacked by a Bullmastiff,doing a tremendous amount of damage,I believe this breed is just as capable of doing as much damage as the pitt,so sorry yes I can compare and it's us as humans that have made these dogs what they are.
The biggest problem humans,NOT Dogs!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 01:17 PM
well sal i think we should agree to disagree cos i dont want to fall out
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 01:18 PM
The biggest problem humans,NOT Dogs!
Yes I agree, but perhaps its up to us humans to rectify the mistakes we have made?
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Yes I agree, but perhaps its up to us humans to rectify the mistakes we have made?
in that case exterminate chavs!
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 37 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »