Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by tinkladyv View Post
I think there was a need to inspire kids years ago too, yes. Thats how we got to the situation where kids now on the whole just expexct to be able to go to uni, thats the norm.

So we are saying that we just forget the kids that are uninspired by education, often only because the systems dont work for them, or because their personal circumsatnces mean that they were never given the tools or importance on or for education.

What im saying on the whole is that we are tarring people with same brush because of one bad apple put in a paper IMO that is putting out hate propoganda against people on benefits, asylum seekers etc as are most of the tabloids and we the jo public eat it all up because it makes us feel better to blame someone else
No absolutely not, don't forget the kids, but the ones who are not inspired by education should go straight from school to work. I know people who quit school at an early age and went straight into manual labour or factory work or any other job they could find! I even know people who have got onto the wrong path, gone to prison and have managed to come out and do exactly the same, work, its about having a strong work ethic. It should be expected to have to work, it should be the norm!

Kids have to work really hard to get into uni, its not easy, the stress of exams etc, but they then have degrees and have decided to put themselves into debt in order to make sure that they have enjoyable, profitable jobs when they graduate - I don't know of many students who don't either work straight after uni, or do postgraduate courses.

My opinions aren't based on this one bad apple, I hate the benefits system here, I think it sucks, take from those who earn to feed those who can't be bothered?? When I lived alone I was literally left with hardly anything after paying my rent, bills etc, I would have been quite comfortable had I had my own income tax given back to me, but instead it goes on people who stay in bed until midday get up to sign on and then go back to watch daytime telly.....call me bitter, but I don't think thats the way a country should be run!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post
No absolutely not, don't forget the kids, but the ones who are not inspired by education should go straight from school to work. I know people who quit school at an early age and went straight into manual labour or factory work or any other job they could find! I even know people who have got onto the wrong path, gone to prison and have managed to come out and do exactly the same, work, its about having a strong work ethic. It should be expected to have to work, it should be the norm!

Kids have to work really hard to get into uni, its not easy, the stress of exams etc, but they then have degrees and have decided to put themselves into debt in order to make sure that they have enjoyable, profitable jobs when they graduate - I don't know of many students who don't either work straight after uni, or do postgraduate courses.

My opinions aren't based on this one bad apple, I hate the benefits system here, I think it sucks, take from those who earn to feed those who can't be bothered?? When I lived alone I was literally left with hardly anything after paying my rent, bills etc, I would have been quite comfortable had I had my own income tax given back to me, but instead it goes on people who stay in bed until midday get up to sign on and then go back to watch daytime telly.....call me bitter, but I don't think thats the way a country should be run!
Excellent post and I agree entirely.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Lorna View Post

I in the most part agree with you Lorna, what i dont agree with as i have said before is everyone being tarred with the same brush, because having worked with people on benefits, know they are not people who stay in bed until midday get up to sign on and then go back to watch daytime telly, but are people who are at a difficult point in their lives and are struggling with life in general or have been brought up in life to just sign on, for both of these there has to be some tailored support/inspiration to motivate them and like i have said before i have seen brilliant colleagues do this and i hope i did too, which got people back into education and work.
Its an interesting fact that most men i worked with in the hostel enviroment were illiterate and this simply was their barrier, a barrier of shame in the most, maybe try to imagine how to apply for the most basic of job, without the ability to read or write or to have to admit you cannot do either when your handed something to fill in.
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 01:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The article states she is or was "illegal" along with the fact she is married to a Dutch (I think) nationalist, who for a short time lived here in the UK, and on that technicality , she has had her deportation over turned by the European Courts, so one asks the question, why not settle in her Husbands Country, maybe the answer is , because she wont get the benefits there she is getting here.
I may be being stupid, but i read the article again and cant see the above anywhere?
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 11:01 AM
I in the most part agree with you Lorna, what i dont agree with as i have said before is everyone being tarred with the same brush, because having worked with people on benefits, know they are not people who stay in bed until midday get up to sign on and then go back to watch daytime telly, but are people who are at a difficult point in their lives and are struggling with life in general or have been brought up in life to just sign on, for both of these there has to be some tailored support/inspiration to motivate them and like i have said before i have seen brilliant colleagues do this and i hope i did too, which got people back into education and work.
Its an interesting fact that most men i worked with in the hostel enviroment were illiterate and this simply was their barrier, a barrier of shame in the most, maybe try to imagine how to apply for the most basic of job, without the ability to read or write or to have to admit you cannot do either when your handed something to fill in.

Yes but whose fault is that, does one not have responsibility for themselves ? unless of course there are mental health problems/learning difficulties
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I may be being stupid, but i read the article again and cant see the above anywhere?
It may have been on the news then, I know it said that somewhere .
tinkladyv
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
[/B]

Yes but whose fault is that, does one not have responsibility for themselves ? unless of course there are mental health problems/learning difficulties
Of course you have responsability for yourself, but Sometimes people just need a helping hand, i know i have needed that before.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Obviously we know the historial implications of WW2 and she was genuine, no problem with genuine asylum seekers but there are a lot here and waiting to get here who are not. They bypass various other countries to get here, if they are that desperate they would go to the nearest one.
As i said in previous post, most seem to be young Afghan men which i'd say is a bit ironic seeing as our young men are in their country fighting their war.
I don't for a moment think that our government goes into war as an act of altruism. They are always looking out for their own interests.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Depends on your point of view re war, what would have happened if we hadn't retaliated when Hitler invaded Poland ? Our troops are still fighting and being killed regardless of the reasons some people think they are there.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Of course you have responsability for yourself, but Sometimes people just need a helping hand, i know i have needed that before.
Oh a helping hand because they couldn't be bothered to learn, so they pass the consequences on to someone else ! thats the problem isn't it now its always someone elses problem .
Page 8 of 12 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »