Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
That is probably quite stressful for the dogs!

In schutzand isn't it often advised to calm the dog (variety of methods) after drive work to reduce stress?

Reward based emthods always start from the basis of negative punishment state anyway (no reward) which acts as a mild stressor.

Adam
No, its excitement and exercise.

IMO Sch is based on positive reinforcement as the sleeve is a reward, its a big game! They love it. They are encouraged to get excited over the sleeve to start with and progress from there.........and the rest is tracking which is a plesure to many dogs then the rest is obedience work.

What makes you think positive reinforcement always starts with a negative?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
No, its excitement and exercise.

IMO Sch is based on positive reinforcement as the sleeve is a reward, its a big game! They love it. They are encouraged to get excited over the sleeve to start with.........and the rest is tracking which is a pleseure to many dogs then the rest is obedience work.

What makes you think positive reinforcement always starts with a negative?
cos he is grasping at straws lol
I believe he is saying that if you show the dog the treat then withold it then that is punishing the dog

totaly misses the point of training, or those of us who have treats, toys, smiles and pats all hidden away to bring out if the dog does something great - mine dont often get to see the reward first - getting rewarded is always an option - and they are not living their lives in stress for the anticipation
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Also, many dogs can desensitise easily and build quite a tolerance to anything, so what happens with an E-collar then? You just get a stronger one? One that will burn? Isnt that telling you that the method isnt working?
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Right i need a volunteer.

Adam has voluntered to wear the e collar. now i need someone to eat the Malteasers.

Im going to keep shocking & feeding & find out who is most stressed at the end. Jeeezzzzzz
ME!!!!! on one condition, you have it turned up on the highest setting for that sadistic, barbaric "person"!!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Life has stress - but it isnt all bad

anticipation, excitment could be called stress, but life would be dull without them

aprehension, fear, shutting down - why do our dogs need these things in their lives

and I do not see examples of positive training not working
If adam is usint the example that some people cannot train their dogs as positive not working then that is so wron
From what I see in the real world v few people train totaly positivly
Most people (not including people on this forum) reward dogs randomly and confusingly and tend to yell at their dogs and punish them randomly as well
training happnes inspite of the trainer

positive training works in all inteligent creatures
as does correctly timed punishments - but for different reasons

I think it is sad that just because dogs tend to be forgiving enough to let us away with punishing them that we abuse this power
Noone puts a shock collar on a domestic cat, or a mouse
yet people can and do train them using positive methods

as for shock collars 'saving' a dog from a restricted life
how free are they if they are fearing the freedom will bring them pain and being glued to their owners as the only safe place in the scary big world?
as a pose to the owner having the sense to work with their dog and train them with kindness and find safe places for them to be free

Mia is not 100% recal, and possibly never will be - even with a shock collar yet every day she is offlead because i find safe places to take her and I understand her triggers and recal her before trouble arisies
Her life is not restricted - infact it is fuller than it would have been because I have to be more imaganitive about where I take them
but
she is the type of dog who NEEDS to zoom, to run free
and seeing her in the distance, zooming all over the place at 200 mph with no fear only joy - I would never swap that for a poor scared cringing dog who clings to my leg

Personaly I dont see why we think we have the right to punish a dog because we are not smart enough to teach them what we would like them to do
They are not being bad - they are just being dogs, so its wrong to punish them for being themselves
You miss so much of your dog if you punish him until he 'behaives' because then they just stop doing things

You make them dumb, you make them scared, and you restrict their enjoyment of life
For interest, I've seen otters being clicker trained.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:23 PM
I volunteer with Blair Drummond Safari park in Scotland, the Bear in pets corner is clicker trained.
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:24 PM
Wouldnt advice anyone to start doing recall with him though
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Cats, Bears, Dolphins, Dogs.....just not in AP's opinion
Even goldfish have been trick trained with positive reinforcement!

Adam how come world class trainers can use this method in very distracting environments etc and succeed if, as you say, positive dosnt work?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by abbie View Post
I did not imply that I saw anything horrible happen other than the dogs being shocked. In my opinion I found it awful.
and that's absolutely fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion

We don't even know for sure who it was anyway.

Wys
x
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Something I find amusing is that some people manage to train a dog without having any knowledge of the various dog training methods and science out there, let alone barbaric ones. My dad, for example - if you wanted to classify it, you'd call it positive but it's just natural empathy/understanding really.
That makes my dad a better 'trainer' than AP, despite AP's supposed qualifications.
Closed Thread
Page 68 of 98 « First < 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 78 > Last »