Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Is that not what we ALL do when we choose a breed.

Aethstetics is a fundamental part in choosing a breed to live your life with.

And to be fair to those who have lived with docked breeds, and not been used to seeing anythign other, it will take a while to adjust to a different look.
Yes, they are still the same breed, but they do look differnet, and for some people the change is to much for them.

It does not make them wrong or bad , its just fact.
but my point is that, i'll use boxers as an example, if looks are so important that you wont accept a boxer how it is meant to be (with a tail) then why not just choose another breed, that you can accept how it is meant to be.

a girl i work with wants a boxer, but refuses to have one with a tail... i dont get it though, why want a specific breed of dog if you cant accept them for how they are meant to be...
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
but my point is that, i'll use boxers as an example, if looks are so important that you wont accept a boxer how it is meant to be (with a tail) then why not just choose another breed, that you can accept how it is meant to be.

a girl i work with wants a boxer, but refuses to have one with a tail... i dont get it though, why want a specific breed of dog if you cant accept them for how they are meant to be...

And that is the point I am trying to make,

Boxers along with other traditionally docked breeds have been docked for so long, that docked IS how many will see them as "meant " to be.

It will take some peopel longer that others to adjust to seeing their breeds looking different.

A a Boxer with a tail does look different.

Yes we will get used to them in time, watching all the puppies come through now in the show ring with tails.. you begin to see past the tail.

I am 100% pro docking and although if I was looking for a Boxer now, I would not go out of my way to find a Docked one (or a bobtail) I still will always prefer my Boxers docked.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 06:38 PM
When I first saw this thread I wasn't going to bother to read it as it's all been done to death so many times, but now I'm glad I did as it's really been very interesting and has also reminded me a question I've always meant to ask....

Now, I have never been on a shoot in my life but I understand that Cockers were docked to stop their tails getting caught and damaged in undergrowth...

Originally Posted by Fi View Post
This is really the only bit of tail docking I agree with. Seeing cocker and springers work they wag their tails constantly. I can just imagine them getting ripped to shreds.!
In which case why didn't they just keep the fur trimmed short instead of chopping off the 3/4's of the tail? And why do they have such big fluffy ears???? I know that the working type ears aren't as silly as the show type but they are still soft and floppy, what's that about?

Originally Posted by EnR View Post
I am not totally against docking now I know more about the kind of work HPR's do, but I am against it for pet dogs who will never do a day's work in their life!

Breeders can get around the docking ban by saying that the puppies are going to be worked.
Instinctively I'm against all docking but I admit I don't know enough about working condition to make an informed decision there. I am completely against any pet being docked purely for aesthetic preference.

Ofcourse all the rest will come into place, and are equally if not more important.

Whether a breed fits into your lifestyle will all be things we need to take into account.

But Aesthetics will play they very first part in picking your breed.

just like picking a partner.. you are attracted to the LOOK of a certain person.. breed, then you need to take much more into account.

There are many breeds I dont like the look off... so would not even consider taking them on.

But once I like the look of something, then homework is need, health temperament lifestyle will then decide whether a breed is for you or not.
Unfortunately I think that for many people the decision starts and ends with the look. But fortunately now the ban is in place people will get used to the look of formally docked breeds with tails.

Originally Posted by Hali View Post
No, I don't think we ALL place a high importance on aesthetics when choosing a breed. Temperarment/breed traits - yes, size - yes, coat type/length - yes, health - yes.

There is no harm in looks playing a small part in breed/dog selection, I just find it very sad when it becomes an over-riding factor. It also makes me wonder just how much of the 'whole package' of the breed these people really loved?
Sadly Hali I think that sensible people like you and Dogsey members are the exception, not the rule.

Personally I have 2 dogs with tails and one without and I think tails are great!

J
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
When I first saw this thread I wasn't going to bother to read it as it's all been done to death so many times, but now I'm glad I did as it's really been very interesting and has also reminded me a question I've always meant to ask....

Now, I have never been on a shoot in my life but I understand that Cockers were docked to stop their tails getting caught and damaged in undergrowth...

In which case why didn't they just keep the fur trimmed short instead of chopping off the 3/4's of the tail? And why do they have such big fluffy ears???? I know that the working type ears aren't as silly as the show type but they are still soft and floppy, what's that about?

it isn't the fur that is the problem on the tails it is the fact that with the constant motion backwards and forwards there is a fair chance that the tail itself will get broken - e.g. by getting trapped between two stalks.

As for the ears, long ears help with scenting -when the dog's nose is down on the ground, the ears fall forward and 'trap' or 'funnel' the scent towards the nose.

Instinctively I'm against all docking but I admit I don't know enough about working condition to make an informed decision there. I am completely against any pet being docked purely for aesthetic preference.

Unfortunately I think that for many people the decision starts and ends with the look. But fortunately now the ban is in place people will get used to the look of formally docked breeds with tails.

Sadly Hali I think that sensible people like you and Dogsey members are the exception, not the rule.

Unfortunately I guess you might be right - or as Jackbox points out, looks would at least form the basis of your first interest in a breed.

Personally I have 2 dogs with tails and one without and I think tails are great!

J
I can see that it may be sensible for certain working breeds to still be docked, but for the most part the original reason for docking has long since gone and it has purely been for appearance - which I am firmly against.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:49 PM
And that is the point I am trying to make,

Boxers along with other traditionally docked breeds have been docked for so long, that docked IS how many will see them as "meant " to be.

It will take some peopel longer that others to adjust to seeing their breeds looking different.

A a Boxer with a tail does look different.

Yes we will get used to them in time, watching all the puppies come through now in the show ring with tails.. you begin to see past the tail.

I am 100% pro docking and although if I was looking for a Boxer now, I would not go out of my way to find a Docked one (or a bobtail) I still will always prefer my Boxers docked.
but just coz boxers have for years been docked, people shouldnt see that that how they are meant to look... they are meant to look how they were born. i dont get why people want to go chopping bits of there dog off...

i am 100% anti docking, i think it is cruel and totally unneccessary. especially for a pet, why does looks have to play such an important part for you??
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 07:59 PM
Why any animal lover would want an animal docked purely for looks, is beyond me What looks better than a seriously waggy tail
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Why any animal lover would want an animal docked purely for looks, is beyond me What looks better than a seriously waggy tail
Mine have seriously waggy tails
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
i agree.

i dont think a teeny bit of tail can be anywhere near as expressive as a full length one
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i agree.

i dont think a teeny bit of tail can be anywhere near as expressive as a full length one
Well I can vouch they can be!! equally as expressive as any other dog.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Well I can vouch they can be!! equally as expressive as any other dog.
I won't generalise but I have to say in my case that Pepper's little bit of tail is definitely not as expressive as the boys full length ones. I love the way the boys carry theirs arched over when they are playing, or low when they're unhappy, it really helps a non-dog (i.e. me!) to work out how they are feeling. All poor old Pepper can manage is a bit of a wiggle as an excuse for a wag.

J.
Page 7 of 14 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »