View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 05:59 AM
I think the collars are likely not safe for epileptic dogs or cats or animals who are not totally healthy or may have some underlying problem. Nigredo is allergy prone and I have heard of horrible skin allergies so we won't be trying one.

There are cases where people said these collars caused seizures, lethargy, and ugly sickness in pets such as stumbling or random lameness, neurological problems. Don't see many of them, but they are there. It's a good idea to remove the collar for now like you did, Malka.

The collar isn't well tested from what I can see, and it doesn't seem truly safe. Tons of chemicals that are supposed to time release but not tested well enough to ensure that an overdose is impossible. I don't like that at all. I'm going to start telling people to avoid these collars now.

Another reason I can't stand putting poison on animals. I'm so upset my Nigredo is allergic to natural flea prevention because these horrible strong chemicals cause so many problems. Cancer, seizures, etc.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 06:49 AM
Oh no Malka, just read all through here.. what the heck happened ??!! glad Pereg has gotten over it again and you must be in a right state.. thinking of you both and sending big hugs from Spain xx
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

14-06-2014, 06:50 AM
Thinking of you, Malka, and hope that your eye is healing well and Pereg is well today.

Hugs to you both with a special cuddle to Pereg xxxx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-06-2014, 07:24 AM
Collar off and cut into pieces. Going back to Frontline Plus which never caused her a seizure. So many seizures since that collar went on 21 May. Plus my strange fall. Has to be the collar whatever Bayer says.

Managed to soak the steristrips off my eye so can open it a bit but still cannot wash all the blood out of my hair. No more shower until neighbour back as too risky alone even with shower chair but did manage to get my head under tap. No shampoo though because of stitches round eye.

Pereg seems unusually thirsty but apart from having turned from velcro dog to superglue dog seems OK. And that is all that matters really.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Thank you for that link Claire - I cannot see too well at the moment so will read it through when I can. In the meantime I have bookmarked it in my epilepsy file.

Would I change Pereg for what she is now for a Pereg who was not epileptic? But she would not be my Pereg if she were not epileptic would she, and she and I would not have the close connection we do.

Sure I would love her not to have The Monster forever hovering, but the Pereg I have, the Pereg I love, is the Pereg who has to live with The Monster.

As do I.

And only someone with an epi would probably understand this.
Malka, this made me cry! I completely understand where you are coming from. I've had two epis in my life, my first dog Tucker (saluki x Goldie) and my GSDx Wolf. Tucker only developed epilepsy in his latter years, and lived to a good age despite also having a heart-murmur. Wolf had it from a youngster and only made it to four years, but losing him was like losing a child. Was it the epilepsy that made him the astounding dog he was? Or would he have been exactly the same dog without it? I don't know - I only know we had a bond with him so strong that both my husband and I still cry to think of him, twenty years after his death, and that bond was all the stronger because of the epilepsy. We were 'in it together' so to speak.

Some dogs just manage to burrow their way right into the centre of your soul, don't they? Wolf was that dog for me, Pereg sounds like such a one for you.

(((Hugs to both of you)))
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

14-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Thank you Abi. See I know - only someone with an epi will understand the close connection you have with them.

I hate The Monster so much but I love my Pereg for who and what she is who she is because of The Monster.

And I could talk for years but only someone who ever has/had an epi would ever understand it.

There is a special connection. Pereg would not be MY Pereg would she? She would be a different Pereg and much as I hate The Monster I love MY Pereg for who and what she is. In spite of that damn Monster.

So much that people do not know about canine epilepsy. So many people do not even know a dog can be epileptic or know why.

So many types of epilepsy and still people do not know.

I know and my wonderful vet knows that when I say it is time, it will be time.

But my beloved Pereg is no way ready yet.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Malka I think you were the one who suggested you were considering putting Pereg to sleep I think your words were "Think it is time now"
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

15-06-2014, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Malka I think you were the one who suggested you were considering putting Pereg to sleep I think your words were "Think it is time now"
I really did think it was time. I had fallen when trying to get to her when she had the first seizure and hurt my head, that was when I got the emergency doctor out, and when I thought it was time, so phoned Ram. Then slipped on her urine when she had the second one and I ended up in the ER as had hit my head again and what with Xrays, CT scan and then the stitches I started panicking because she was by herself and late for her meds, and realised that no, I cannot give up on her yet.

And when I heard her excited back when she heard me come back in the taxi, and the look of joy on her fact when I opened the door... no, not time yet. She is not ready, I am not ready - it is not time yet. Maybe one day but not yet.

She has had two GMs since then but is already more herself since I took that collar off. But she is still drinking much more than normal although that could be because of not eating - lots of water in her first meal and then the bone one so once she starts eating properly she will probably not drink so much.
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7