View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Im not arab im kashmiri so ive lived in a war zone lol, Do you think as "grown ups" lol were taught enough about different cultures and religions in school??
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Sorry abbas!

No we are not taught enough in R.E at school!

I think should introduce poltics as well!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 05:30 PM
we are not taught enough about different religions or 'different' anything at school that is why there is so much ignorance around because people become subconciously conditioned to accept only what is 'the norm' to them
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT
Sorry abbas!

No we are not taught enough in R.E at school!

I think should introduce poltics as well!
at what ages? i was tought about the kosovo/bosina and WW2 when i was 16 but i think thats 2 late
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

09-07-2005, 06:20 PM
When I worked in a nursery in London it was multi cultural and we all learned about each others faiths and festivals and celebrated them together - it was really lovely to see all the kids interact in this way and I just hope it had a lasting memory with them before adults prejudices began to take hold of them.

I am a strong believer that we need to educate children better in others cultures and beliefs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
we are not taught enough about different religions or 'different' anything at school that is why there is so much ignorance around because people become subconciously conditioned to accept only what is 'the norm' to them
Originally Posted by Emms
When I worked in a nursery in London it was multi cultural and we all learned about each others faiths and festivals and celebrated them together - it was really lovely to see all the kids interact in this way and I just hope it had a lasting memory with them before adults prejudices began to take hold of them.
I am a strong believer that we need to educate children better in others cultures and beliefs
I agree..
I am lucky enough to work in a school where we have all nationalities, in our house alone we have an Israeli, a Russian, Nigerians,Thais, Brunei, Chinese,Taiwanese, Ghanaian, Zimbabwean, Italian and English all together all respecting each other..some of the girls like the Brunei are sponsored by their government ..they learn here, get entry to the British Universities then go back home to their countries as doctors and lawyers. I like to think the respect and love they learn to have for each other while staying here can in some small way improve the world as a whole. We celebrate and observe all the religious festivals.. Ramadan (when I get up with the girls so they can cook before dawn and break fast) Eid el-Fitr, Hanukkah ,Chinese new year and Christmas among them . If only the rest of the world could be the same .
Abbas_786
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
I agree..
I am lucky enough to work in a school where we have all nationalities, in our house alone we have an Israeli, a Russian, Nigerians,Thais, Brunei, Chinese,Taiwanese, Ghanaian, Zimbabwean, Italian and English all together all respecting each other..some of the girls like the Brunei are sponsored by their government ..they learn here, get entry to the British Universities then go back home to their countries as doctors and lawyers. I like to think the respect and love they learn to have for each other while staying here can in some small way improve the world as a whole. We celebrate and observe all the religious festivals.. Ramadan (when I get up with the girls so they can cook before dawn and break fast) Eid el-Fitr, Hanukkah ,Chinese new year and Christmas among them . If only the rest of the world could be the same .
wow u really are lucky! i wish i was in a place like that! where i come from in kashmir we having being having a war for about 30 odd years its the worlds most militraized(sp) zone more soilders than normal people lol. And ive seen alot and its really sad cuz were brought up 2hate the other side(indian army) and 99% off the people there have never even met an indian! and the same goes 4them they are made 2hate us and have never met some from there! and 99% off the people will live theyre whole lives with out ever meeting someone that is off a diff race/religion i find that really sad and im greatful i grew up in England where i have met people from all over the world! and found out that everyone is special and never to paint any person with the same brush as someone else. I think if we can breed racism out at grass root level 1day we will all live in a better world! its all good 2say all education is the key and that we live in a multi cultural country unless everyone is EDUCATED about what that actually means!
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 09:12 PM
i think everyone should have respect for religion! as long as its not rammed down our throats!

I think R.E should be taught from when you first start school and like mini make them a huge mix! as when i was young ( i was brought up in england and also half english) there was maybe 3 indians in my school! (lovely people they were) and we had thier holidays! as well as the xmas and easter! But no jews holidays lol! But i do celebrate xmas! My mums rule is if you live in england then you do xmas and easter, so you dont feel left out when xmas cards are being given out and you do give them out!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT

I think R.E should be taught from when you first start school and like mini make them a huge mix! as when i was young ( i was brought up in england and also half english) there was maybe 3 indians in my school! (lovely people they were) and we had thier holidays! as well as the xmas and easter! But no jews holidays lol! But i do celebrate xmas! My mums rule is if you live in england then you do xmas and easter, so you dont feel left out when xmas cards are being given out and you do give them out!
my kids schools teach about all religions and they also celebrate each religions holidays. If it will help the future generation be more tolerant its a good thing.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Unless I've missed something no one knows who planted the bombs. Any form of discrimination is wrong.

Terrorism is not religon based it is fear based.

Karen
Page 7 of 9 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 >