View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 02:15 PM
But I could be doing thse people a disservice in that when I've seen them, perhaps it's just a quick stretch of the legs at lunchtime & they do other things as well.

You well may!

Can't speak for others but I generally find that I am not followed around by people at all the places I exercise my dogs at, so for example, whilst certain people in a particular location may see me doing this, they are not at the lakes where I swim my dogs, not on the airfield where I bike them, not at the fields where I track them etc etc
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
But I could be doing thse people a disservice in that when I've seen them, perhaps it's just a quick stretch of the legs at lunchtime & they do other things as well.

You well may!

Can't speak for others but I generally find that I am not followed around by people at all the places I exercise my dogs at, so for example, whilst certain people in a particular location may see me doing this, they are not at the lakes where I swim my dogs, not on the airfield where I bike them, not at the fields where I track them etc etc
Fair enough Sounds like your dogs have a great time
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
To add

With the BD fox scenario I was talking about my terriers reactions, not collies.

I have to say while my dogs do chase sticks/balls ect they do have a lot more enthusiasm for chasing real stuff (usually foxes)

Re what SB says. I have certainly found that if you have a dog that chases balls and (Insert inappropriate prey item here) when you stop its chasing of the wrong thing its ball drive (if you will) increases.

Whats the story with working dogs then? Do they loose ball drive the more they work sheep, retrieve birds ect.
Adam
It is an individual thing with ours. Some of the working collies will chase a ball as well as work sheep (but not at the same time ) but some just aren't interested in going after a ball - then others enjoy going after the dog going after the ball iyswim. I think it is an individual thing - just as some dogs have a very high prey drive, some have little. I would imagine the breed of dog plays a part in that, as well as the dog's individual character.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Do you think she would work sheep?
No i shouldnt think so, too scatty. & not drivey in that way, but then shes not bred fot thaT

With mav, bloody good training! Id still like him stronger
its on going. mainley work on his drive in short bursts, he could never do a hour HW training, where as zo gets better the more she does.

His training is a mix of Op conditioning, food reward, play reward, bit of hands on-bit of hands off, bit of stupidity, & lead use
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Dawes Paws View Post
No nothing to do with racing the other dog she is just as psychotic when training alone
ahh bless, sounds lush!

let me know if you go to any ob shows with her
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post

IMO the use of toys is effectively a substitute for predatory behaviour allowing the dog to act out normal instincts, but through learning, the dog continues to perform parts of the sequence, getting rewards from owners/trainers or from the internal drive mechanisms being satisfied.
indeed.

thats why chasing a ball or any game is exciting, as a satisfied prey drive is the well spring of emotion.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Daisy will chase the ball not the rabbit. Because she`s learned that ballie is rewarding and hasn`t learned that with rabbits.
tbh I`ve never heard of the expression `ball drive` before. I thought it was about motivation and channeling instincts.
I doubt a dog has a `ball drive` tbh.
I can understand that prey drive is there because that is linked to survival. I don`t really see how a ball provokes a `drive`. Unless it is substitute for prey.
indeed again, my point to...their isnt a ball drive anymore than their is a flyball drive or ragger drive or play biting my arms drive, its just prey drive
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-02-2011, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
If for instance i throw a ball with the ball chucker - which will go a good distance & at the same time a rabbit breaks cover, what does it say about the dog that chases the ball & not the rabbit
that you have trained your dog so well that you have heightened the prey drive attraction of a ball so much so that it overrides the prey drive attraction of a rabbit.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 06:04 PM
those of us who do manwork do a similar thing, call the dog off a running man for the ball............

Although I would not say the ball is of a higher reward, but we have taught the dog to accept that instead of.

A bit like training, my dog would prefer the ball but sometimes he gets food instead and will accept it in lieu of the ball.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
those of us who do manwork do a similar thing, call the dog off a running man for the ball............
very true
(Idont do manwork,but my "old man"has run crim many time0
Page 8 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >