View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorraine(bws)
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 02:55 PM
thought to georges family rip . guess I disagree with some of you here I feel so sorry for the family and for him as well ,being a alcoholic is indeed an illness and a very sad thing for families to witness even though you are told alcohol will kill you it does not matter guess people believe it will never happen to them .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2005, 03:14 PM
Every now and then a person comes along who is exceptionally good in their chosen field , I know nothing about football but my husband a knowledgeable and competant sportsman himself always said George Best was the most accomplished footballer there had ever been.

All people have their flaws and talented people are no exception, this should not detract from the person as a whole. George Best was well aware of his failings, I think he paid his taxes and had every right to the same health care as everyone else including having a liver transplant, tissue matching is a very precise thing and if Best had not taken the liver it is doubtful it would have been a match for anyone else.

In his time as a player Best bought enormous enjoyment to thousands of people a thing that can't be said by many who stand in judgement over him.. George I for one raise my glass to you...

... farewell to a jolly nice chap and a superb footballer!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Except they dont jump a 2yr queue to take an organ that should of been for somebody else, then abuse it and all around him, costing his friends and family much heartache and the health service thousands that could be used on more derserving people.

I realise I sound harsh, but I am sick and tired of hearing about him and what he did 20 or 30 odd years ago, whats more important is what he did since then and it isnt very pleasant!
Dawn.
I agree 100% Dawn - he hasn't been the playboy footballer that he was for many years now. Now, to me at least, he's just a drunk who has abused the system with his so called fame, and has abused those who loved him and stood by him. My mother was an alcoholic and failed to ever give it up. My brother-in-law was one too, and managed to give it up. No one is condemning the man because he's an alcoholic, just the way he has abused the help he was given
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 04:52 PM
"If George could pass a bar as well as he passed the ball, he would be great"
Tommy Docherty
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2005, 05:10 PM
RIP, such a waste of a wonderfully talented man
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7