Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Thanks Jackie, always a good sign isn't it!!! Thanks Talassie.

Somebody mentioned heat stroke, and I do remember I caught her sitting in the sun about 5pm last night and the garden gets full sun right up to sunset out there and she would normally sit in the shade, but I didn't move her or get her in, but maybe she stayed there too long, because I've just done a search on it and funnilly enough one of the main symptoms is A BRIGHT RED TONGUE and that is the very first thing I noticed about Zena, like I said earlier, it was as if she'd eaten a red lollypop! If it was heatstroke, then methinks I got her to the vet just in time because the drugs administered to her, especially the temperature lowering drug, have probably saved her life! Along with my constant wet, cold towel application of course, to help her get off to sleep, she really did love me doing that even though she was still in a horrendous state when we got back from the vets, worse than she was when we were IN there! Shock is another symptom and of course, she probably was in shock with all her weird actions, staring etc. It all seems to fit doesn't it, and maybe the vet even had that at the back of her mind too??
H my friends dog had heat stroke quite recently and he knew there was something not right, I guess each dog will react differently but he had to hand feed water as his dog struggled to even take water, his dog was very lethargic and very unsettled couldn't sit still and was always pacing, changing places etc then sort of flopping as if very tierd. The vet did blood tests and the levels were off the scale confirming heat stroke and suggesting kidney damage, the good news was his quick acting (cold towels and getting dog to vet) meant that after a day levels returned to near normal.

Fingers crossed you get a diagnosis tonight that will put your mind at rest hugs to you and Zena xxx
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Only just seen this H.
Hope Zena is a lot better by now. I think you have covered every possibility, so hopefully she will be back to her old(young) self shortly.
Hugs to you all.
dori-katie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Hope she is feeling better, When I read your post I thought she may of been stung, we have got bumble bee crawling around our garden at the moment.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh my love - you have been through the mill today and that lovely girl of yours.
I have been reading the updates but have not been able to log on to reply as have been at work.
What a horrible, horrible worrying time for you. I am glad she is a little easier now.
I must be honest and say if it was me I would be popping to the vet's tonight even if she is looking better. I would not want another night like last night if I was you and would want to try and set my mind at rest.
((hugs for you all))
xxxxx
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Hope Zena is feeling a bit better now. It must be such a worrying time, please keep us updated. ((hugs)) to you all.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

25-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Any news yet, Helena? I do hope Zena has turned the corner and is on the way to a full recovery. I mentioned heatstroke in one of my earlier responses (think on page 3). I know someone as well whose dog got heat stroke and he acted very quickly, as you did, and the dog is now on full recovery.

Please give big hugs to Zena. I am just back from Glasgow and need to go over to the local shops for a few bits and pieces.

Take care now and gentle healing hugs to Zena. You are a good Mummy and you did really well getting Zena to the vet so quickly.

Love xx
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 04:10 PM
JUST logged in and saw this, am hoping that she is better soon, i havent read the whole thread just the first and last pages so hoping she is ok.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, we've only just got up, and I am very pleased to report..........
I'VE GOT MY VELCRO ZENA BACK!!!! BIG TIME!!!!!

She greeted me with the normal gusto, toy fetching, tail wagging, ears back, singing that I'm sooooo used to instead of the half hearted can't be bothered one I got this morning. She was ravenous and ate half a tin of their bland food, which she couldn't cope with the stickiness of it (she's not used to wet food Lol) and kept presenting me with big clumps to break up for her, awwwwww, of course I did!!!! I'd already cooked them a chicken so I mixed that in with it, and tonight, hopefully the ab's will go down with the chicken no problem. I managed to do the syringe of the gut soother, and she was more than willing to let me stick that big syringe in her mouth too, which quite shocked me actually!

I filled up the pool at the BACK of the house where it's cool, on the decking and she's been acting the loon, splashing around in the cold water with her toys, now she's sleeping again,well, settled nicely at my feet, no panting, no rapid breathing, no nothing, she's well happy now, and she did me a nice firm little poo after tea, I couldn't wish for more really could I!!!

I've just cancelled that appointment for 6pm, because quite honestly, I feel I don't want to stress her out yet again, I want her to stay nice and quiet today, totally relaxed, we've been nowhere, and I'm darn sure because of that horrendous red tongue and mouth last night (NEVER seen a tongue like that before ever!)plus the excessive heavy panting which was relieved by my application of the cold towels, that she did have some kind of heatstroke and I'm very lucky I spotted her being off-colour when I did, otherwise I think things might have been very different this morning!

Oh I did miss her stuck to me like glue, I missed putting the washing out alone, I missed being in my kitchen alone, and in here on the puter, coz she's always, always behind me somewhere keeping those beady eyes on me just in case I escape!!!

Yet another nightmare over I hope, and if it wasn't for all your brilliant support, somehow I don't think I'd get through them all as well as I do! So thankyou from the bottom of my heart, especially to Elaine for being there for me at the end of the phone, and she caught me crying when she first picked it up on our first ever chat too, but I'm more than sure she understood why! Thanks for all my lovely pm's too, I'm so glad I've lived here for so long with all my friends here.xxxxxxxxxx
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 04:53 PM
Gosh I've been out all day & when I started to read this my first thoughts were heat stroke, my dark GSDs used to love lying out in the sun, so I used to hose them down & they soon came indoors or got out of the sun.

My Beardie Hiedi had heat stroke at Leeds Champ show one year & the vet immersed her in water & we took her home when it was cooler, stopping every 15 minutes & soaking her again. We even stopped at a Lorry drivers stop-over & took her in the showers & soaked her through again.

She was a blue & always suffered when it was hot.

Glad to here your super girl is back to normal
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Glad to hear Zena is feeling a bit better lovely! That was a bit of a scare for you!!!! Hope you're feeling a bit better now H xxx
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »