Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So what am I looking out for with dehydration?

Can I just call them and tell them I'm worried then? I don't want to have to put him through sedation etc if it's not necc!
Tacky gums, pull the skin up on the back of his neck, it should snap back quickly and be loose and fairly floppy. A dehydrated dogs skin will take longer to go back to normal and will feel a bit "stiffer."
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Just googled it - Cerenia.

Says if a dog continues to vomit then may be something underlying.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
So what am I looking out for with dehydration?

Can I just call them and tell them I'm worried then? I don't want to have to put him through sedation etc if it's not necc!
Dawn has replied about the dehydration...

Pidge , this is rather a difficult situation, I don't want to seem to be over reacting or to alarm you unnecessarily and you are as you say taking advice from your vets.
But if I was in your position and taking everything you have told us into account I would not want to leave Woody too long before further action is taken to sort out the problem .
I would not be comfortable about the continued drooling and vomiting.

As a bossy owner and a paying customer I would be hassling the vet ..
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Pidge I havn't seen Woody in person so can't be sure how bad he is but from what you are describing I am afraid if it were one of mine I would have them in the vet and on a drip and further tests then done as necessary.
I know you don't want to stress him out but once he is settled there and you are gone he will more than likely just rest and maybe rest better than at home as our dogs do worry about what we are doing ill or not, and try to keep one eye on us there he won't have that worry.
If he still stresses then they will give him a mild sedative, not knock him out just something to relax him.
I am seriously worried about Woody and dehydration and if he is no better by now I would honestly consider taking him back and suggesting they keep him in.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Oh dear he doesn't sound too good still does he

If he was sick again you say on the duvet, and there was copious amounts of it, is that because he's eaten??? If not, then I'd be seriously worried about a blockage, as it means the last meal he had hasn't passed through and it should be long gone by now IF he hasn't eaten since all this started?

I'm afraid I agree with the others now, the sickness should have passed, especially after a jab like he had (unless of course, that is causing it if he had a severe reaction to it, did you ask the vet about that?) Have you got diarrhea yet, or has he passed nothing the other end? If the answer to that last question is no, then I'd definitely be on to that vet again. Even if he's being quiet, he should be improving on the whole, not still drooling and being sick. I'm so sorry you're having to watch him like this, poor boy.

I once had a horse who had something stuck half way down his throat, and he wasn't choking, but I knew something was wrong because of all the drool coming out of his mouth, and I don't know if it's the same with dogs? good luck whatever you decided to do, I'd just like to hear he's on the mend.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Just on a note re leaving Woody at the vet...

Max has to be muzzled at the vets. He has bitten every vet in the practice and one of the nurses and me whilst being treated for all sorts of things (both routine and emergency)

He had a lump removed last month and needed a GA etc. I made them make a note on his file that he was nervous and prone to biting and they should muzzle him. He doesn't give many signals that most people can read - he has bitten whilst 'looking' happy and wagging his tail....

After dropping him off at 8am, I picked him up at teatime and spoke to the surgeon who did his op. Apparantly as soon as I was out of the building, Max's demeanour changed. He wasn't on guard, panicky or aggressive. They didn't muzzle him, and barely held him down when they stuck a needle in his leg for the GA. He didnt exhibit ANY of the symptoms of nerves or aggression that he usually does.

Of course, as soon as I had hold of his lead, he turned round and tried to bite the surgeon

Without me there (or even in the building) Max was a different dog. They did things to him that usually require a muzzle and 2 or 3 adults holding him down, with one person and no muzzle.

Please don't worry about insisting that Woody stays in the vets - the vets know how to handle difficult dogs; and Woody will be fine. I suspect you'll need more TLC than he will! (((HUGS))) for you and Woody - don't worry about the slobber, I'm used to it!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Am sorry Woody is poorly,hope he feels better soon and you find out what's going on, sending him a hug x
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Skin is loose, gums look normal. He's just lying there.

He did drink at 11.30 today. Lots so he won't be dehydrated that fast.

Will call the vets again with an update in an hour. He' sno worse, just no better but they did say if it's a gastro bug thing it could take up to 3 days.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Pidge---I'd get him into the vets and something done about it FAST!

If your vet is reluctant find another one tonight and explain that you are really worried.

He could have a blockage or have taken poison somehow. It needs sorting fast. The injection hasn't worked so it is a bit more serious than they first thought.

Good luck----thinking of you.

rune
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi Pidge, I'm so sorry Woody is so ill. Its so nerve wracking to be going through this.

I understand your hesitation about leaving at the vets or having the xrays done, but I can say from experience that if he DOES have an intestinal obstruction, waiting even 24 hours can mean the difference between life and death. The longer the intestines are obstructed, the more at risk they are for necrosis and thats a whole other ballgame.

Keep us updated.
Page 7 of 11 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »