View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Sorry I may upset some people here, but Leanne, whilst you and others on here may understand depression, and understandably not wanting to upset the apple cart........the dog doesn't.

So if the dog does something that he doesn;'t like do you really think a beating is ideal.....It will only make the dog do more mistakes.

And I am sorry for this......but to me its not about your OH depression its about what the dog is suffering....and I think thats what you need to remember.

Those dogs need to be placed in safety and then he needs to get treatment.

Sorry but to me the dogs welfare would be my first priority
budskipup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:05 AM
you don't live with him , that poor dog does , just waiting for the next beating ,you can walk away, that dog can't .You're making excuses for your oh , it's already started, the slow drip drip of excuses as to why he hits the dog and you are accepting them . If you move in with him he'll start on you , you'll make him angry, it's all your fault , if you just stop moaning , going on, defending the dog ,breathing , then I won't get angry ,
That's what he's doing to the dog now , walk away now, he won't change , why should he it's not his fault it's the dogs and please as you walk away take dog with you
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Firstly, I want to point out that I didnt post the thread to get sympathy, or to show off how good my dog is or to have it confirmed to me I should leave him. I posted the thread because the whole thing was on my mind. Furthermore, I knew this thread, and me, wouldnt get a favourable response but i'm used to that. I've been on Dogsey long enough to know how people will respond to certain things.

Secondly, I do not live with my OH so my details on here are irrelevant. I have to admit, I wasnt expecting somebody to suggest my details should be used to report my OH though. I take sole responsibility for my dogs, the OH has nothing to do with them. Like I said in my original post, we take our dogs out seperately and since I dont live with him neither, I dont know how he treats her on a day to day basis. I have seen things I dont agree with in the past but not to the extent I saw yesterday, which is why I posted.

Thirdly, I did not leave him completely whistling for his dog. We had taken the 2 pointers out only, I went back to the car to collect my collies and then they all went out. By this time he'd calmed down and was letting his dog do what she wanted again. The rest of the walk was spent with me trying to convince him that if he altered his attitude, his dog wouldnt be such a problem. I've talked to him about this till i'm blue in the face and we've had many disagreements about it but it falls on deaf ears.

Believe it or not, he is a very mild mannered person who fails to see problems as problems, thats why his dog runs amok in the first place but when he does lose his temper, he goes completely overboard, but this happens on very rare occassions. I'm not concerned for my safety at all though. In his defence, he does suffer with severe depression and it's something i've had to deal with, and that includes several attempts at suicide. I dont want to bring his/our personal problems into it but Wilbar brought up mental health.

Mine and his approach to dog ownership is completely different and try as I might, I cant convince him that his approach isnt responsible and clearly doesnt work. He's older than me, has had many more dogs than me so whether he thinks i've got no grounds to preach, I dont know.
Leanne if you don't live with your OH you are only seeing the side of him he wants you to see. Abusers of animals are often also abusing their partners and their children. I think you are being wilfully blind to the implications of his behaviour for you in the long term.

As far as his treatment of the dog is concerned you don't have to rant at him, but make it very clear that you will not tolerate him abusing his dog. Then stick to your guns and do the right thing if he does it again. That is the very least you should do.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:11 AM
If he is depressed and has issues ect and this a a reason for the beatings?? Then he is solely not to blame, others around him not helping to but measures etc and stepping in to help. You have to do something or else you might have been beating the dog youself. If nit you need to consider what claire us suggesting:

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t suppose counselling or anger management are things he`d consider?
please have the strenght to do something
ATD x
Shanik
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:12 AM
"Believe it or not, he is a very mild mannered person who fails to see problems as problems, thats why his dog runs amok in the first place but when he does lose his temper, he goes completely overboard, but this happens on very rare occassions. I'm not concerned for my safety at all though. In his defence, he does suffer with severe depression and it's something i've had to deal with, and that includes several attempts at suicide. I dont want to bring his/our personal problems into it but Wilbar brought up mental health."

Your statement here really concerns me Leanne. Rare occasions can progress to something worse. He could find himself in a situation where he cannot retreat to 'cool down' and that is when it can be dangerous. If he has an explosive temper where it escalates to beating his own dog then I think he needs help/and or support with his anger. You could help him? Would he listen to you if you were to suggest this? I know you will feel loyalty towards your partner and want to defend him but if you choose to stay with him then please consider what that rare explosion may release in a family situation. Counselling would be a start.

In all sincerity, my husband has suffered depression culminating in nervous breakdowns for 8 years now and he has never lifted a hand to any living being.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I think you need to be careful you say you understand he acts like this from depression...sounds in this case more like anger or frustration.

But what shouts out to me is that he finds it acceptable to behave in this way in front of you which to me means he either does not cre one iota what you think OR worse maybe he thinks you agree with his methods.........either way dangerous relationship ground.

Has he always beaten his dog in front of you to some degree or has it gently crept into the relationship starting with a strong word then a slap...stepping up the violence and therefore you now think to yourself he can beat his dog any dog as long as its not yours?

What would you do out of interest if he had decided to beat your dog in the same when he went after the rabbit?

The way you describe the beating scared me...honestly it did and I am not a person who is scared by much. But you described it in such a matter of fact way......and the fact you returned to the car brought out your other dogs and then continued to walk with him is concerning to say the least.

None intervention is sometimes worse than commiting the offence. Your very acceptance worries me more than his violence.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:21 AM
Lord it took me so long to write my post it I was on page 7 when I started now a whole new page....this has opened a pandora's box.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I have to agree with the above, OK, we are all disgusted with the behaviour of this man, and its seems from many have just simply judged Leanne for standing by and watching.
I will judge her for standing by, but then, thats because I've got years of watching people stand by and do nothing, whilst myself and others were bullied and tormented. Thats only what Ican tell you, the rest, isn't fit for a public forum.

So I'm sorry if sympathy isn't forth coming from me, but her post hit a verry raw nerve.

However, I am trying to understand, even if it doesn't seem like it, and personally, I've got to respect her for coming back on here, that took some balls, now if only she could direct that towards her OH, who seems like he needs some help, before it escalates further.

As I'm afraid it will.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Leanne if you don't live with your OH you are only seeing the side of him he wants you to see. Abusers of animals are often also abusing their partners and their children. I think you are being wilfully blind to the implications of his behaviour for you in the long term.

As far as his treatment of the dog is concerned you don't have to rant at him, but make it very clear that you will not tolerate him abusing his dog. Then stick to your guns and do the right thing if he does it again. That is the very least you should do.
I am pretty sure that the OP said she would be moving into a static caravan (or something) with her OH and the dogs would be kennelled outside...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Sorry I may upset some people here, but Leanne, whilst you and others on here may understand depression, and understandably not wanting to upset the apple cart........the dog doesn't.

So if the dog does something that he doesn;'t like do you really think a beating is ideal.....It will only make the dog do more mistakes.

And I am sorry for this......but to me its not about your OH depression its about what the dog is suffering....and I think thats what you need to remember.

Those dogs need to be placed in safety and then he needs to get treatment.

Sorry but to me the dogs welfare would be my first priority
I have to agree. The man may have problems but if his 'outlet' is to beat up the dog, he should not have a dog. It's black and white to me - there is no way on earth that it is acceptable to abuse a dog - no reasons or excuses. The dog should be removed for its safety and he should seek help for the fact that for whatever reason, he becomes so out of control that he reacts with violence towards an innocent animal. He is a sentient human being and responsible for his actions, regardless of how depressed he may be.

If it were me, I would make sure that dog was taken away to safety, regardless of how much understanding I felt, or how much I intended to stay with this guy.
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 26 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »