register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Poll - Do you agree you should be alpha male over your dog?
Yes 70 39.33%
No 71 39.89%
Other, please specify 37 20.79%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 68 of 92 « First < 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 78 > Last »
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
I thought this was an interesting article:

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonli...0statement.pdf

Position Statement on the Use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals
American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Whether or not a lone wolf, sniffing around the periphery of a pack of wolves, stages a successful take-over or not, depends on several things. Firstly, not all lone wolves have alpha status (remember, I believe that alphas are born, not made, and are very rare - both in nature and in domestication). Secondly, the lone male wolf may simply try to join the pack - life as a lone wolf almost certainly means death - so let's take the scenario that our lone male wolf is an omega or a very low ranking beta at best. He will do everything he can to ingratiate himself with the pack, fawn, cower, roll on his back exposing his genitals, frantically lick the mouths of the resident wolves etc. etc. They may allow him to join, they may drive him away or they may even kill him. I am not sure what happens to a lone female wolf who tries to join a pack, I am guessing when I say the same as with a male.

So our lone wolf will either be killed, accepted, driven off but not killed or ... if he is an aspiring alpha ... will fight the beta enforcers and possibly the resident alpha and kill or be killed. It has to be remembered though that there are few alphas, so this lone wolf may not be an alpha, and may not want to stage a take-over, he may just want to join the relative safety of a pack. A wolf living on his own is not going to live long.

In a wild wolf pack, the breeding alpha female actually suppresses the oestrus of the rival females I understand ... how this is done, God only knows, but it is a known fact. So I am not sure it is accurate to say that all female wolves are breeders or potential breeders, some of them will have their oestrus suppressed by the alpha female. Inbreeding within the wolf pack does not happen, so the success of the species depends on those females that either are covered by a rogue lone male, or who run off with a rogue lone male and form a new pack.

I think my post is very muddled, but I hope you understand what I am saying Ben !
Ok, now that this thread is going wey further than the original posters question lets add a little to the wolf alpha theory!

Firstly, I do believe that alphas are 'born', but largely because they are confident animals; timid alphas don't tend to exist. In this way you can see that the most confident personality tends be at the top. The same with any mammal society.

When a wolf pack gets too big, due to social pressures or resource limits there will then be dispersers (lone wolves). Wolves are social animals and for then safety comes in numbers but there are a lot of dispersers and this has been crucial to the success of the species. They will travel for huge distances in search of a mate or new pack that needs to expand. They have been tracked over great distances; for example Italian wolves have got as far as spain without being noticed in France.

Social pressures within wild packs can create very different behaviour. Aggressive behaviour is often seen in packs where they are under pressure from reduced rersources (prey, territory etc). In packs where the density of wolves is very low (Algonquin, Canada; Theberge)) the pressures are different and relatives will travel from pack to pack and interbreed, also these relatives have been known to visit neighboring packs and return to their own.

As for Alphas breeding, it does appear normal to have a breeding pair but it is not un-known for another female to breed as well. Unfortunately it appears that non of the wolves have ever read any text books, but the great thing about science is that it constantly evolves and what is a hard and fast fact today is disproved history tommorow. As nobel prize winning animal behaviourist Konrad Lorenz is reputed to have said: How could I have got it so wrong?

In a captive pack of wolves the pressures are greatly increased and you will often see signs of this (flesh wounds near the tale region on some animals) where animals would normaly disperse or live on the pack periphery. If the Alpha dies then there is not necessarily a replacement to be found within the pack which would back up the concept of the alpha being 'born' or simply having the right personality, if you prefer. There are several good examples of this, one being a captive pack in France where the 'alpha' was poisoned by a member of the public. This pack continued in a state of melt down for months until it was broken up into small units -before it functioned well.

While some wolf ancestry applies to dogs, much does not. Wolves (male and female) have a short breeding season, there is a hierarchy for breeding rights etc, but domestic animals (humans included) have no such constraints. Domestication has changed many of the patterns and survival needs.

Mini : I have never owned a hybrid. I have owned a wolf cross. There is no such thing as a wolf hybrid.
Sorry but this is not true. Hybrid is a term that means the offspring of two animals or plants of different species OR varieties. Thus a wolf and a dog may be regarded as either the same species just different varieties (they can interbreed freely; so this is the best definition) or two different species in which case the same applies. When you buy an F1 hybrid tomato plant it is only a cross of varieties; not a cross between a cabbage and a tomato. Some dog breeders will deliberatly use the word 'hybrid' to advertise pups as it will bring a greater price than using the word 'cross'.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Well, they always say attack is the best form of defence !!

Correct me if I'm wrong Mini, but wasn't it you who said that bitches don't regurgitate for their pups ? I did a google search, and I have to admit, I couldn't find any scientific evidence for this, except for a posting on Dogsey - which was from you, explaining to someone that bitches DO regurgitate !!

I am very confused here too !!
Gnasher you are wrong yet again , I never said any such thing. Yet again you seem unable to grasp what has been said. Let me repeat what I posted for the third time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minihaha

May I clarify the point about regurgitation ...
Quote:
Abstract: Few studies of monogamous canids have addressed regurgitation in the context of extended parental care and alloparental care within family groups. We studied food transfer by regurgitation in a pack of wolves on Ellesmere Island, North West Territories, Canada during six summers from 1988 through 1996. All adult wolves, including yearlings and a post-reproductive female, regurgitated food. Although individuals regurgitated up to five times per bout, the overall ratio of regurgitations per bout was 1.5. Pups were more likely to receive regurgitations (81%) than the breeding female (14%) or auxiliaries (6%). The breeding male regurgitated mostly to the breeding female and pups, and the breeding female regurgitated primarily to pups. The relative effort of the breeding female was correlated with litter size (τ de Kendall = 0.93, P = 0.01).

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/mammals/regurg/index.htm

Yes a bitch will sometimes regurgitate her food to her puppies. This often happens to wards the end of weaning when her milk is starting to dry up. Because the food has been chewed and mixed with the digestive fluids in the bitches stomach, I guess it may be easier for the puppies to digest but this behaviour is best prevented because it can cause the bitch to lose weight and correctly fed puppies have no need of this 'service'.

Now compare this behaviour with wolves, see the extract above. ''All adult wolves, including yearlings and a post-reproductive female, regurgitated food'' so it is not just the dam as in dogs, all adult wolves, so this is obviously the males too and a pack activity.

So just to recap ,'dogs' the male of the species (as opposed to the female 'bitches' ) do not regurgitate food for their young whereas male wolves do (as it would seem other females who are not the mothers of the young do).
A male wolf will also regurgitate 'to the breeding female' .

..you then you did a search and posted this older post where I said much the same thing that bitches sometimes regurgitate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnasher

I did a google search for "bitches regurgitating food for puppies" and found this on here, posted by Minihaha :

"Bitches may regurgitate food to feed to their puppies, this often occurs when the puppies are reaching the weaning stage. When the bitch eats the food it may be chewed/mixed with saliva/ making it easer for puppies to digest, so it is a natural behaviour."

..can I make it any clearer ?

Ps, Gnasher I haven't addressed any of the other points you mention though I think Wolfdogowner has. There seems little point in trying to debate anything with you, your previous posts in this thread make the reason for this very clear.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 10:45 AM
I've only ever had two bitches regurgitate for their pups, and usually just the once, and they always growled at the pups and gobbled it back up themselves lol!
Becky
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I've only ever had two bitches regurgitate for their pups, and usually just the once, and they always growled at the pups and gobbled it back up themselves lol!
Becky
Sounds very wolflike...

My pups always ask me to regurgitate my lunch for them though...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Patch, your girl sounds lovely

Gnasher, I seriously doubt that Patch bred from her!

I am really interested in links to any research done on wild wolf packs - I dont think captive wolf packs really help us understand behaviour that much as it is such an unatural situation

and I totaly agree that the more is studied the more we will learn, for example chimps were thought to have an alpha that lead with aggression and power displays, but looking at more and more groups it has been found that some take the top position by being diplomatic and making lots of friends
So we need studies of many many packs over long periods of time to understand anything of the pack dynamic

One thing tho
I cannot see that only the alpha wolves mate - if that was the case then Darwins work would tell us that over time wolves would evolve more 'alpha' characteristics
Also it is a lot of work for the alpha pair to raise many many litters for only a tiny few to go on to breed, nature isnt wastful
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Patch, your girl sounds lovely

Gnasher, I seriously doubt that Patch bred from her!

I am really interested in links to any research done on wild wolf packs - I dont think captive wolf packs really help us understand behaviour that much as it is such an unatural situation

and I totaly agree that the more is studied the more we will learn, for example chimps were thought to have an alpha that lead with aggression and power displays, but looking at more and more groups it has been found that some take the top position by being diplomatic and making lots of friends
So we need studies of many many packs over long periods of time to understand anything of the pack dynamic

One thing tho
I cannot see that only the alpha wolves mate - if that was the case then Darwins work would tell us that over time wolves would evolve more 'alpha' characteristics
Also it is a lot of work for the alpha pair to raise many many litters for only a tiny few to go on to breed, nature isnt wastful
Interesting point; firstly some alpha females have been observed having a quickie with another rank while the alpha male isn't looking... then bringing up the pups is a communal affair with a non breeding female taking charge of the pups for mum while she goes out. Uncles and last years juveniles will also have a large input to the raising of the pups in their first few months.

Your point about chimps is also very valuable- there are many different ways of holding a social group together.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I thought this was an interesting article:

http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/dominance%20statement.pdf

Position Statement on the Use of Dominance Theory in Behavior Modification of Animals
American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior
Good article!
Really interesting points - like the difference between an alpha and a leader
How we missuse the tearm dominance to mean badly trained
How the submissive animal only defers to the alpha when they are there, but if trained and something is a habbit it happens whether the leader is there or not
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by wolfdogowner View Post
Interesting point; firstly some alpha females have been observed having a quickie with another rank while the alpha male isn't looking... then bringing up the pups is a communal affair with a non breeding female taking charge of the pups for mum while she goes out. Uncles and last years juveniles will also have a large input to the raising of the pups in their first few months.

Your point about chimps is also very valuable- there are many different ways of holding a social group together.
Yes I agree that the other wolves are helping to raise the cubs
But my understanding is that the wolves raising the cubs are the previous litters of the alpha pair - the siblings of that litter - and they have not yet reached sexual maturity
When they do they then leave to form their own packs
wolfdogowner
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-05-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yes I agree that the other wolves are helping to raise the cubs
But my understanding is that the wolves raising the cubs are the previous litters of the alpha pair - the siblings of that litter - and they have not yet reached sexual maturity
When they do they then leave to form their own packs
'Nanny' wolves would be non breeding females that are mature, the same with some 'Uncles', the juveniles will help but would not be in charge so to speak.

Not all juveniles will leave the pack when they will mature; this depends on the natural size of the pack. Very few wolves in the pack will breed, but breeding will depend on other pressures, its been shown that when the population is under threat they will panic breed to fill the gap left (by extermination from hunting etc) and in quieter times will have fewer pups.
Page 68 of 92 « First < 18 58 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 78 > Last »