Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Thank you. Thats it exactly, I am sure some people are just lazy, others type like they talk - and really is that so wrong, yes Im not a fan of how some people talk but we are all different and language evolves within different groups of people - if people are interested in language then I would have thought it would be more interesting rather than annoying to see this evolution

and yes it can be very disheartining to put your all into a peice of work to have it come back all rinnged in red because all that can be seen is the spelling mistakes not the content
When I was young I used to write really really small in the hope that people wouldnt notice my mistakes
I was sent to special english classes, which didnt help in any way - you get given a bunch of rules - like ' i before e except after c' - see I learnt them but the rules dont always work

Still it didnt stop me - I have an honors degree, I am still constantly learning, researching things and I read several book a month (often several a week)

Its funny (sad) that people can look down on people and not understand that they just cant 'get' spelling, but totaly acceptable for someone to say they struggle with nuclear physics or electronics (things I understand easily with no effort)
My OH can't spell 'niece' but he could strip down a car engine inside and out and put it all back together again.

He can do anything with his hands. Does this make him any less of a person? Someone with an honours degree in English couldn't do what M could...........
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I couldn't agree more Ben Mc and Deb. For the record Ben Mc I think it's brilliant that you haven't let your issues with spelling hold you back.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2011, 09:58 PM
I think there is a vast difference between the few who have real difficulties with spelling due to dyslexia or similar, and the majority of lazy people who cannot be bovvered.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 10:09 PM
But speaking on a forum like we do, this can be mistaken quite easily, don't you think?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 10:14 PM
I am with my own. However I am a worse snob at speaking correctly. We have foster children in our care that speak alien

Sick.....means good or great

Bad..... ditto ^^^^

Wicked.... ditto ^^^^

sweet..... ditto ^^^^

It aint...... it is not

and a thousand other things that grate on my nerves.

worst one's.... the right way of ..borrow and lend, bought becomes brought, bring become brung and worse....the word bottle become bokkle

I spend most of my day correcting '''speech'''
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 10:15 PM
Often the 'lazy' people are covering up problems they may have with their literacy.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 10:15 PM
I am a big fan of Lynne Truss (wrote a best-selling book on grammar, spelling and punctuation called "Eats, shoots and leaves)
Backfires on me sometimes though as we were in the garage and I had pointed out to Jamie that the sign on their van was incorrect as it had "MOT's" instead of "MOTs".

Jamie told the owner of the garage when he came back I pointed out diplomatically that it was the sign writer's mistake rather than his!

We regularly get e-mails from top managers with basic errors in such as this and it does look a bit ignorant in my opinion.

"Potato's for sale" is a sign you often see in laybys (sp? ) in Norfolk too!
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 10:17 PM
Same ere.............. And vats only wiv ma Over arf....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2011, 10:17 PM
I plese myself and I aint bovvered who it upsets, I choose to use words like Dunno, ain't, bovvered cos I like it, lol and yes I do know how to spell them properly but I'm writing on a forum not a dissertation
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I don't like laziness either, nor do I like text talk, but we are not all perfect. There are punctuation errors in a number of posts on this thread.
Page 7 of 16 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »