Our sister sites
alfiesblue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
Thank you.
Your welcome.

The problem being the story has changed again and now instead of others looking they too were voicing their opinions to the owner.

This may have been a one off occurance, the owner may never ever let her dog go without water again but has to deal with complaints and having letters sent to magazines.

Id hate for one possible bad moment for people always to think the worst of me.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
hmmm I have read the OP, I have read here and there over the thread.

I think it was down right digusting that the owner chatted for over 35 minutes and left their dog without water! I think that is the main post without others dramatising a simple response.

Weather the op's times changes is irrellevent the fact is a dog was left without water by an owner who blaitently should have known better and was quite happy to leave the dog thirsty for much longer had the op not persisted that the water was quite empty.

Who knows if the op hadn't of said something the dog could have gone hours without water which is terrible!

When I attend a local Poultry Auction the rules state birds must have food and water through out even though the auction only lasts a short time. Why doesn't DD insist the same for dogs?

If the owner couldn't keep an eye on the dogs water themselves because they were bombarded with questions then they should have had an assistant with them to look after the dog.

I think there are far worse things that can be described as "disgusting" when it comes to dogs and what people do with them, than leaving a dog 35 min's without water

Did the dog die, No, was it dehydrated , No, it was whining and its water bowl was empty, the OP put two and two together and assumed its crying was due to it needing water, backed up by the fact the dog drank out of the bowl when it was filled.

The dog could have been crying/whining for all manner of reasons, the OP decided it was because it was thirsty, she may be right , but she also may have got it completely wrong.

I do feel making an official complaint is way OTT, but people will do what they feel they should , so be it.

But for some of the comments towards the owner on here, again way OTT, considering, you are only hearing it from one point of view.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
Just to clarify one thing here ,well actually i DO KNOW HOW these dogs are treated at home, with love and care!. the lady concerned is very passionate about the breed as are most of us. Lets not forget they do this on a voluntary basis and may have been short of helpers at the time. FWIW my roughs will go all day at a show without water.
It's good to know they are treated well at home

However, the voluntary basis thing should cut no ice - if any of us do anything voluntary then it's better to do it to the best of our ability and also to remember why we are there, what we represent, etc etc.

I would not be impressed if i saw dogs without water at any similar dog event, nor would I be impressed if the owner was asked about water and did not act on it, (which is the crux of the matter)>

I was always, always taught that water should be available as animals rely on us to look after them. Anything else, after being made aware of the "no water" situation, is to me not really on.

I don't do anything like Discover Dogs etc but if I did I'd b mortified and apologetic if my dog's bowl was empty for more than a few minutes. Apart from anything else, it's not showing a good example of "husbandry" and care to would be owners of any breed...

JMHO

Wys
x
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
But why would you do that?
do what??? sorry i'm missing something here
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Because some dogs wont drink at shows........
exactly........ thanks . some people always quick to pounce huh
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-07-2012, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It's good to know they are treated well at home

However, the voluntary basis thing should cut no ice - if any of us do anything voluntary then it's better to do it to the best of our ability and also to remember why we are there, what we represent, etc etc.

I would not be impressed if i saw dogs without water at any similar dog event, nor would I be impressed if the owner was asked about water and did not act on it, (which is the crux of the matter)>

I was always, always taught that water should be available as animals rely on us to look after them. Anything else, after being made aware of the "no water" situation, is to me not really on.

I don't do anything like Discover Dogs etc but if I did I'd b mortified and apologetic if my dog's bowl was empty for more than a few minutes. Apart from anything else, it's not showing a good example of "husbandry" and care to would be owners of any breed...

JMHO

Wys
x
well nothing untoward happened to the bitch in the 35 mins she went without water (allegedly!!! only the OP knows the length of time) . the dog is well and happy , always was and is now, so why keep banging on about it. There are far worse things happening to pets than this. I've had roughs for many 40 years and never heard one whine or cry for water ever!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 12:45 PM
My dogs can do over 2.30 hours of bus travel in a single day, they don't get water on the bus.
If I'm on a course or doing work which requires them to be kept on lead or tethered next to me, there isn't always a water boll in reach. So yes, they can handle half an hour without a drink if needs must, as can I.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Isn't the point that the dogs were whining and stopped whining once the water was provided? Isn't it also the point that that lady concerned ignored concerns regarding the empty water bowl?

I believe it was hot at the show. I believe the owners stayed with the dogs. There was no excuse not to provide water throughout. Isn't that also the point?

Poor judgement on behalf of the owner, but hopefully a lesson learned.
alfiesblue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Isn't the point that the dogs were whining and stopped whining once the water was provided? Isn't it also the point that that lady concerned ignored concerns regarding the empty water bowl?

I believe it was hot at the show. I believe the owners stayed with the dogs. There was no excuse not to provide water throughout. Isn't that also the point?

Poor judgement on behalf of the owner, but hopefully a lesson learned.
I dont think the whining stopping means that they were indeed thirsty.

It could do though.

I have had roughs a long time and mine have whined about all kinds, if you are not paying attention etc. My one now does just that, cries for attention but stops if you throw a ball or offer a drink or pet him etc.

It could be the dog needed water but it could also be that the dog was merely 'talking' while their owner did too.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by alfiesblue View Post
I dont think the whining stopping means that they were indeed thirsty.

It could do though.

I have had roughs a long time and mine have whined about all kinds, if you are not paying attention etc. My one now does just that, cries for attention but stops if you throw a ball or offer a drink or pet him etc.

It could be the dog needed water but it could also be that the dog was merely 'talking' while their owner did too.
If one person 'perceived' it was because it had no water, then I wonder how many others did too? The even was a showcase for dogs. The owner should have had more sense, especially after being told about the empty bowl
Page 7 of 10 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >