Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Yes I agree. I have two german shepherds who are very vocal at my fence but if anyone came in the gate (which they won't as it's always padlocked) they wouldn't attack them. If I thought for one moment that I had a dog that would attack somebody even on my premises I would put the dog to sleep myself.

My dogs would not attack either were someone to enter our premises, because they are not guard dogs. However, were I to have guard dogs, as our next door neighbours do (GSDs), and despite all the locks and warnings someone entered the property and was attacked, then tough titty. Shepherd dogs in particular have a very strong guarding INSTINCT, and whereas I would hope that next door's dogs would not bite an intruder, if they did how could you possibly want to have the dogs put down. that is outrageous.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:18 AM
If a child or adult wanders into a someone elses garden with a dog and the dog attacks them why should they be euthanised? (the dog I mean)

Its a dogs natural instinct to guard its territory and its a parents responsibility to ensure their child knows better then to wander into someones garden with a dog.

Why should parents all ways have the right to blame dog owners? Surely they have a certain responsibility to teach their children how to safely play around strange dogs and how to respect other peoples property.

I think the parents of the mauled swindon child are being completly irrasponsible in not accepting their own foult and sending out such a negative message about dogs.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I think children should be tethered and kept more under controll sometimes I see them on harnesses though.

Anywho this would not have happend if the parents were keeping an eye on their kid in the first place because clearly they werent if it wandered into a garden and got mauled by someone elses dog. Thats entirelly the foult and very tragic that it happend.

Why should all dog owners have to teather/controll their dog in their own gardens?? Thats silly.

Walked with a nice lady with two lovely golden retrievers she told me that she went on the beach which has no restrictions to dogs and was approached by a man with two kids who told her to leash her f**king dogs because he had kids.
Whatever happened to reins? My mother used them for me and my brother, and I used them for my daughter. They are a brilliant idea - as for the man of the beach, I would have told him to leash his f***ing kids!! Damn cheek!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Now there's something we agree on

Seriously though are reins not acceptable now?
Why not??? They were fantastic.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:28 AM
You get a mixed response if you post about reins on parenting forums - from the "yeah practically they're a good idea" to the "OMG LEADS ARE FOR DOGS THIS IS UTTERLY BARBARIC THE WORLD SHOULD PART FOR MY OFFSPRING, VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD YADDA YADDA" utter hysteria.

Personally - if she turns out to be a bit of a runner... she'll be on reins as a backup (possibly one of those cool backpacks with them attached)!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
You get a mixed response if you post about reins on parenting forums - from the "yeah practically they're a good idea" to the "OMG LEADS ARE FOR DOGS THIS IS UTTERLY BARBARIC THE WORLD SHOULD PART FOR MY OFFSPRING, VILLAGE TO RAISE A CHILD YADDA YADDA" utter hysteria.

Personally - if she turns out to be a bit of a runner... she'll be on reins as a backup (possibly one of those cool backpacks with them attached)!
the world's gone mad if parents cannot see that reins are a fantastic SAFETY device for their sprogs.

I actually had a woman demand that I remove my 2 dogs from an open-sided barn at a village fete where we had all gathered as it was raining heavily because her child was allergic to dogs. I suggested that she might like to remove her child, and her reply was it was down to me because dogs are animals. I retorted what do you think that us humans are then, plants??! Stupid woman. I love kids, I like nothing better than mixing with well behaved children in our local pub, but I dislike intensely this modern day culture that children are the be-all and end-all. They are not, and if they are raised to think this, then God help the world.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
If a child or adult wanders into a someone elses garden with a dog and the dog attacks them why should they be euthanised? (the dog I mean)

Its a dogs natural instinct to guard its territory and its a parents responsibility to ensure their child knows better then to wander into someones garden with a dog.

Why should parents all ways have the right to blame dog owners? Surely they have a certain responsibility to teach their children how to safely play around strange dogs and how to respect other peoples property.

I think the parents of the mauled swindon child are being completly irrasponsible in not accepting their own foult and sending out such a negative message about dogs.
Well said Pippam.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I can think of plenty of kids that may benefit from a good tethering

Or a good leathering (only joking!!)
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I dislike intensely this modern day culture that children are the be-all and end-all. They are not, and if they are raised to think this, then God help the world.
I so agree with you, I have seen so many friends and family treat their children as if they were some sort of demi-god, every one of them has turned out to be unpleasant and selfish.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
I so agree with you, I have seen so many friends and family treat their children as if they were some sort of demi-god, every one of them has turned out to be unpleasant and selfish.
I love kids, don't get me wrong, but I just think it plain selfish of parents to indulge their children so - as you say, they grow up unpleasant, and it's not fair. It must be such a shock to a spoiled young adult to have to learn that the world does not centre around them and their wishes. I think children should be treated the same as our dogs, lots of love, but with rules, boundaries and limitations clearly set down right from the start (sorry, I sound like a certain Mexican who I know is not that loved on Dogsey, but I do believe in R's B's and L's!!).
Page 8 of 26 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »