Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Which supposes that your dog will rationalise and reason? A child would, of course, because they can understand our explanations of what we feel about their behaviour.

A dog, on the other hand, is just as likely to see it differently:

Chew shoe = owner talks to me
Owner says 'no' = getting a bone or a toy
Best way to get a bone or a toy = chew shoe
I would do the same as Ian and continue to praise the pup whenever he is chewing one of his own toys.

Throwing the question back to you, what would you do in that situation?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Indeed, and I must say I think it's a very short time. Especially if handlers are not always experienced with dogs and training.

RE Dogwise, the dog was an adult rescue, from Wood Green I believe...nice looking boy. I'm pretty certain he was trained in the 12 weeks and did well in his test
But did he go on to become an operational police dog?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
So, did the aversive provide an inadvertant quick fix? Yep. Did the fix last? Nope!!

Using physical aversives look attractive at the outset, but, hand on heart, if used for, say, chasing sheep, would you really trust that the dog would never chase them again once the 'quick fix' had been applied? I wouldn't and neither would I be prepared to keep a collar on my dog and the button in my hand.
So, in the case of your fire it was a quick fix. As I have said, I haven't used an ecollar myself but do know someone who used one on their boxer who was a dedicated sheep chaser. The collar was on the dog for a week, she pressed the button twice, the dog has never looked at livestock again - this was a year and a half ago.

So, it brings me back to what I said in another post about what works for one, won't necessarily work for another. You need to find what motivates your dog, and also which dogs need aversives to help them learn.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am not sure if Johan is reading this thread, but would be interested in his views on training really hard-wired working Mals by positive only methods. I am just not convinced it would work with dogs like that (but try to keep an open mind).
I'm miles behind here, still have 2 pages to read in this very good discussion but wanted to say, I know of an excellent manwork trainer called Geert de Bolster. He trains using only positive reinforcement for the actual manwork, thus showing it can be done at this very high level of control

An acquaintance of mine wh owns a working bred GSD was so riveted by his methods and the recent 3 day workshop he held at LearningaboutDogs in Gloucestershire that she's desperate to continue with him (she does working trials and was in the championships this year) and is looking into getting her dog passported to go to him in Europe once a month!

The dogs at the workshop were dogs and bitches, GSDs and Mals (working bred) and one Aussie shepherd I know a police dog handler who has a working bred Malinois who is using non compulsive methods now, and finding it works very well.

I think folk who are heavily involved in KNPV and Mondioring etc have a tradition of using pack leadership (ie they think dogs try to be dominant so handler must be alpha) and also tend to use prong collars, electric collars and use a lot more force. They tend to stick to their tradition because for them it works, although for someone like me, it's not fair on the dog at all.

I've seen videos of working mals in some of these trials and their body language is often very uncertain - some really are not happy - until the adrenalin kicks in, then it changes. This is of course a bit of a generalisation but I feel it should be said.

There are some working bred Mals being used in Schutzhund who have been trained using positive reinforcement too - basically in their case, they've been totally fixed onto a toy and will do anything for that.

Rambling a bit, sorry, but what I'm trying to say is that in my view if people have the knowledge of learning theory, high drive dogs can be trained without force.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks for your views Ramble, I really do find this subject interesting.

I would never use an ecollar unless I thought it could save my dog's life and then I would want to either be trained by someone who was competent in using it before using it myself. It is not something I would use lightly by any means, and, as I have already said, I have never used one yet. I would rather use all other kinder means available first.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to turn into an ecollar debate so will steer away from this particular vein now

Good idea!!!! :smt002
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:25 PM
But did he go on to become an operational police dog?
Just checked in the book - dog and handler were fully operational on Hampstead Heath not sure how long for
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Just checked in the book - dog and handler were fully operational on Hampstead Heath not sure how long for
Thanks Wysiwyg.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
hehe Don't know about Dobies, but good luck to anyone trying to train an adult GSD with positive only training. By the time you do, the dog will be too old to utilise any of what it's learned.
Have to disagree The first dog I trained professionally for someone else was trained only by positive reinforcement & it was a long time ago. She had been very badly treated by a "dog breaker"& I couldn't even touch her to stroke her nor put a collar & lead on her, she was 14 months old when I took her on & in three months we were in the obedience ring competing successfully

She ended up a very well trained dog & we were highly successful in obedience & WT's. I had a brilliant trainer & I still train the same way because it works for all my dogs

I've had GSDs since 1958(although I'm without a GSD at present)& apart from the first one they have all been trained with 100% postive methods & my next one(booked for 2010)will be the same
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 06:02 PM
& my next one(booked for 2010)will be the same
That's planning for the future! Why the long wait?

Helen
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
That's planning for the future! Why the long wait?

Helen
Mainly because he will be coming from Germany on a Pet Passport & by 2010 the qualifying period will be reduced from 6 months from the positive titre test date to the actual titre test date.

This means instead of puppies entering the UK @ 10 months old at the youngest, it will be around 17 weeks.

LOL plus I'm getting another BC in late 2007/early 2008 & I don't like having dogs too close together
Page 7 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >